View Full Version : medication xanax?

rsmurf04
04-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Has anyone taken this? What the stor?

e5shea
04-04-2008, 12:25 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanax

If doc prescribed...you probably will benefit from them

If the neighbor kid gave them to you, they're nothing to write home about.

Waffles
04-04-2008, 01:05 AM
I think they FDA only allows for Xanax to be presribed for 8 weeks, but it's done regularly for years. It's a commonly abused drugs. Some people snort it for a quicker effect, but it actually loses it's potency when snorted and is also not water soluable.

I used to date a woman who'd been prescribed it and got hooked. She'd taken it for over two years and coming off of it was kinda scary. I did a lot of reading on it, and guys who'd kicked a lot of the heavy drugs have said that Xanax was harder to kick than anything else.

Hrod382
04-04-2008, 01:29 AM
I work in a pharmacy... Lets just say some people really dig that stuff and will annoy the hell out of you until they find a way to get it.

Most seem to take vacations a week before it's due every month and want it early, kinda odd haha. With that said, don't think it's something you get hooked on in a second. It's just a person to person thing, some of those folks sell it I'm sure and there are plenty that use it with good results but aren't hooked.

PaulFiveOh
04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
If you take more than a therapeutic dose, you will feel "drunk" during the half life of the drug. One does not lose their fine motor skill but does lose inhibitions and reasoning skills.
It is illegal to eat them with out a prescription as they are a Schedule 2 drug.

Seriously, if you have a history of mental illness and these WERE NOT perscribed to you, do not eat them. They can cause serious hypermanic/hyperdepressed moods.

cobra_SVT_Girl
04-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Kind of what everyone else said....

Xanex is a benzodiazepine, which were originally created as a short-term treatment for high levels of anxiety and/or insomnia. You can develop tolerance and dependence to benzos VERY quickly. The problem is, you go to your primary care physician (PCP) and tell him your not sleeping or have some anxiety and BOOM...here's your rx for Xanex, Valium, etc. It is way over prescribed (I think anyway) and benzos are very dangerous to withdraw from. On an unrelated note....alcohol is THE MOST dangerous substance to withdraw from. That can actually kill you...benzo w/draw will make you feel uncomfortable, but alcohol detx can kill ya.

However, they can be effective if taken per MD order and for short periods of time. For example, if you are nervous to fly, the MD can write you an rx for Xanex and you'd be fine.

I'm my opinion....if you are prescribed Xanex from your PCP I would want to investigate:
1. Is there a general medical condition causing lack of sleep and/or anxiety---you always want to rule out medical first. PCP's usually don't do that and just write you an rx on the spot. And this is why ppl "Dr shop" to get as many of the rx's as possible from dif MDs.
2. If you have a dx of Generalized Anxiety Disorder...this may be the only route to go, but taking rx long-term is rarely the best choice. I would talk to someone first and maybe you can alleviate the symptomology w/out the use of meds.
3. If you do take them.....make sure you keep yourself in check.....benzo addiction is like 3rd highest on the list, cause it makes ppl feel better almost instantly (and it's pretty cheap).

I have worked in the substance abuse field and most of my education has been related to substance abuse. I know we also have some nurses on here too that could provide a little more insight.

Good luck! The internet is your friend..... :)

Katmandu
04-05-2008, 05:53 AM
If you have a dx of Generalized Anxiety Disorder...this may be the only route to go, but taking rx long-term is rarely the best choice. I would talk to someone first and maybe you can alleviate the symptomology w/out the use of meds.Very good med for treating Anxiety, Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia.

A lot more folks have these disorders that people realize. I've known several folks that have benefited greatly from Xanax/Therapy.

As others said, it's easy to abuse and hard to get off of. :rolleyes: