PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Prayers for 2 Colerain Firefighters and family

89notch
04-04-2008, 10:52 AM
A sad sad day

COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, Ohio --

Two firefighters were killed in a fire in Colerain Township on Friday morning.

The fire was reported around 6:30 a.m. at a home on Squirrels Nest Lane. Two members of the first arriving Colerain Township fire crew went into the home to start fighting the fire.

More firefighters arrived but they lost radio contact with the firefighters. A second alarm was issued and units from nearby Fairfield were called to assist.

Shortly thereafter, the fire command still could not reach the lost firefighters and made a mayday call to track all the firefighters. Other firefighters found a fire hose in the home without anyone around it.

Fire Department spokesman Steve Conn said that it appears that the home's floor collapsed, sending both firefighters into the basement. Both were covered in rubble when they were found, Conn said.

No names have been released. Conn said both firefighters' bodies have been recovered from the home.

The last time a Colerain Township firefighter died in the line of duty was in the 1970s, Conn said.

The two people living in the home escaped without injury.

Conn said more information about the fire and the firefighters will be released at an 11 a.m. news conference.

facemelter71
04-04-2008, 10:57 AM
My dad is over there right now and im makin calls to fellow Colerain twnshp fire fighters.I dont think the news will release the info yet.........Very sad day.:(

Black Horse
04-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Damn I hate to hear that..interested to know who it was, I know a couple of Colerain Firefighters. Their families are in my prayers....in the line of duty, that's a bitter pill.

Don't always get to say it, I know there are firefighters on here - thanks guys and gals for everything you do, for putting you life on the line each and every day!

YouGotJunk
04-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Thoughts and prayers to both families...Sucks when some good people are just trying to help others out..and end up losing their life over it.

Mr.Moontang
04-04-2008, 11:18 AM
I just found out about this I have the families and fellow fireman in my thoughts and prayers...

Bluecrew07
04-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Thoughts and prayers to both of the families. Very sad to hear

99Slobra
04-04-2008, 12:13 PM
RIP. Always sad to hear that.

08 Vette
04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
One male and One female Firefighter Lost their life. Very sad.
I have a few friends on the Colerain Crew.
Prayers are with all involved.

MrsAPE
04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Firefighters were...Firefighters Robin Broxterman, 37, and Brian Schira, 29, were killed in the line of duty in the basement of the home.

DeckerEnt
04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I heard they fell through the floor. A sad day indeed. Thoughts and prayers to the families.
Keith

Holly
04-04-2008, 01:35 PM
SO sad. Thoughts and prayers are with the family. I heard about it as I was leaving home this morning, it was "breaking news". :(

mach_u
04-04-2008, 02:54 PM
That's horrible! I have several friends and family that are firefighters and just the thought of it is horrible! Thoughts and prayers to their family!

PonymanfiveO
04-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Someone who is willing to run in while everyone is running out...thats a hero.

so sad, prayers to their family's.

92BlackStang
04-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Someone who is willing to run in while everyone is running out...thats a hero.

so sad, prayers to their family's. well said :bigthumb

mustang8998
04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Thats what Heroes do. They put their life on the line, to help others. Unfortunately, they paid the ultimate price.

They are in my thoughts and prayers, as well as their loved ones.

Firefighters, police and our soldiers, are all heroes, in my book.
Thanks for all you do!

dedpedal
04-04-2008, 07:11 PM
I heard about this around lunchtime. Robin is my employer's neighbor. Thoughts and prayers to their familys.

Jeepman1991
04-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I wento Oak Hills with all the Zangs.

Robin was a year behind me.

Sad to hear.

Katmandu
04-05-2008, 05:48 AM
Very sad. :(

My thoughts and prayers got out to them.

R825OH
04-05-2008, 10:44 AM
WEnt to school with Robin Sad to hear of this loss

Mrs. Stang38L
04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
God Bless you "Chico"and Robin. :(

SWEET GT
04-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I have a heavy heart today.

I met Brian (Chico) at Jtaps on Glenway, the Saturday night of Cavalcade weekend. My girlfriend knew him, and her friend was good friends with him. Real nice, personable guy.

It's a shame what happened, and they are the true definition of the word "hero".

My thoughts and prayers are with their fellow firefighters who have lost a brother and sister, and also with the families during this very rough time.

Blonde_5.0
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
This is so sad..anyone in the Downtown Cincinnati can hear the Bag Pipes just being played...broke my heart...I feel for their famililes.

facemelter71
04-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Its hard for me to watch it live.Very sad day.

Blonde_5.0
04-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Agreed... I had to stop the Live feed...made me cry...can't do that at the front desk

facemelter71
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I walked into the lunch room to watch it on the tv and one guy was in there and said "they sure are makin a big deal of this".I really wanted to choke him out right there.

bobtsgt
04-09-2008, 11:39 AM
the persesion is suppose to come down Spring Grove all the way to the cemetery. My sister (is an EMS) is coming down to watch it pass by the shop with me.

Steves LX
04-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I wanted to go with a couple members from our department in Sardinia but I had some meetings today that I couldn't miss. I'm pretty choked up watching it on the web. I'm kinda glad I decided to not go. I worked with Robin's Fiancee Don over at Green Twp. before we moved out to Sardinia. I've said it 1000 times since Friday morning but I'll say it again my heart goes out to Robin and Brian and their families.

Stang 38L
04-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Im watching the live feed as well. Words cant really explain the honor and emotion that is being shown for these two. It is hard to sit and not tear up while at work.

cobrajoe
04-09-2008, 12:31 PM
the persesion is suppose to come down Spring Grove all the way to the cemetery. My sister (is an EMS) is coming down to watch it pass by the shop with me.

when is it supposed to come past your shop?

SS ETR
04-09-2008, 12:34 PM
We did two 10'x24' banners in one piece for the fire dept. My designer:lol: spelled it wrong. my to best friends worked side by side with them at colerain. very sad.

bobtsgt
04-09-2008, 01:14 PM
when is it supposed to come past your shop?

no idea. ceremony at the church is still going on.

BIGHONKEY
04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
no idea. ceremony at the church is still going on.

What shop do you work at? They passed my work here on Blue Rock St. I work across from the fire dept. Very sad.

bobtsgt
04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I work down next to Queen City Sausage and across from KOIs warehouse.

Looks like they are getting ready to leave the church now. Heading down 9th, then Dalton, then all the way down Spring Grove.

bobtsgt
04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
My sister (EMS), my step father (firefighter/EMS), my mother and I stood through the whole persession. We were amazed at how far departments have came for this. Saw a couple of people I knew and started to cry a little. It felt good to pay my respects this way. I want to thank everyone that put it all out on the line. You all are true heroes.

MsBlkramair
04-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I am a mortuary science student right now.....we had the live feed on in class today. We were discussing the roles of the funeral directors throughout the procession, and about the cememtery they were going to and the organization ofthe procession and how the mass would go. It was very educational watching it actually hapening, instead of always just talking about it in class. It was a very touching procession. Beautifully done.

MrsAPE
04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
^They are beautiful.

Black Hole
04-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Emily's best friend worked with both of em. :(

Mrs. Stang38L
04-10-2008, 07:30 AM
It was deffinately a beautiful service.

I am still crushed over them passing, I just cant believe possibley a light in a pot growing room started it all. I heard the home owner knew there was smoke in the basement, saw the lamp was smoking put it out with a fire extinguisher then dumped water on it just to "be safe".....not sure if its true but if its so that guy is a moron. But i guess we'll all find out the cause soon enough. I just hope that hidden room wasnt the main cause of their deaths :( Its so sad.

Chico is now rocking up in heaven.

Jeepman1991
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Just out of curiosity. I have been wondering why they were in the house after everyone was out? As I understand the owners actually called 911.

What is the reason for going into a empty house? What is the policy for that?

I wanted to go with a couple members from our department in Sardinia but I had some meetings today that I couldn't miss. I'm pretty choked up watching it on the web. I'm kinda glad I decided to not go. I worked with Robin's Fiancee Don over at Green Twp. before we moved out to Sardinia. I've said it 1000 times since Friday morning but I'll say it again my heart goes out to Robin and Brian and their families.

MrsAPE
04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Most firefighters I know will actually try to save someones house as well. It's not just people they go after and then let the place burn. And the owner called too late. Tried to fight it himself first.

FireStang02
04-10-2008, 01:20 PM
As a firefighter I have to comment on why they would be in the house. Ummm...its on FIRE. Who else is gonna put it out? We are in the business of protecting life and property. There are a lot of arm chair quarterbacks who will say things like they shouldn't be in an unoccupied house. We risk a little to save a little, risk a lot to save a lot. The house appeared to have a small fire on arrival, so they went in to put out the fire.

fastone
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
As a firefighter I have to comment on why they would be in the house. Ummm...its on FIRE. Who else is gonna put it out? We are in the business of protecting life and property. There are a lot of arm chair quarterbacks who will say things like they shouldn't be in an unoccupied house. We risk a little to save a little, risk a lot to save a lot. The house appeared to have a small fire on arrival, so they went in to put out the fire.

Agreed!!! As a Ky firefighter/medic I was ask this same question Saturday morning. Just because everyone is out of a house doesn't mean we stay out. The fire is still going..... There is alot of things that go into making decisions on either sending guys in or staying out...... And a fire at a home at 7am, normal people would think there could be someone inside. Also with that, who's to say that dispatch didn't pass on all the info to the fire guys/gals!? Im sure other FF's and Cops on here will tell you, if you call 911, what you tell 911 doesn't always get passed on to us the same way...... that is just human nature!!!

But it was a said day at my firehouse yesterday, we were on shift yesterday and we were glued to the TV from 11am till 430pm.......

One last one, I heard something interesting from Wyoming's Fire Chief yesterday on Channel 12, he was telling people to stop at there local fire house and say hi and such. For myself, I love the public stopping in and see what there tax money goes for and for the little ones to play on the trucks!

Steves LX
04-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Just out of curiosity. I have been wondering why they were in the house after everyone was out? As I understand the owners actually called 911.

Just like a couple others said, there are a lot of factors that play into whether we go in or stay out. I'm not going to go to in depth on this or we could be here all day. There's an offensive attack which you enter the structure on the non burning side and extinguish the fire to try to save the structure. There's a defensive attack which is pretty much the structure is pretty much history and it is way to unsafe to enter and that also means even if people are entrapped unfortunately. Our safety is first. It does us or our partners no good if we put our safety in jeopardy. Now like it was already mentioned above the call came in I beleive at 6:10A.M. Friday morning. Most people are either in bed or just getting ready for work at that hour not to mention peoples cars in the driveway. Thats a pretty good clue that hey there may be someone inside still. My understanding is they called 911 from a neighbors house. Now this next statement is an assumption on my part and I could be wrong but I would guess that the comm center mentioned nothing about where the call came in from or whether there was entrapment. And when that happens its up to the Incident Commander or OIC to make that split second decision to go in or not to go in. I also beleive that when they pulled up there was smoke showing from a 2 story structure but no flames. Also its a basement fire and apparently only one way to access it and that was thru the house. I would guess there were no windows or walkout door for the basement from the exterior. I personally wasn't there so all I can go off of is assumptions and past experience and knowledge and I hate to assume anything ecspecially when there's fatalities and I don't know what Colerain Twp's SOP's(standard operating procedures) are for structure fires. So I hope this helps you some. If not I guess you will need to go to school for 240hrs to become a firefighter and another 3-6 months for EMT school and then another whole year for paramedic school if you desire to become a Medic.

Mista Bone
04-10-2008, 02:47 PM

The inital call to the fire department was from the alarm company, NOT the pot growing owners. The first three that entered might have not known the house was already empty IF the owners took shelter in a neighbors house.