PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brakes On a 2004 Cobra

SVT Fan
04-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Hey guys I have been trying to get rear brakes put on my car and im having some trouble.I have got the calipers screwed all the way in and the new rotars on,but the calipers/pads will not fit over the rotar.I am lacking about 1/8 to 3/16 of a inch of clearing.I have tried two different sets of pads and still no luck.I would greatly appreciate any help.I would love to get it back on the road in this great weather!

IWRBB
04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
You have GT pads. You need Cobra pads, they are thinner. Just get the Ford replacements, they are a good pad for the car. The compund is unique to the 03-04 Cobras.

SVT Fan
04-09-2008, 07:54 AM
The people at Advanced Auto Parts are great for doing this crap. They gave me the wrong stuff for the front also,but at least they was so different I could tell.The ones on the back looked just like the ones I took off of it only new. Thanks alot for your help!

IWRBB
04-09-2008, 02:58 PM
They do look exactly the same as GT pads, they are just thinner when new. If you have to get it done that day, sometimes there's enough left on the old pad (usually on the non-piston side) to reuse it, then put in 1 new GT pad.

BTW, how the hell are the rear brakes burnt up already? High miles, lots of brakestand burnouts, or just plain hard braking from high speeds? I'm putting in a line lock to save the rears on mine during burnouts.

SVT Fan
04-10-2008, 02:51 PM
The car only has 25,000 miles on it. I have done alot of burnouts standing on the brakes. I like to street race alot and I love to get my nittos good and hot. I have got on the brakes alot at high speeds also. The front rotars had some warp in them when I bought the car at 17000 miles. I would say the car had seen a rougher life with the other guy than it ever will with me. I bought the car at Beechmont Ford last fall and I think the guy that had it before is a Stang bangerz member. His name is Brad I think not sure what his last name is.

08 Vette
04-10-2008, 03:23 PM
That's a nice car. I'm pretty sure that was one of the cars used for the Apten ported blower story that was in 5.0 and Race Pages.

SVT Fan
04-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks man I didnt know it was in a magazine.Do you happen to know what issue it was in? The car runs really good I think.

5.0calypso93lx
04-11-2008, 10:54 AM
The people at Advanced Auto Parts are great for doing this crap. They gave me the wrong stuff for the front also,but at least they was so different I could tell.The ones on the back looked just like the ones I took off of it only new. Thanks alot for your help!

The ONLY local parts store that had the cobra brake pads in stock was NAPA. Most of the other parts stores had the GT's and Cobra's pads under the same part number, which as previously mentioned, is not correct.

If you aren't road racing/autox'ing the car, I would just throw the NAPA pads in there.

I think that was Brad Birri's old car. Went to school with his sister.

BLWN
04-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Not mine, it went to Louisville... I think it was the other Brad. Black one with BBS wheels??

I still need to find a car :(