PDA

View Full Version : FYI for Dyno Day

cobra_SVT_Girl
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Just wanted to pass this along...it's already posted in the WW section, but I wanted to post it so everyone could see.

As part of the WW group, we have collectively decided to participate in a few community service activities this year. As part of this creed, we will be collecting purses at the Dyno Day and they will be donated to a local domestic violence shelter.

I worked for a domestic violence shelter for 6 years and it's so heartbreaking to see what some of these women go through. Some barely leave with the clothes on their backs and often come to the shelter with nothing. This is just a way to reach out the community and do a good thing for people who are less fortunate.

I know this board is predominantly male, but if you are bringing this Mrs/dtrs/etc along....just tell 'em about what were are doing.

Also...since we are on the topic I thought I'd share some facts about DV in the US. It's really amazing that this is STILL such a major issue.
Domestic violence is the single most common source of injury to women – it is more common than auto accidents, muggings, and rapes by a stranger combined.
97% of the women killed by another family member were killed by their husband.
More than 4,000 women each year are killed by their partners.
By age 20, 1 in 3 young women will experience dating violence.

THANKS GUYS!

cobrajoe
04-08-2008, 02:24 AM
I'll see what T has!
April is Autism Awareness Month! Look at T's page!
http://www.walknowforautism.org/siteapps/personalpage/ShowPage.aspx?c=qvI4IdNVJwE&b=3743571&sid=8qLNI6NGKiINKTPDIsH

Mista Bone
04-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Dani, you've dealt with DV as have I, or it's trappings.

You help a female who is being abused to protect her, but when the cops come she is so scared she sides with her "man" (I use that loosely!) so he doesn't goto jail.

The HAVE to (in a male term) grow balls and get the freak out at get help. Most of the time it is too late. The normal excuse is because of the kids.......who are also suffering.......and later will question mom as to why she stayed around an abusive partner.

Katmandu
04-08-2008, 06:53 AM
The HAVE to (in a male term) grow balls and get the freak out at get help. Most of the time it is too late. The normal excuse is because of the kids.......who are also suffering.......and later will question mom as to why she stayed around an abusive partner.It's a LOT harder than you think it is to ESCAPE and ABUSIVE situation!

Wear is she going to go if she has NO RESOURCES..... NONE !?!??? Family Abuse Shelters are only temporary. No a permanent solution. The shelters help them work on permanent solutions.

Katmandu
04-08-2008, 07:00 AM
As part of the WW group, we have collectively decided to participate in a few community service activities this year. As part of this creed, we will be collecting purses at the Dyno Day and they will be donated to a local domestic violence shelter.

I worked for a domestic violence shelter for 6 years and it's so heartbreaking to see what some of these women go through. Some barely leave with the clothes on their backs and often come to the shelter with nothing. This is just a way to reach out the community and do a good thing for people who are less fortunate. It's VERY coincidental that you posted this.

My wife "JUST" held a fundraiser this past Sunday for the Family Abuse Shelter here in Troy.

She's been in the Counseling career field for many years now. I remember (when she was doing her Interships at the Shelter) of the horrible stories she would witness every day.

Domestic Violence is more prevalent in our Society that folks realize. It happens in ALL Economic classes in our Society. NOT just those who live in Poverty. Chances are very good folks on this board KNOW someone who is an Abuser or has been effected by an Abuser.

cobra_SVT_Girl
04-13-2008, 07:02 PM
All I can say is WOW and THANK YOU. We have THREE full boxes of purses to donate to the House of Peace Battered Women's Shelter in Clermont County. WOOT WOOT WOOT!

I know I talked w/ some people yesterday who said you had some more to donate. Please just PM and let me know and we can meet to pick them up.

I spoke w/ the Director of the shelter who may coordinate some photo ops for us (not w/ the women d/t confidentiality of course). I already gave her a heads up that were were doing this and the ladies are pretty excited. I'm gonna drop off the majority of them Tuesday evening, then any others that trickle in I'll take care of.

I'm excited to hear what the ladies think when they get them. :) :angel:

Y'all did good!

Daney

MrsAPE
04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
^That is awesome to hear!! I think I told the ladies I know that they had till this coming friday so we'll hook up soon after that if I get a good number of them!!

MsBlkramair
04-13-2008, 10:52 PM
All I can say is WOW and THANK YOU. We have THREE full boxes of purses to donate to the House of Peace Battered Women's Shelter in Clermont County. WOOT WOOT WOOT!

I know I talked w/ some people yesterday who said you had some more to donate. Please just PM and let me know and we can meet to pick them up.

I spoke w/ the Director of the shelter who may coordinate some photo ops for us (not w/ the women d/t confidentiality of course). I already gave her a heads up that were were doing this and the ladies are pretty excited. I'm gonna drop off the majority of them Tuesday evening, then any others that trickle in I'll take care of.

I'm excited to hear what the ladies think when they get them. :) :angel:

Y'all did good!

Daney

Yeah, I saw all those purses. We did good. I would like to have gotten more though.:( (from my friends)

RACEME
04-14-2008, 06:17 AM
We still have several that Bri forgot to bring. I will get them to you soon.