PDA

View Full Version : Lotsa body roll on a fox

Aweasel
04-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Just got a 88 lx 5.0...anyway, I was under the car the other day and saw the springs haven't been indexed properly by whoever messed around with it. The bottom coil does is not set into the stamped area it was meant for. Would this cause the car to ride like complete shit, that is when I go through a turn or break + turn for whatever reason the car feels like it's going to go out on me. It actually did start going back and forth on the road so much that it took me a good bit of effort to wrestle it back under control. Someone even swerved out of the way in the oncoming lane but one rear tire was nearly flat so i thought that was the problem but it's still kinda sloppy. I never drove a fox before this so I thought perhaps they just handle like crap...I'm used to my iroc and z28 so it's a bit of a different ride.

Are they supposed to have this much bump steer? I feel like a small rock will send the front end out of control. Anyway, thanks for the help. I hope something's wrong because I don't know if I could get used to all this slop until I improve the suspension.

Sharad
04-08-2008, 05:56 AM
sounds like you have worn out bushings or ball joints. It's a 19 yr old car. It probably needs maintenance.

Energy Suspension
UPR
Maximum Motorsports

Those are good places to start.

Black Horse
04-08-2008, 07:11 AM
The Mustangs are very tempremental when it comes to handling. If you have wide tires on a stock suspension the car will "hunt" uncontrollably especially in highway ruts. Aftermarket shocks, springs, struts will certainly help as will adding a stiffer sway bar. More than likely your bushings are worn and you might want to check tie-rod ends and ball joints for slop.

Its all about what you want it to do for the dollars you are willing to spend...Maximum Motorsports kits can get it handling like a true sports car, but you will give up ride comfort.

I dont think not having one spring seated would cause what you are feeling. But it may be an indicator that someone has changed some things around.

I would start by taking it to an alignment shop, having them get it up on the rack, make sure the rear is following the front and then check out everything to make sure its tight and not wore out.

Aweasel
04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
thanks fellas

btw both front springs are not properly indexed but like you said, it's probably something else just tryin to knock out variables