PDA

View Full Version : Brake systems

DeckerEnt
04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I will soon be putting an entire braking system in my coupe. A few questions. The body is an 81, the pedals are from my 85, but I will be using v8 calipers and drums out back. Which master cylinder do I use? One from an 85,87-93, or can I use the one from the lincoln lsc? I heard it was better.
I will be running the brake lines myself too. I will get the hard line and I already have the plier type bender. I will be paying close attn to the cars at the cruise in. It is the brakes so it needs to work the first time every time.
Keith

cstreu1026
04-08-2008, 04:34 PM
I've hear that bending and flaring the brake lines can be a real pain. Unless you are trying to do something special you may be better off just buying pre-bent lines.

7upStang
04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
In 1987 Mustangs went ot larger front brakes so the size of the front brakes make affect the selection of the master cylinder you use. The reference I have does not say whether they changed the size of the master cylinder. But the master cylinder reserviour was redesigned for 1987 also.

DeckerEnt
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I will be using factory drums for the 8.8 and the larger disks up front. I scored a complete front brake set up. Spindles,rotors,calipers, all still together for 50 bones. Killer deal for me.
Keith

Timido
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/mc.html

Good read Keith, If you are keeping the drum rear brakes I think you want to stick with either a stock master or a smaller one. I would get one with SAE thread in it so you dont have problems finding the metric fittings. The stock fox masters were metric.

DeckerEnt
04-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks Tim. That was a good read and answered alot of the questions I had.
Keith