PDA

View Full Version : Garage door repair (coil spring busted)

Kevin Doe
04-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Last night I had one of the coil springs break on my garage door. Its one of those bars that goes acrosst the front of the door and has a spring wound up on it. The spring broke on one side. It looks like the cable that it winds up as the garage door goes up also came off track.

Anyone install garage doors that could repair. I need this done ASAP!

Thanks

5.0calypso93lx
04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Last night I had one of the coil springs break on my garage door. Its one of those bars that goes acrosst the front of the door and has a spring wound up on it. The spring broke on one side. It looks like the cable that it winds up as the garage door goes up also came off track.

Anyone install garage doors that could repair. I need this done ASAP!

Thanks

What kind of garage door opener is it? If its a craftsman, I just went through this a couple months ago. Unless you custom make something, it is honestly cheaper to go buy a new opener. One of the white plastic gears inside had the teeth shear off completely, and they are only available in a kit, which is stupid expensive. Maybe if you can get lucky and find the replacement part on ebay or something. Good luck.

mach_u
04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
PM DSSKing. He used to install them and might be able to help you out. You're lucky it wasn't one of the ones that open on either side. A lot of times they don't have safety wire and you could have done some MAJOR damage to your ride.

Kevin Doe
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
What kind of garage door opener is it? If its a craftsman, I just went through this a couple months ago. Unless you custom make something, it is honestly cheaper to go buy a new opener. One of the white plastic gears inside had the teeth shear off completely, and they are only available in a kit, which is stupid expensive. Maybe if you can get lucky and find the replacement part on ebay or something. Good luck.

My garage door opener is not damaged. The coiled spring that runs along the top of the door that assists the opener is broken.

It busted like a gunshot when I tried to open the garage door to park my car.

5.0calypso93lx
04-09-2008, 01:57 PM
My garage door opener is not damaged. The coiled spring that runs along the top of the door that assists the opener is broken.

It busted like a gunshot when I tried to open the garage door to park my car.

Ahh I see. That could have been dangerous.

DSSKing68
04-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I got your PM. I'll call you after work.

Kevin Doe
05-09-2008, 09:37 AM
DSSKing68 never got back with me so it motovated me to do it on my own. I did a little bit of research and it was a piece of cake. I'm actually glad he didn't call me back, it forced me to learn how to do it myself, and proably saved me a ton of money.

Here is a website with tons of information on springs, and a DIY procedure.
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

I ordered my new springs from this site. The total was $77 shipped to my door for two new springs with the ends already in them.
http://www.prodoorsupply.com/Build_Your_Garage_Door_Springs_s/8.htm

Overall it was a piece of cake. A little intimidating at first, but it was really pretty simple. Probalby only took me ~1.5 hours max, with me taking my time.