PDA

View Full Version : Corporate downsizing

Blackpony
04-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Yesterday I was brought into my bosses office and was informed that my position was being eliminated due to poor sales in the first quarter. Not just in my place but in the company as well. I work for a large paint company and it seems that our great economy has now forced me jobless. Higher raw materials costs and high low sales makes a great combination. I was with the company for 13 years with a very good career ahead of me. This really sucks not just with being jobless but now it looks like some other positions that I will be offered might force me to move. I did get a nice severance package so I have four months to decide what to do.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah man i feel your pain, i got laid off because of 3 plant closing. It's a bitch how companies look out for themselves and screw their employees.

k062693w
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Give a big THANKS to George W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cin_mustang
04-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Steve that sucks man. Sorry to hear it!

ibstrokin
04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Sucks to hear about your job. You may want to start checking the job market out now, it can take a few months to find a good job.

mach_u
04-10-2008, 09:45 PM
:rolleyes: :lol:

mustanginky
04-10-2008, 10:20 PM
yeah that does suck. luckily i work in a sector that is unaffected by the economy, i work for a prison, and it seems the worse the economy, the more people come in lol.

02mingryGT
04-11-2008, 07:31 AM

Show your intelligence.

02mingryGT
04-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah man i feel your pain, i got laid off because of 3 plant closing. It's a bitch how companies look out for themselves and screw their employees.

The way people say companies is the same way they talk about the government. It's laughable. It's called economics people. You should take some classes or check a book out at the library. It is NOT a good thing when a company has to lay-off experienced employees because when things do turn around they have to get by with unexperienced ones when they rehire.

If you want to blame someone blame the stock market. How many of you have 401K's or other stock? If your stock share is dropping then you would expect the board of directors of that company to do something about it wouldn't you? Well they are and the easiest and fastest way to cut cost is labor plain and simple.

Good luck on your job search Blackpony. I would start looking now as someone else said. It took me 4 months to get the job I have. Our Purchaser here left so instead of hiring someone I get to do some of his work now. But I'm still working.

Blackpony
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks to all. I do have some other options to consider. Before I came to cincinnati I worked in the R&D labs in chicago. I have been in contact with the hr person and with my experience I shouldn't have too much trouble getting a tech position. Also I was told about two positions that are open on the east coast so something to consider. I'm not too happy about having to move cause the misses is in school at NKU in there nursing program and my mother in law is so in love with my son it would break her heart if we had to move. I know she'd understand why its just she's the only grandmother my son has. My mother lives in chicago but with 11 grandchildren already to her its just another one to her now and she's not in the best of health. But I know I have to do what's good for my family.

mach_u
04-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Show your intelligence.
but it's easier just to blame George Bush for everything. :rolleyes: Didn't mean to hijack Blackpony - very sorry to hear about your job! :( It sucks to have spent so long in one place, only to be let go. All the best in finding a new job!!

IWRBB
04-11-2008, 09:44 AM
If you want to blame someone blame the stock market. How many of you have 401K's or other stock? If your stock share is dropping then you would expect the board of directors of that company to do something about it wouldn't you? Well they are and the easiest and fastest way to cut cost is labor plain and simple.

Our company is private and has terminated nearly 25% of our employees in the last year. No 401K has anything to do with that. More like the new house construction is down to about a tenth of what it was a few years back.

Where stocks/profits do come into play is when we export our manufacturing capabilites in exhange for a quick buck.

The whole Walmart/Rubbermaid/injection molding machine debacle is a perfect example.
Short version - Rubbermaid wouldn't eat the cost of rising material costs like Walmart wanted, so Walmart said "FU, we won't sell your stuff anymore." Rubbermaid's sales went way down, and they couldn't pay off the loans on their big ass injection molding machines they bought to fuill Walmart orders. So, a Chinese company buys up all the machines, takes them back to China and starts cranking out the same thing for Walmart. In the end, Walmart gets hurt since they are now known as China-Mart and their stuff is considered low-rent Chinese made crap. Rubbermaid was hurt since they lost all their sales to Walmart (they came crawling back to Walmart eventually, but sell a fraction of what they used to), they lost their manufacturing machines, and defaulted on loans.

cstreu1026
04-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry to hear you are loosing your job. What kind of work did you do Blackpony? This is a pretty diverse group of people. If you let us know what kind of experience you maybe we can help you find something and keep your wife in school.

Private owned or publicly traded doesn't really make much of a difference. Cutting jobs is for the greater good in most cases. If a company tries to keep all of its employees but end up going out of business then more than just the workers are affected.

02mingryGT
04-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Our company is private and has terminated nearly 25% of our employees in the last year. No 401K has anything to do with that. More like the new house construction is down to about a tenth of what it was a few years back.

Where stocks/profits do come into play is when we export our manufacturing capabilites in exhange for a quick buck.

The whole Walmart/Rubbermaid/injection molding machine debacle is a perfect example.
Short version - Rubbermaid wouldn't eat the cost of rising material costs like Walmart wanted, so Walmart said "FU, we won't sell your stuff anymore." Rubbermaid's sales went way down, and they couldn't pay off the loans on their big ass injection molding machines they bought to fuill Walmart orders. So, a Chinese company buys up all the machines, takes them back to China and starts cranking out the same thing for Walmart. In the end, Walmart gets hurt since they are now known as China-Mart and their stuff is considered low-rent Chinese made crap. Rubbermaid was hurt since they lost all their sales to Walmart (they came crawling back to Walmart eventually, but sell a fraction of what they used to), they lost their manufacturing machines, and defaulted on loans.

Your absolutely right. That would only cover public companies.

02mingryGT
04-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear you are loosing your job. What kind of work did you do Blackpony? This is a pretty diverse group of people. If you let us know what kind of experience you maybe we can help you find something and keep your wife in school.

Private owned or publicly traded doesn't really make much of a difference. Cutting jobs is for the greater good in most cases. If a company tries to keep all of its employees but end up going out of business then more than just the workers are affected.

What he said....:lol:

Blackpony
04-11-2008, 10:41 PM
I was a production manager for a paint company for the last 3 years. Before that I worked in the company R&D labs in chicago. Mostly I did here was technical service rep and project work for new business and exisisting business
as well. The market that I was mostly involved in was wood market also extrusion.

RIXXX93GT
04-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Did you say extrusion? Thats the business Im in. We have been looking to hire a few people maybe you should send us a resume? We do plastic extrusion for the auto industry.

Sharad
04-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Blackpony,

Sorry to hear about your job. Try to get a new one asap so you can invest with the severance package. Then you'll be better off than before!

Why, did George W lay him off?

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-12-2008, 01:10 PM
The way people say companies is the same way they talk about the government. It's laughable. It's called economics people. You should take some classes or check a book out at the library. It is NOT a good thing when a company has to lay-off experienced employees because when things do turn around they have to get by with unexperienced ones when they rehire.

I understand what you're saying, but am i supposed to feel better because i blame the economy and not the company? It doesn't matter either way. The company did what was right for them and in turn they screwed me, whether it was personal or not. It really doesn't matter who i blame, i'm still unemployed.

Kid_Money
04-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Why, did George W lay him off?[/QUOTE]

The best one yet! Ha ha..:bigthumb

Sir Charles
04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Sorry to hear about this. They are doing the same thing in he Armed Forces with their draw downs.

Blacksunshine
04-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Let me guess, Hillary is going to make everything ok right? lol:lol:

Sir Charles
04-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Hillary Clinton will screw everything up even more IMO.

Blackpony
04-13-2008, 07:50 AM
They did give me a severance package that'll help to the end of july. I still have my pt job at auto zone which I decided to take up a couple more hours. but not too many cause it get old quick with all the idiots that come in. Plus I have a good amount of f!?k you money saved up. I'm working on my resume and hoping to get it out there soon.

02mingryGT
04-13-2008, 08:51 AM
I understand what you're saying, but am i supposed to feel better because i blame the economy and not the company? It doesn't matter either way. The company did what was right for them and in turn they screwed me, whether it was personal or not. It really doesn't matter who i blame, i'm still unemployed.

Someone posted a better response than mine a couple of threads above your's. Basically they are going to do what is best for the majority and in the end themselves. It is after all their company. Would you keep extra labor on if it meant you would go under? probably not. People look at work as personal when it's not. It's business and sometimes it's no ones fault(economy). I've been layed off twice since Aug 07. Both times for foolish business decisions that came back to roost. I lost my house over it. But I don't think "they" screwed me. In order for me to be "screwed" I think someone would have had to intentionally made the aforementioned bad decisions knowing I would be laid-off. Just to screw me. That's laughable. People make mistakes. Even the ones that run the "company". I am working now and making more money so maybe 'll be able to repair my damaged credit at some point.

02mingryGT
04-13-2008, 08:55 AM
T I still have my pt job at auto zone which I decided to take up a couple more hours. but not too many cause it get old quick with all the idiots that come in.

Shoot I thought the idiots worked there??:lol::lol::lol:

I love the people that can't figure out what filter or headlight bulb their car takes. I'd have to ask them if they could read. I seen the guys at my local AZ just look it up and go get them for the dummies. I would take them over to the BOOK hanging on the shelf and explain what it was.

BIGRED Z
04-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Doesn't matter who's running this country. Corporations will do what ever is best for the bottom line, period. There is NO loyalty anymore. I believe there is a nice toasty spot in hell for those who choose money over people's livleyhood. But that is how corporations are set up. Their number one priority is to make money for the shareholders.

For privately held companies, it's still all about the money.

It sucks you lost your job man. Best of luck to you.

Sharad
04-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Doesn't matter who's running this country. Corporations will do what ever is best for the bottom line, period. There is NO loyalty anymore. I believe there is a nice toasty spot in hell for those who choose money over people's livleyhood. But that is how corporations are set up. Their number one priority is to make money for the shareholders.

For privately held companies, it's still all about the money.

It sucks you lost your job man. Best of luck to you.

well said.