PDA

View Full Version : More welding questions

Timido
04-12-2008, 07:08 PM
what Auto Darkening hood do you use?

What size cylinder should I get for my Mig? 80cf will last how long?

tcorns
04-12-2008, 07:32 PM
i use one from tsc. not bad for mig but not dark enough for tig. i am coming to the conclusion that my next one will be battery operated and not solar powered. alot of the guys at work use speedglass, and they love them.
as for bottle size... i have no clue my mig is setup gasless because it goes to the farm alot. i would get the biggest bottle that i could afford if i were to get one. but then i really can't afford much.

trev

PonymanfiveO
04-12-2008, 09:31 PM
The more you spend on a hood, the nicer it will be. I use a cheap one all the time at work, but it pulls your hair, and is kinda hard to see out of. When I get the money Im buying a Miller AD hood.

The small bottle will last you longer than you think. If you think about it, your not using a lot of it at a time. But on a big job like the one you are tackling, Im sure you will have to have it refilled a few times. The bigger the better, as long as the valve is closed your not using it so it could last you years. Buy the biggest one you can afford. ;)

PonymanfiveO
04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
These are pimp!

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/weldinghelmets/elite.php

Rob has the camo one.

these are crazy! :eek2:

http://www.accustrike.com/

Timido
04-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I guess the 80cf bottle will last about 4 hours of auctual welding so that should work. I like the miller helmets but that elite is about $280 Yikes.

Maximus
04-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I got the Cheapy Harbor Freight one at work if ya wanna try it.:bigthumb

bobtsgt
04-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I got a speedglass from Weldco. Think mine was about $220 or so.

djom1cincy
04-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I've got a nexgen which is battery powered. Its sweet. I believe its made by jackson. At least it fits jackson hoods. You can change shades from 10 to 14. Use it for cutting and grinding. You can adjust sensitivity and how long it takes to lighten back up after a weld. Cost was about 280$. I would say get a good one. After all, its only your eyes your protecting.

Ric54
04-13-2008, 11:29 AM
I have a Miller. I really like it.

"Be kind to your eyes and your welds!"

glassman
04-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I got a Hobart auto darkening at tractor supply a few years ago when I bought a cart for my lil miller.

Goober
04-13-2008, 01:15 PM
I use a Huntsman Autoview VXL. My only complaint about it is if your running a hot long bead (over 300 amps), the batteries get hot and pump out more power, resulting in the hood getting darker. After 5' or so of a hot weld, your only way to see the bead is out of one of the bottom corners.

Kelly Pelrine
04-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I used a speedglass.. it was really nice & lightweight, plus had the auto dark and you could adjust some settings too!

djom1cincy
04-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I've had the same problem with the nexgen getting darker during a hot weld. Its no good for spray mig. Cant see anything after a minute of spraying.

theyallslow
04-14-2008, 08:39 AM
spend some money on a good hood. and IMA stay away form Harbor Freight hoods, is $39.99 worth it? I run a Jackson with 9-14. Always remember this, Darker is better. It can be a pain in the ass at first but its better on your eyes.
Gas will last longer then you think but get the gas mix that the welder manual asks for.

facemelter71
04-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Ive got the Hobart auto dark,it works great.But ,it one if those situations where you want to spend alot of money on a good helmet.

Kevin Doe
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
I use a regular oldschool standard helmet. It was $40. Suits me just fine.

bestracing
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
We got a Lincoln Auto darkening hood from the Lincoln Trailer at the US Nats. They have racers specials there and got ours for 50% off. A very nice hood, just haven't used it much.

Dirtyd0g
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I have a harbor freight helemt. The window is small but the helmet was cheap and works well. I also have a hobart, with the exception of window size they both work.
80cf will be fien for you I think. That is what I have on my little mig.
anything bigger gets you into a lease usually.
Alan

rogers
04-14-2008, 03:56 PM
i own two different hood's one is the next gen jackson 9 this one is digital and completely adjustable) nice hood but i mainly use it for heavy welding jobs where i am able to sit up straight or i have to do alot of welding and the heat exposure is a issue the other hood is the new miller elite series with the flames and skull its extremely nice and also completely adjustable but it isn't digital but it is sensitive down to 5 amps so if you ever need to do tig wleding it is so worth the money it's also very light which having a hood on your for long periods of time is something to consider it can be a pain in the neck i like the miller too when i have alot of outta possition welding to do. just food for thought buy a good hood that is designed for what you need they are like everything else you get what you pay for if an expensive hood is not in the budget and isn't what you need think of the consumables that you will need in due time and the avalibiltiy to get them, if you get and auto darking hood check out the speed at which the hood will darken you only have one set of eyes and you need them for your entire life jsut food for thought :D

Goober
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I've had the same problem with the nexgen getting darker during a hot weld. Its no good for spray mig. Cant see anything after a minute of spraying.
I've played around with some reflective tape on my Huntsman, it seems to somewhat work. Just leave the holes for the sensors a little larger than the hole it's self

92coupe
04-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I have this one and i love it!

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cyberweld_1996_6644387

Timido
04-15-2008, 04:29 PM
That is one of the ones I am thinking about. The miller Hobby or Performance.

383STROKER
04-15-2008, 11:29 PM
I use a Miller Inferno elite at home and work. Love it bought mine for at home off ebay, Indiana oxygen co for 240.00 shipped . Here is another company selling them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-222669-INFERNO-ELITE-AUTO-DARK-WELDING-HELMET_W0QQitemZ230242946632QQihZ013QQcategoryZ920 90QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You may want to go to a welding supply co. and lease a cylinder. If you buy your own they can be a pain in the ass to get someone to fill. A 80 would probably be OK I use a 140 on my tig welder. When I did my turbo build I rented another one for a short time bucause I really used the gas then.