PDA

View Full Version : E85 Mustangs

Sir Charles
04-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Has anyone or is anyone doing this?

At roughly $2.00-$2.50 per gallon in much of the U.S., E85 Ethanol is quickly catching on as a substitute for gasoline. Rated at 105 octane, and pumped directly from your local gas station pumps, the tremendous advantages are being seen by performance oriented car enthusiasts. Because we typically fill up with higher priced 93 octane gasoline, (or in some cases, 110 octane leaded race fuel at $7/gallon) we can actually see a decrease in fuel costs as opposed to the guy who puts cheap regular gas in his daily commuter Honda.

With Ford Motor Company and other manufacturers now selling new vehicles with E85 capability at no extra charge, its only a matter of time before the nation realizes this American made product can help support our independence from the Middle East. It may not replace gasoline entirely, but from a performance aspect, we car nuts have a lot to gain by using ethanol.

Read more -------> http://www.e85mustangs.com/

hese days, alternative fuels are getting a boost in more places than just the environmental arena. The reason is simple: We're far too dependent on imported oil, and in the minds of many, that's becoming an increasingly urgent energy-security concern. Add in all the obvious reasons why petroleum alternatives just make sense - from emissions reductions and decreased greenhouse gases to a strategic change in buying habits that finds us spending more on fuel at home than abroad - and it's easy to see why there's so much interest out there.

The effort to bring renewable fuels into the mainstream is taking many forms. One of the most high profile is their inclusion in motorsports. Last year, IndyCar racing made its move to ethanol fuel. Now, General Motors has proposed that NASCAR do the same. With the millions of fans watching these high-profile race venues exposed to the obvious and transparent use of renewable fuels, a growing use by auto enthusiasts is a certainty.

Read more ----> http://www.greencar.com/features/mustang-E85/

mustangboy
04-13-2008, 01:00 AM
I thought about it but I don't believe it will be around for the long term. From what I've seen it is highly subsidised by the gov't and figure when it is no longer the latest fad the subsidies will disapear and the price will shoot up. Also I've heard the quality varies from batch to batch so it may be very hard to tune. My other big concern is that I have a big block that I figure I may get 11-12 mpg if I can manage to baby and entire tank of fuel. More than likely it will be in the 8-10 range. Now figure I switch to e85 that figure may drop to 6mpg. I do have a 15 gal cell but I don't have a station around the corner that sells e85 yet so I would either have to buy a 55 gallon drum or make very frequent stops to refuel. I sill truly feel that diesel is a much better long term solution.

Rustanggt98
04-13-2008, 01:24 AM
and its only about $.20 cheaper than 87 around here (pass by a station in Mariemont everyday that sells it). So figure 50cents a gallon cheaper than 93, but you can't get it at every station, you use more than regular gasoline, and it is horrible on the environment to produce.
(for the record I think all this global warming crap is a crock of shit to make money off of all the idiots that jumped onto the "green" bandwagon, i.e.-the prius is more harmful to the environment than a hummer, etc.)

mustang8998
04-13-2008, 08:30 AM
and its only about $.20 cheaper than 87 around here (pass by a station in Mariemont everyday that sells it). So figure 50cents a gallon cheaper than 93, but you can't get it at every station, you use more than regular gasoline, and it is horrible on the environment to produce.
(for the record I think all this global warming crap is a crock of shit to make money off of all the idiots that jumped onto the "green" bandwagon, i.e.-the prius is more harmful to the environment than a hummer, etc.)

Not to mention, what it has done to corn prices (and will continue to rise, with more extensive use). That drives up the cost of ALOT of food items, hence any savings at the pump, are offset there.

Jeff88coupe
04-13-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm going to be running my coupe on E85....it's going to the dyno today for to get tuned to run it. Several Kroger gas stations in the cincy area carry it. I just bought 10 gallons this week for $2.79/gal....87 was $3.29 the same day. I'm running it because of the 105 octane...main and only real reason I'm messing with it. With E85 I don't have to mess with mixing in 110+ race gas when I run nitrous.

cstreu1026
04-13-2008, 08:56 AM
I see E85 as a good alternative to race gas for those that are pushing the boundaries of what street cars are capable of. Its way cheaper than race gas and is more widely available at the pump.

recklessop
04-13-2008, 10:45 AM
My 96 is running on it. Picked up about 20hp doing it too. John (05yellowgt) and myself are both running it. and mikes (rscoupe) convertible is also running on it .

its also nice for my car because of the PI heads... there is absolutely no pinging at high rpms... which i was having issues with on 93 pump gas

IWRBB
04-13-2008, 11:32 AM
E85 does not necessarily equal corn long-term. Ethanol can be made from anything with carbon in it. My relatives produced ethanol back up in the hills for a long time :) GM just dropped huge coin on a joint venture to produce it from any biomass, and it's not the higher dollar cellulosic method. What ever the local biomass happens to be, you can use that. It could be sawdust, manure, switchgrass, corn, straw, anything that is organic.

We are going to convert my friend's truck to run on it. It's an inline 6 80's F150. They are easy to do since you can put in the next size up injectors and get the exact increase in fuel needed.

I've thought about it in the Cobra, but with as few miles as it sees, I'll just run some VP or something.

mustangboy
04-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Yes it is cheaper but for me I know of at least two places I can get race fuel that are closer to me than a place I can get e85.

PaulFiveOh
04-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I have a friend making 400+hp out of a turbocharged honda motor, running E85.

Sir Charles
04-13-2008, 01:20 PM
My 96 is running on it. Picked up about 20hp doing it too. John (05yellowgt) and myself are both running it. and mikes (rscoupe) convertible is also running on it .

its also nice for my car because of the PI heads... there is absolutely no pinging at high rpms... which i was having issues with on 93 pump gas

Did you do anything for the switch, like a tune or conversion? Or are you just running it?

cstreu1026
04-13-2008, 01:24 PM
rscoupe is making well over 500 in his vert and 05yellowgt...well lets just say he has big plans for his.

Something else to consider is that for those in need of race gas for street use. Most race gas I see offered at that pump is of the leaded variety which was banned in regular pump gas for good reason.

Goober
04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Tune and injectors. If I remember, it's somewhere around a 17% rise in your fuel curve to run it. But you can lean hard on the timing since it's 105 octane.

Sir Charles
04-13-2008, 01:32 PM
So it sounds like this good be a smart thing to do then.

PaulFiveOh
04-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I hear that it requires like 50% more volume to achieve the same amount of energy....IE: 60lb injectors and a 255 to make 300hp on it.

Thoughts?

67fastback
04-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I hear that it requires like 50% more volume to achieve the same amount of energy....IE: 60lb injectors and a 255 to make 300hp on it.

Thoughts?

I belive its only 20% and my car is runing on E85 I have a 255 intank and 60lb injectors and made well over 400 hp

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Right you're gonna burn more so are you really getting more for your money?

Also it costs almost as much to produce as they're selling it for so how long do you think the price will stay down?

It takes so much for a farmer to make a profit as it is...if E85 actually catches on, you can absolutely guarantee that the price per gallon is going to equal what gas is now. The only difference is that our Government will have a hand in it...but is that really a good idea either?

PaulFiveOh
04-13-2008, 02:07 PM
The only difference is that our Government will have a hand in it...but is that really a good idea either?

I wish we would re-regulate the energy market. (Keep in mind, my perspective is from some one who was not alive during the Regan administration)

67fastback
04-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Right you're gonna burn more so are you really getting more for your money?

Also it costs almost as much to produce as they're selling it for so how long do you think the price will stay down?

It takes so much for a farmer to make a profit as it is...if E85 actually catches on, you can absolutely guarantee that the price per gallon is going to equal what gas is now. The only difference is that our Government will have a hand in it...but is that really a good idea either?

Well if thats the case and the price does go up Its not hard to tune your car back to 93 pump gas...tuning is not permanent

PaulFiveOh
04-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I didn't know you were running E85. Thats bad ass!

What do you have to keep in mind when selecting plug temps and gaps?

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Well if thats the case and the price does go up Its not hard to tune your car back to 93 pump gas...tuning is not permanent

Yeah that's true...i'd just hate to get spoiled on E85 and then have to go back to pump gas, which could be god knows how much by the time E85 is gone and done.

I think if it were going to stay around the $2.50 a gallon area and it was a sure thing it would be fantastic. I'm just skeptical that it'll last. The sales pitch makes it out like being independent from oil is such a great thing...and it may be, but i don't trust our Gov to not tax the balls off everyone once the nation is fully dependent on E85. It seems like a lesser of 2 evils.

Sir Charles
04-13-2008, 06:01 PM
In Vegas we are already at $3.35 a gallon for the cheap unleaded, $3.55 for Super. That is why I started to look into this.

cstreu1026
04-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Thats about what we are paying for gas around here as well.

Kid_Money
04-13-2008, 08:08 PM
It is good for boosted cars because it burns cooler. My buddy is running it and his car makes well over 500hp in a turbo application. If you have to run good gas anyway, why not get it cheaper?

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-13-2008, 08:43 PM
So the question for all us Cincinnati guys is, where do we get it? If it were readily available i would probably tune my Merkur to run it but i have yet to ever see it at the pump.

Jeff88coupe
04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes it is cheaper but for me I know of at least two places I can get race fuel that are closer to me than a place I can get e85.

I got my E85 from the Latonia Kroger gas station...not that far away.

PaulFiveOh
04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
So the question for all us Cincinnati guys is, where do we get it? If it were readily available i would probably tune my Merkur to run it but i have yet to ever see it at the pump.

Most Krogers have it

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Hmm...doesn't the Kroger in Amelia by the Amelia Walmart have pumps? That's the only one around that i know of that sells gas.

Jeff88coupe
04-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Use this link to find the closest e85 pumps to you

http://www.e85mustangs.com/where.html

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow...that pretty much sucks. I don't think i could manage having to plan my fill ups at remote places.

http://www.e85refueling.com/distance.php?page=1

mustanginky
04-13-2008, 10:45 PM
i would do it to be different if anywhere around la grange, ky sold it. but i'd have to drive at minimum 30 miles to get some.

btw, ethanol is made from corn waste, so it's not hurting the corn market like you'd think. plus, it'd be a nice benefit to farmers. i would love to run it, but it's not available around me really at all.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-13-2008, 10:59 PM
The thing i read said that it takes almost 1 gallon of diesel to produce 1 gallon of E85...they have to do something about that for it to ever be a serious contender as a petrol replacement.

Black92LX
04-14-2008, 02:06 AM
My Explorer is a Flex Fuel. Granted it's a different scenario than a race setup. But I found that E85 has to be .60 cheaper per gallon for me to benefit from it for a daily driver.
Granted a race setup is different because you are gaining a higher octane rating and as mentioned it burns cooler. So your cost benefit ratio is going to differ than just my miles per dollar calculation.

One thing to remember that if you plan to run E85 yes you need larger injectors, a new tune and a more powerful fuel pump to compensate in the energy difference between burning gasoline and ethanol.
But there are some other parts that need to be swapped out as well.
I have been trying to compile a list of what's different on my FFV Explorer and a standard gasoline.
But your fuel filler neck, and fuel rails should be switched to stainless aswell as your gas tank needs to be lined.
Ethenol is far more corrosive than gasoline and some of the fuel system components will not last as long.