PDA

View Full Version : drve shaft bolts

rsmurf04
04-13-2008, 12:59 PM
For some reason I think I remember seeing somewhere that the drive shaft bolts are reverse thread?

rsmurf04
04-13-2008, 01:02 PM
are they reverse thread?

fst 5pto
04-13-2008, 01:04 PM
No they're normal.... assuming were talking about a Mustang...? Make sure you use a box end wrench though.... you can put two wrenches together to get more leverage if you have too....

fst 5pto
04-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I just posted up in your other thread.... why another?

rsmurf04
04-13-2008, 01:16 PM
I know dud I have used my feet on a breaker bar and they are not budging I need to find some one with a blow torch

rsmurf04
04-13-2008, 01:17 PM
just incase someone didn't see the other one plus I didn't see the drivetrain section

fst 5pto
04-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Try PB blaster first.... also if you have a mallet you can hit the wrench to act like an impact....

5.0calypso93lx
04-13-2008, 02:18 PM
:lol:

99Slobra
04-13-2008, 02:26 PM
12 point wrench and a dead blow hammer works perfectly.

rsmurf04
04-13-2008, 05:34 PM
just so everyone knows your arm strength will be stronger than any impact. Thats how people snap off lug nuts

fst 5pto
04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
just so everyone knows your arm strength will be stronger than any impact. Thats how people snap off lug nuts

So you're telling me that arm strenth is stronger than an impact wrench?

08 Vette
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
So you're telling me that arm strenth is stronger than an impact wrench?

Well maybe not your little skinny arms!:tongue2:

Spray them with Kroil, they'll come right off! WD 40 might work, it will help!
They are all right handed threads.

Rick93coupe
04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
I've never had a problem getting them out with a wrench. I've seen guys use a pipe over the wrench for leverage. You can't get an impact in there anyway.

fst 5pto
04-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Well maybe not your little skinny arms!:tongue2:

Spray them with Kroil, they'll come right off! WD 40 might work, it will help!
They are all right handed threads.

Hey come on now? I've been hitting the gym a lot lately.... :flipoff:

99Slobra
04-13-2008, 08:25 PM

I've broken plenty of studs with an impact.....

347sc
04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
You can't get an impact in there anyway.

:confused: Never had a problem using an impact.

Hammer and wrench will shock it enough to break it free, use a good penetrating oil.

fst 5pto
04-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I've never had a problem getting them out with a wrench. I've seen guys use a pipe over the wrench for leverage. You can't get an impact in there anyway.

I wasn't implying you could use an impact on themm just making a general statement that an impact has more power than your arm power....

Black Horse
04-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Lefty loosey! I lot of folks as well as the factory use loc-tite on them to keep from backing out....if giving your 12mm box-end a wrench a smack with the hammer doesn't break them loose...try a little heat from a propane torch....just becareful not to burn yourself to the ground.

PaulFiveOh
04-13-2008, 10:51 PM
just becareful not to burn yourself to the ground.

Always solid advice. :bigthumb

rsmurf04
04-14-2008, 08:33 AM
I wasn't implying you could use an impact on themm just making a general statement that an impact has more power than your arm power....

NO YOUR ARM Has much more strength than an impact!!!!

rsmurf04
04-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Oh by the way a propane torch and some serious elbow grease got and I got this beast running again

fst 5pto
04-14-2008, 10:41 AM

Ok buddy whatever you say.... But anyways the big thing is you got the bolts out. I would recommend buying new ones from Ford, I know I got them pretty cheap....

facemelter71
04-14-2008, 10:43 AM
My arm does not have 800 lb ft of torque.Unless you have a fulcrum big enough,but just arm strength??Your smokin on serious GONJA.

5.0calypso93lx
04-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Maybe a little 3/8" impact, but most nice current 1/2" drive impacts are putting out some serious torque nowadays. Unless you are the hulk or something, I don't see you being stronger than a decent 1/2" impact.

I would definitely use loctite on the bolts though. I had mine cranked down by hand with a wrench, and checked them a few weeks later, and they were hand tight.

Black Horse
04-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I would definitely use loctite on the bolts though. I had mine cranked down by hand with a wrench, and checked them a few weeks later, and they were hand tight.

No doubt about it. I not only use loctite in the race beast but safety wire them all together as well...I used to have to tighten them up between every two races.

On the topic of impact verses your arm.....I would like to see the math on the arm being stronger. Either you have one weak ass Harbor Freight Impact or you have arms bigger than the Hulk.

But I will give you this - your arm CAN provide a steady load/force over a longer time. The impact just provides high peak forces. The reason why you tend to twist bolts in half by hand instead of impact is that you can provide the steady force to surpass the bolt strength. Not to say that the impact doesn't go beyond those points, it just does so for a very short burst. That is why most folks don't reuse critical fasteners since you dont know the stress they have been exposed to.

fst 5pto
04-14-2008, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=Black Horse;367229]No doubt about it. I not only use loctite in the race beast but safety wire them all together as well...I used to have to tighten them up between every two races.QUOTE]

When I got my new bolts from Ford they had loctite on them already....

rsmurf04
04-14-2008, 11:00 PM
dude I just bought a 189$ impact I can't remember how much much torque it has but it wouldn't break loose my lug nut so I put the car on the ground and got out the old spare tire iron and I broke it loose by pulling up with both arms and it came loose we do the same thing at CarX when we can't get our impacts to do the job. Granite the air compresor is junk but still my impact is brand new and very strong but some times you have to break out a breaker bar and some good old elbow grease. Just personal experience! I didn't know this was going to cause such a stir but I always seemed to get ganged up on whats up with that? I must be some jewish poser that really drives a honda!!! Oh ya and now I have it running! It ran like super shit then I remembered to plug in the vac line on the map sensor since my hoopty is still speed density!#@ Now it just runs shity! Oh and my clutch is stuck engaged I don't know what I did there so now I have to pull the tranns back out to check the clutch I probably put it in backwards or something stupid! I've been working on this late at night like up till 7am and shit! I am starting to get a little agrivated at the hole thing and I dumped a 2gallon bucket of oil under the car so now I have to get my dad to bring down this big ass chain so I can hook it up and pull this hoopty out of the garage so I can do the trans or clutch in the drive way and then pressure wash the garage.. I'm so pissed at this point I'm almost ready to sell the thing seriously

99Slobra
04-15-2008, 08:35 AM
1. sounds like you need to return your POS impact
2. Were you using enough PSI?

facemelter71
04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Im pretty sure if my Snap-on half inch cant get it loose,it will break it off.I paid close to 300 some thing for that bad boy.Ive broken alot of lug nuts when i worked as a tire tech.

may93
04-15-2008, 10:39 AM
The trick to the drive shaft bolts is to place a bolt thru one of the other holes where the drive shaft mounts and lodge it against the carrier. Then with a 12mm wrench and a dead blow hammer knock the bolt loose. Rotate around until you get all four bolts loosened. Their a right handed thread! Becareful heating them as their hardened and you'll compromise the hardness of the bolts. If they even got close to turning red replace them and use some blue loctite on your new ones as they have a habit of working loose.

ADaughen
04-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Just an FYI, Old Willy's Jeep drive shaft bolts were counter threaded. The ones I worked with had a little arrow on them, if you could get the gunk off the heads.

Timido
04-20-2008, 10:50 PM
I have a 12mm swivel 3/8 socket that works wonders on those driveshaft bolts with my 3/8 IR impact. If that doesnt do it I have a 1/2 Ir impact.

As far as arm strength I have a 1" Impact at work that has more power than my arms

347sc
04-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Mac tools has a special socket.Works wonders

rsmurf04
04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
If it matters anymore? I got the thing running I just needed to reset the quadrant to relieve the clutch cable so now everything is good just need a new exhaust