PDA

View Full Version : sanding a prep questions

Gearhead559
04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
first off im repainting the car. ditching the gas door and the wiper hole. now should i sand thru the clear coat down to the base? or jsut rough up the clear?

does the trim around the bumpers come off? or shoul i just mash it off a paint it after the car is painted?

motox159
04-14-2008, 04:21 AM
i'm no expert by any means but i would think you would want to sand thru the clear down to the base. and if your trim is going to be a diff color than your body color i would think you would mask that off and hit it after the car is painted. i'm in the process of prepping mine for paint also. i have a 90' GT that's going to be some sort of blue, just not sure which one yet! mine will be a solid color. hope that helps and if anyone knows what should be done please post!!!!

king286gts
04-14-2008, 10:51 PM
As long as you don't have multiple coats of paint on the car and body work to do, you should only have to scuff sand the surface and I would epoxy prime the car with a ppg dp epoxy primer to seal the old surface. This is a non sanding primer that does not need to be sanded before top coating up to 5 days. after that , you have to wet sand and apply another coat. dp40 is light green, dp50 is grey dp90 is black. you can grind a damaged area, apply the primer and do filler work over the primer to make sure you don't have bare metal under the plastic filler which is porous and will let moisture to the metal, the epoxy will seal the metal.