PDA

View Full Version : anyone else here have an explorer or know somone that dose?

Ryan218
04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
when my mustang got totaled i decided to buy a suv till summer and then buy another stang then. so here is the story

i bought it from small dealership for a cheap price $2,900. it was around 3,1xx out the door after tax title ect. i think i know why i got it for that cheap now too. then trans is slipping and i know its a really common problem with explorers. when i went and test drove the truck i drove it around for close to 60 miles and nonthing everything working great. now when im driving it the OD light blink on and off and. when i come to a stop if i leave in i Drive and then go to start moving aging it will rev to 2,500 then start to move. after it ets moving there is no problems at all..drivers perfect after this point. if i pull it down to 1 and start out it grabs perfect. if i pull it to 2 it slips a little but not as bad.

i knew when i started looking for an explorer that i needed to keep an eye out on the trans. i thought i did but i guess not good enough. i really like this truck and it loks like a rebuild or swaping the trans is in my near future. its the 2wd drive sport. anyone ever had to replaced the trans in an explorer?

Black Horse
04-14-2008, 11:48 AM
PM Transman...he'll get you taken care of.

KobraII
04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
It's not that hard to. My father and I have put a total of 3 in my Explorer (most of them were faulty when we got them. That's for the big number). The only thing I can't help you with is the fact that you have a 2wd Sport, I have a 4wd XLT

DeckerEnt
04-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Being 2 wheel drive should make it an easier swap. No 2nd driveshaft or all that 4x4 stuff to worry about. I had a 92 explorer and had the trans rebuilt once. Got an estimate done and the guy quoted me 1400-1700. Well it was 1700. He said it would have been more but he stood by his price. I sold it soon after.
Keith

Black92LX
04-14-2008, 02:58 PM
I have an explorer but just picked mine up a couple weeks ago so I can't really help you out with your question other than pointing you here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=29

rogers
04-14-2008, 03:33 PM
well not stating the milage... here's a possible for you i had a 96 xlt 4wd 4.0 and it never had the trans fluid changed until it had 110,000 on it and the pan was covered with crap i changed the fluid and the filter and the small slippage i had went away i traded it in with 132 k on it and never had another problem. so a quick filter and fluid may help although that fix maybe short lived. most people with automatics never think to service it. and just trade them off. when i changed the plugs for the first time they had 110 k on them too, and the platinum was all most about gone :lol: but i bought it used so there's more to buying a used car then just a quick drive and tire kick... hope you get taken care of :bigthumb

Katmandu
04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I have an explorer but just picked mine up a couple weeks ago so I can't really help you out with your question other than pointing you here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//forumdisplay.php?f=29X2 on the Explorerforum.com Very busy messageboard over there.

I used to own a 98 Eddie Baurer. Never really had any problems out of it until around 70k. Those damn little chain tensioners on the 4.0 started wigging out. The rear one is a MAJOR PITA to swap out.

It was a very good vehicle overall but the ride SUCKED.

Ryan218
04-14-2008, 05:11 PM
well not stating the milage... here's a possible for you i had a 96 xlt 4wd 4.0 and it never had the trans fluid changed until it had 110,000 on it and the pan was covered with crap i changed the fluid and the filter and the small slippage i had went away i traded it in with 132 k on it and never had another problem. so a quick filter and fluid may help although that fix maybe short lived. most people with automatics never think to service it. and just trade them off. when i changed the plugs for the first time they had 110 k on them too, and the platinum was all most about gone :lol: but i bought it used so there's more to buying a used car then just a quick drive and tire kick... hope you get taken care of :bigthumb

oh sorry ots at 113k and the fulid is darker then it should be...also today leaving school when it gear it would pop out and be in N even though is still says its in D, 2 or 1...this sucks.

Ryan218
04-14-2008, 05:13 PM
do you think it would be worth the risk to just buy a used transmission? or should i look for one thats rebuilt? like one from jasper? i put a jasper trans in my stang and it hasent given me on problem. i really do not want to spend 1,500 plus on a rebuild and not have my truck for a week.

Buckeye
04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Ryan take ti to A trans here on my side of town they are good people. OR buy a used trans and I will swap it cheap for you you pic

bangingears
04-14-2008, 08:27 PM
what year trans? many different trannys in these. Some better then others

Ryan218
04-14-2008, 09:55 PM
its 2000 explorer sport 2wd...the trans fulid is black. im gonna flush it and add an additive and see what happens.

Buckeye
04-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Ryan don't flush it have a trans guy look at it alot of the time when one acks up a flush finishes it off

Ps A trans does a FREE check

bangingears
04-14-2008, 10:22 PM
if its a 4.0l then it has a 5r55e. known for valvebody issues, VB gaskets blowing, crossleaks, EPC solenoid holder breaking and lossing pressure. If the O/D light is flashing it will have a code which is a good thing, bad news if its a pressure problems its probably to late and something is smoked or got hot. PM transman, he is familar with the 5r's.

Ryan218
04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Ryan don't flush it have a trans guy look at it alot of the time when one acks up a flush finishes it off

hmmm where is it located at?

if its a 4.0l then it has a 5r55e. known for valvebody issues, VB gaskets blowing, crossleaks, EPC solenoid holder breaking and lossing pressure. If the O/D light is flashing it will have a code which is a good thing, bad news if its a pressure problems its probably to late and something is smoked or got hot. PM transman, he is familar with the 5r's.

its a 4.0l and yed O/D light is flashing :( and no code. i plugged a scanner in and i threw nonthing at me.

Ryan218
04-14-2008, 10:37 PM

hmm well when you come to pick the stang up you can look at it if you like.

Buckeye
04-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Ok no prob
They are on East main down the street from Hooters. They also have one up north but I forget where.
And most scanners (Cheaper ones at least) with not read Trans or Abs or Air bag codes just FYI

KobraII
04-14-2008, 11:22 PM
do you think it would be worth the risk to just buy a used transmission? or should i look for one thats rebuilt? like one from jasper? i put a jasper trans in my stang and it hasent given me on problem. i really do not want to spend 1,500 plus on a rebuild and not have my truck for a week.

Be VERY careful when buying a rebuilt from Jasper. That's what we put into my Explorer. Three transmissions later we had a good one

Ryan218
04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Ok no prob
They are on East main down the street from Hooters. They also have one up north but I forget where.
And most scanners (Cheaper ones at least) with not read Trans or Abs or Air bag codes just FYI

hmm are they open on saturdays? on my way to school today when it went to shift from 1st to 2nd it revved up then barked the tires lol. i could just say its got a shift kit i guess lol.

eh worst case the trans will have to be replaced.