PDA

View Full Version : whats the difference between CAI and Ram Air Kits

07thorobrd
04-14-2008, 07:23 PM
i was thinking bout putting a CAI on my car whenever i get the money but then i started seeing hoods that come with ram air kits...i was just wondering what the difference was or if there was a diff at all.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Well technically both are a "CAI" or Cold Air Intake, they just take in the cold air differently. A typical "CAI" is just a filter mounted in the fender where it can draw cold air from the outside of the engine bay instead of taking it from under the hood where the air is hot. A ram air setup supposedly benefits from high speed air that literally pushes air into the intake at higher speeds which is supposed to be worth a few HP, but it's only going to be more beneficial than a typical CAI at high speeds where that forcing of air occurs.

Mista Bone
04-15-2008, 01:40 AM
This is an import question, no business being here on SBZ.

FireStang02
04-16-2008, 10:15 AM

:dunno:

I have actually seen these for stangs. I actually looked at an 06 with a functional hood that directs the air directly into the filter.

08 Vette
04-16-2008, 10:33 AM

They make kits for most cars. I have a ram air CAI kit on my car.

Don't be a internet bully!

facemelter71
04-16-2008, 10:48 AM

What does a Mach1 have??????? A shaker hood with the scoop for ram air.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-16-2008, 12:42 PM
March has made ram air setups for 5.0s forever, and don't forget the Cervinis ram air hood setups. The scoop on my hood can also be made functional and the hood has a hole stamped in it to make it a functional ram air hood.