PDA

View Full Version : Tech tip for nuts and bolts

Rick93coupe
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't know if any of you guys have ever tried this or not, but last yr I found a kickass way to freshen up all the factory bolts on your car. It started because I had a huge box of grade 8 bolts that I had stored in my grand dads shed. Well, the creek next to his house flooded and everything in the shed was completely ruined. All except for my brand new "rusty" bolts, I wasn't about to pitch them. :mad:
Long story short, I filled a container with LimeAway kitchen and bathroom cleaner. Literally within 20/30 min the bolts were like new again. I left them in overnight without any problems. Out in the garage this evening I did the same for my control arm bolts and they're shiny again! Anyway, something to keep in mind the next time your putting something back together, I know it will come in handy! :bigthumb

cstreu1026
04-16-2008, 09:02 PM
CLR would work too. Chemically they are very similar...both are organic acid solutions. Just be careful with both because you can get some burns from them.

ibstrokin
04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Fyi, A wire brush on a bench grinder does a great job of cleaning shit out of the threads.

DeckerEnt
04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Great tip Rick. Ever do the hot sause from shyline on a penny> It is scary. Try it sometime.
Keith