PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut sheet metal?

DeckerEnt
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
I put in the new 2x3 frame rails and now I have to put back everything I cut out of the strut towers and such. I have made cardboard templates for what I need and have a sheet of I think is 16 guage. How do I cut the pieces out? I have a whiz wheel, clippers( the 3 set) an angle grinder. What works the best?
Keith

Sparky
04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
My personal fav is the air powered mini reciprocating saw. You can make nice clean cuts and it doesn't throw sparks. It makes nice cuts for sectioning in patches, eliminating the need for flanging or backing plates on cosmetic panels.

Kevin Doe
04-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Good options if you have endless resources available. Shear it out depending on shape. Laser/high definition plasma burner CNC machine.

Options for normal people: Recripicating saw, band saw, and my personal favorite, using a 5" metal cutoff wheel on a 4.5" angle grinder. Thats how I cut 95% of the stuff for my car. It makes a dusty mess, but gets the job done well, and you can cut very straight if you have a steady hand.

Paul408Notch
04-17-2008, 05:04 PM
If they're all straight cuts I can do it on the old shear at work.

DeckerEnt
04-17-2008, 09:45 PM
I got them all cut today. I used my whiz wheel. It was easy. Laid all the templates out, used common lines for cuts, went through 3 wheels, No problems.
Keith

Kevin Doe
04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
I got them all cut today. I used my whiz wheel. It was easy. Laid all the templates out, used common lines for cuts, went through 3 wheels, No problems.
Keith

When dimensions are critical, using a common line for several pieces can get tricky. YOu have to take in the account for the width of the material removed by the wheel. Just a heads up.

DeckerEnt
04-17-2008, 10:21 PM
I figured that. I used a felt tip marker, turned it wide and made my marks. Then I just stayed in the black with my cuts. I will let you all know when I get them all tacked in.
Keith

Paul408Notch
04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
I probably could have cut them on one of the lasers, but I have no idea how to use them. They're really entertaining to watch run though.

http://www.e-ci.com/detail_cl850.php

Click play on the video halfway down the page.

bobtsgt
04-22-2008, 08:44 AM
I probably could have cut them on one of the lasers, but I have no idea how to use them. They're really entertaining to watch run though.

http://www.e-ci.com/detail_cl850.php

Click play on the video halfway down the page.
I think we may have found Craig's next purchase :D That thing is bad ass :eek:

91boost
04-23-2008, 01:25 AM
That thing is sweet.

recklessop
04-23-2008, 07:18 AM
When i was doing my 65 mustang i used a plasma cutter. That thing works damn nice