PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand something - Brake Question

PaulFiveOh
04-17-2008, 08:49 PM
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2850A0A0.aspx

http://images.autoanything.com/images//products/med/brakes/powerstop_slotted.jpg

Take a look at that link.

The rotor looks like it just slips on to the hub and does not go through the wheel studs. It appears to me that it uses the force of the lug nuts to hold the rotor on to the hub. Is this correct?

Has any one ever used this style of rotor, or can any one provide any insight on how this mounting style works and if it has any negative or pluses?

Thanks guys! :)

Goober
04-17-2008, 08:57 PM
It wouldn't work on the front of a fox. The rotor houses the race for the bearings.

PaulFiveOh
04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
It's for my grand prix.

What do you mean it "races for the bearings"? I don't understand.

8banger
04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
I believe looking at the picture,that rotor is for another make and model(reminds me of a bolt on toyo rotor,hub drives off the rotor and those 4 holes is possibly where that style rotor bolts to the hub unit.(fro the back side)) ..and a BASIC photo as to how the rotors look slotted. FWD Grand Prix should slide over the studs...slotted or not...IMO..I'd see if You can call and ASK them first before ordering.... :bigthumb

PaulFiveOh
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Cool, thanks.

Goober
04-17-2008, 09:45 PM
What do you mean it "races for the bearings"? I don't understand.

Ok, bearings like to ride on a nice machiened pieces called a "race" (especially when they are tapered bearings, like for a wheel). Smooth, low rolling resistance and close tolorences are what make these races special. Sometimes you have to install a race with a new bearing, but on Mustang front rotors, they are machiened into the center of the rotor, therefor you don't have to tear up a rotor and/or your hands to get the old race out. It's built right in!

PaulFiveOh
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Oh ok! Thanks for the expert description! Hopefully, I will never have to mess with them, but now at least I know what a "race" is.

:)