PDA

View Full Version : Slicks?

Blowpastyou
04-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Im not sure I want to put the effort into making 275/60 Mickey Thompsons hook on my car. So im going to get some slicks or et streets. I may try my tires out 1 more week. I was running 12.5psi in the tires. My first pass hooked good footbraking it. But when I let off the transbrake it spun all the way to the 330 mark. Should I try some other stuff first?

12seclx
04-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Im not sure I want to put the effort into making 275/60 Mickey Thompsons hook on my car. So im going to get some slicks or et streets. I may try my tires out 1 more week. I was running 12.5psi in the tires. My first pass hooked good footbraking it. But when I let off the transbrake it spun all the way to the 330 mark. Should I try some other stuff first?

I would get the slicks... I tried those drag radials w/ a 5 speed and never had much luck.... I would try a little more air in them... 13.5-14.5....

ibstrokin
04-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Does your car have a rear sway bar, what rear springs are on it, what front spring, what shocks and struts?

Timido
04-19-2008, 07:06 PM
The radials dont take the inital hit that a slick can. They do work you just have to do what they like. Do you have anyway to ramp in boost or timing? Mabye try lowering your launch rpm on a 2 step.

Blowpastyou
04-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Does your car have a rear sway bar, what rear springs are on it, what front spring, what shocks and struts?

I have the full UPR rear end kit.

The rear springs are eibach lowering springs right now. I hear that the good things to use in the rear are stock GT springs.

front springs are 14" 150's

Strange adjustable shocks and struts.

Blowpastyou
04-19-2008, 08:20 PM
You think that the lowering springs are too stiff? Causing the tires to unload after the initial hit?

black90lx
04-19-2008, 09:57 PM
You think that the lowering springs are too stiff? Causing the tires to unload after the initial hit?

That's what it is. The only lowered cars that I have seen hook are the ones that have coil overs in the rear. When you launch a lowered car the ass end raises instead of squating.

ibstrokin
04-20-2008, 01:42 AM
I think a buddy of mine may have a set of moroso trick rear springs, I'll check tomorrow.

Kwik92GT
04-20-2008, 03:58 AM
Changing rear springs might help some but making a radial work usually takes a lot of tuning/testing to find out what it wants on each particular car. When you start factoring in track conditions at test and tunes in this area and all the other variables that go along with it, you may decide it's just not worth the effort and just go ahead and buy the slicks. Slicks can be a great band aid fix for a lot of bad suspension/tuning setups and half assed track conditions.

If you want to try and make the radials work or even make the slicks better, I'd start with getting a baseline setup for your suspension. Here's a link to Kevin Slaby's site. http://www.baselinesuspensions.com Lots of great info there to get you going in the right direction. Don't think you need his uppers and all to make your suspension work. The parts you have are fine. You just need to get them working together. BTW .... In my experience Mickey radials typically like 13-15psi. If you can, try and get video of the car whenever possible from the driver side so you can actually see in slow-mo what the car is doing vs. what your buddies think they saw or what you think you felt. Hope some of this helps. Happy hunting.

Timido
04-20-2008, 06:56 AM
My car really never went alot faster on slicks but it is more consistant and I can throw a ton more at them and they will take it. With slicks if I am off it is a couple hundreds in the 60ft with radials it is a smoke show.