PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a gun safe

Sparky
04-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Like the title says, I'm shopping for a gun safe. Since there are some gun people on here ,maybe I can get some input. My problem is, I live in an apartment complex now. What scares me the most is the amount of ammunition I have. If I had to guess, I'd say close to 2000 rounds of 8mm mauser and 7.62 nagant ammo :eek:. In the event of a fire, I'd like to keep the stuff in some sort of fire resistant container. I know they say it won't exactly explode, but there would be enough powder in those shells to rapidly accelerate a fire. This has been keeping me up at night, honestly. I would probably kill myself if the place caught fire, and hurt my neighbors children or an unsuspecting firefighter because this stuff blew up. I don't have anywhere else to store the stuff, I don't know what to do. I have every intention of using it up in the years to come, but I want to be responsible with it. I went to Gander Mountain in Dayton today and found some real nice liberty safes for a lot cheaper than what they sell on the internet. One in particular was their Centurion model for 650 bucks , that holds like 18 guns and has a fire rating of 1200 degrees for 30 minutes. I have maybe ten guns so thats more than enough storage and right at what I can afford to spend.
Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DeckerEnt
04-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Liberty makes a good safe. 650 is a great price too. For the ammo, if it burned in a fire, It is the primer that really does the damage. Inside a safe like that every thing would be contained.
Keith

MFIELD
04-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey what the hell, you came to Dayton and didnt stop by. LOL See you this weekend. Whats up Thursday night? Wanna hit KK.

ADaughen
04-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Only 2k rounds? Poor guy. You need to stop by AIM Surplus and pick up some more. ;) Use that 8mm sparingly, I don't see too much of it available any more. :(

You might check out Sams Club, they usually have decent deals on safes. Or, get one of those document safes and store the ammo in there.

Olde English in Tipp is pretty good. They had a big sale on safes about two months back. I'm still trying to find room to fit one in my house. 2100sq ft and no place for a safe. :rolleyes:

ETA:

Where do you go to shoot your long guns? My range closed down due to a dumb ass with a .50BMG missing the berm.

ETA2:

7.62 Nagant for a Nagant revolver or 7.62x54r for a Mosin Nagant?

tcorns
04-20-2008, 10:08 PM
i have a sentry safe that is fire rated. 1200 for 30 minutes and it also is an 18 gun model. i bought mine from walmart on clearance for 500, so i don't think that 650 is bad for one. check target world during thier gun safe sale, they have some good deals. also ask about warranty, i worked a fire a few years back and the owners had a fire rated safe that held it's own. they called the manufacturer and had it replaced for free. i also reccomend anchoring it to something as soon as you can (floor and wall of your own house.) my buddy got broke into a few months ago and they ended up taking his entire safe.

trev

ADaughen
04-20-2008, 10:13 PM
If he had $$$ I'd suggest Smith Security Safes out of Bowling Green, Ohio. Kick ass guys, with an awesome product. They have a good warranty, too.

ETA:
Link

http://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/

Sparky
04-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Only 2k rounds? Poor guy. You need to stop by AIM Surplus and pick up some more. ;) Use that 8mm sparingly, I don't see too much of it available any more. :(

You might check out Sams Club, they usually have decent deals on safes. Or, get one of those document safes and store the ammo in there.

Olde English in Tipp is pretty good. They had a big sale on safes about two months back. I'm still trying to find room to fit one in my house. 2100sq ft and no place for a safe. :rolleyes:

ETA:

Where do you go to shoot your long guns? My range closed down due to a dumb ass with a .50BMG missing the berm.

ETA2:

7.62 Nagant for a Nagant revolver or 7.62x54r for a Mosin Nagant?

7.62 x54 For my M44. I think I have one of those little 440 round sardine cans of that stuff. I scored a 1400 round crate of turkish 8mm at Hara a few years ago for 80 bucks. A couple buddies of mine go down to a private lot down by Cave Lake Park in Hillsboro. Nobody bothers us and you can make all the noise you want. I've always been scared to take the high powered stuff to a regular shooting range around here. Plus, you can't bring your own cool stuff to destroy for targets:cool1:

Sparky
04-20-2008, 10:38 PM
BTW, when I was at Gander Mountain today, I saw one of those Taurus revolvers that shoots 45 colt and 410 shells. It was all black and they call it the "Night court Judge". $499.00 all day long. I think I'm gonna have to score one. They also have a Brand new FN five seven for damn near 1200! OUCH! 950 at the gun show looks like a steal now.

ADaughen
04-20-2008, 11:11 PM
The Judge is supposed to be pretty cool. I want to shoot one. :)

The FN FiveseveN looked pretty cool, until you look at the cost of ammo. Might as well get something that will stop what you are shooting. ;)

BTW, I have a 91/30 and M44. You should find some heavy ball to shoot around dusk, if you haven't already. :D

ibstrokin
04-20-2008, 11:39 PM
We bought my dad a Bart Arms 45/410 daringer a few years back, he loves it. We got it from Olde English gun shop, I think it was $350

Mista Bone
04-21-2008, 12:02 AM
being in an apartment complex, you don't want anything huge, esp. if you have steps!

Moving a gun safe is not fun, Mines been in three different houses. ReLo had the best prices, but they went out of business YEARS ago.

Sparky
04-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah, this one I'm looking at for 650 weighs in at 420 pounds. But, the apartment has a basement, so I will probably put it down there. Then, all I will have to worry about is moisture. I'm hoping silica packets will counter that.I know I can get it down there, though.

NXcoupe
04-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Most have a dehumidifier that you can either buy extra or it comes with it. For that price I am assuming it is something you can get extra. I need one of these as well. We get together and go shooting up here in Dayton every once in a whle, you should come with us. They are putting in an indoor rifle range at the same place we shoot pistols at.

Black92LX
04-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Yeah 2,000 rounds isn't much.

As for the safe I have a Sentry. It's great I got it from a place in dayton.
http://www.mcintoshsafe.com/index.htm

They are great and they only charged $50 for delivery and that is placing where I wanted it in the basement.

DeckerEnt
04-21-2008, 07:37 AM
ReLo had the best prices, but they went out of business YEARS ago.

If you are talking about ReLo in florence, they are now RLC Sporting goods on Turfway. Across the street from the back porch. They have safes still.
Keith

cstreu1026
04-21-2008, 08:53 AM
I'll second the notion to stop by Olde English. I have bought several guns from them and they are gret to deal with.

jk5.0
04-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Target World in Sharonville has a huge selection of gun safes they say it is the biggest in the Tristate.

http://www.targetworld.net/safes.htm

Black92LX
04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
If you are talking about ReLo in florence, they are now RLC Sporting goods on Turfway. Across the street from the back porch. They have safes still.
Keith

I believe he is talking about Relo that was in Fairfield.

Target World in Sharonville has a huge selection of gun safes they say it is the biggest in the Tristate.
Those shitheads will have the biggest price tag too.

That is one place I tell people to stay far away from. It's a shame they are the only indoor range around.
Worst firearm buying experience ever.

ADaughen
04-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah, this one I'm looking at for 650 weighs in at 420 pounds. But, the apartment has a basement, so I will probably put it down there. Then, all I will have to worry about is moisture. I'm hoping silica packets will counter that.I know I can get it down there, though.

Get a "golden rod" for the safe. Silica packets are ok, but the golden rod is supposed to work better. It plugs into the wall and takes up less space.

If you plan on moving it yourself. Make sure you get a couple friends. Strap it to the dolly and make sure the dolly has solid rubber wheels. Usually for the really heavy ones you just call up a safe mover. I think I was quoted $150 for a 800lb safe.

fastone
04-21-2008, 05:18 PM
The Judge is supposed to be pretty cool. I want to shoot one. :)

The FN FiveseveN looked pretty cool, until you look at the cost of ammo. Might as well get something that will stop what you are shooting. ;)

BTW, I have a 91/30 and M44. You should find some heavy ball to shoot around dusk, if you haven't already. :D

I have a FN 5.7 and love it. If you have never shot one, you need to!!! they kick like a 22 and have the power of something much larger. I know there was a test done locally, and this pistol will put holes through police vest!! Lucky for the cops, this is not a cheap gun!!! I bought mine for the big reason of a 20 shot clip. This gun will soon be on a gun band list somewhere!!! And as for ammo, you can get it online for $18 for 50 rounds! That is still super cheap for that gun!!!

RACEME
04-22-2008, 05:30 AM
You might check out Dick's sporting goods. The had the best prices last year when I helped my buddy get a big one.