PDA

View Full Version : Lifelock and ID theft protection services

Wrenchin
04-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Wondering if anyone here has used Lifelock or any other identity theft protection services?

PaulFiveOh
04-24-2008, 07:19 AM
I do.

It's.....effective to say the least. But very expensive. My bank pays for mine after a rouge 5/3 employee tried to steal my money.

When you try to get a line of credit any where, your cell phone will ring and someone on the other line will verify that you are in fact inside "Sprint" trying to get a new line of service or what ever the case may be.

Wrenchin
04-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Sweet, what company did you use? I lost my drivers license with my SS number on it. I got it back but its hard telling if someone didn't write my info down. I want to be on the safe side if anything like this pops up.

PaulFiveOh
04-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Lifelock is what Fifth Third set me up with.

nskaats
04-24-2008, 11:16 AM
My bank pays for mine after a rouge 5/3 employee tried to steal my money.

How did you manage that? My parents and I have both been victimized by Fifth Third on several occasions. My parents were direct victims of an employee that tried to steal $44,000 from them. Fifth Third did nothing but play games; they blamed my parents and everyone else they could for the money disappearing for weeks. My favorite was "it must have been someone on an offshore computer that hacked our system." They tried to protect their employee until my dad got the FBI involved....suddenly there were answers and the money reappeared.

All I can say is someone at Fifth Turd must like you.

PaulFiveOh
04-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Put it this way, I don't have have any debt and a nice pile of play money. All courtesty of Fifth Third.

I hired a lawyer and sued them for all of my availble balance that could have been used than some more for "emotional damages and time lost". I started talking to Howard Aims from the news so he could make the story public and soon after, they setteled out of court.

I knew that if I called the police, they would not be able to do any thing. Not because a law was NOT broken, but because they don't have the training or resources to deal with something like that. Getting the FBI involved was the right thing to do though.

Let me know if you want my Lawyers name/number.

Jaylynn
04-24-2008, 12:00 PM
You can lock down your credit at each of the 3 credit bureaus for $10 each* - only $30 and from what i understand that's pretty much all you need. It costs $10 more anytime you want to unlock it to buy a car\house\credit card etc & is a bit of an inconvenience but it pretty much stops anyone else from accessing your credit for evil-doing also. The paperwork was kind of a pain & they each had a different form, id required etc. But i feel better having it done.

According to Money\Kiplinger's etc articles - it's not really worth the $$ for those services which cost $$ every month. But i'm sure there are other opinions out there.

Look up Security Freeze at
Experion.com, Transunion.com and Equifax.com

* if you really want to save money, i think you can do pretty much the same thing for free if you call them every 90 days and ask for a fraud alert or something like that. I'm not that organized, so i just paid the $10.

BIGRED Z
04-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I do lifelock. Costs $20 per person per month. They even reduced the junk mail I recieve.