PDA

View Full Version : Improved gas mileage....

Silver Bullet
04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Well the other day I took my truck to Valvoline for a oil change. They asked if i wanted my tire pressure check, I said sure, since I had never done this... I always assumed it was on. I noticed they put the one tire at 60 and didn't pay attention to wether or not they added much air, but I think they did because of the following: The next time I drove the truck, I filled it up with gas and reset the info section that tells you MPG. I get about 14 or so on the highway and 13 putting around in the city. That night on the way to work I was getting 17MPG! I thought that was a HUGE increase. It is a big lifted truck with some nice size tires, so that had to be a big drag on the vehicle, as I can't see a vehicle getting much better MPG from just an oil change. It is a Ford F250 Turbo Diesel.

So let this be a helpful lesson..... save some $$$ and check those tires!

89notch
04-24-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm running 80psi in the tires on the F250 right now and it has helped my mileage some also. I'm getting about 14-15 with mixed highway/city driving. I'm glad I didnt sell my bike now that diesel is so high I average 35-50mpg on the bike depending on how I feel like riding.

89notch
04-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Also check this out for tips on better mileage diesels

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Silver Bullet
04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Also check this out for tips on better mileage diesels

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Thank you. I have been driving from the Eastside to the Westside for work, and it was costing about $100 or so a week in gas. Every little bit helps!:bigthumb

Holly
04-24-2008, 04:20 PM
My Charger decides how much air goes in the tires. If it's off at all, it starts dinging at me telling me to get it checked. I had this happen at 5:30 AM in Columbus last September on my way to the car show, about 2 weeks after I bought it. I was like WTF is that? I had to pull over on Interstate 70 and get out the manual, and the light that was on and the dinging sound indicated one of my tires was "off balance". Raceme Tim took it over to Shawn Johnson's pit and aired it up for me, it has not happened since. I don't think I have a choice as to how much air to put in the tires.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Harder tires equals less rolling resistance which equals better MPG, but at the sacrifice of even wear on your tires.

Silver Bullet
04-24-2008, 04:45 PM
My Charger decides how much air goes in the tires. If it's off at all, it starts dinging at me telling me to get it checked. I had this happen at 5:30 AM in Columbus last September on my way to the car show, about 2 weeks after I bought it. I was like WTF is that? I had to pull over on Interstate 70 and get out the manual, and the light that was on and the dinging sound indicated one of my tires was "off balance". Raceme Tim took it over to Shawn Johnson's pit and aired it up for me, it has not happened since. I don't think I have a choice as to how much air to put in the tires.

Thats what you get for having one of those High Rent cars! lol:lol:

ibstrokin
04-24-2008, 05:35 PM

Coming from a guy with a f250 turbo diesel :bigthumb

Silver Bullet
04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Kelly, I checked out that board, one other thing, I wonder if they switched to the summer diesel formula... I guess there is one for winter and one for summer, maybe this is what helped out too???:confused:

Silver Bullet
04-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Coming from a guy with a f250 turbo diesel :bigthumb

Ahhhh... shoot, its just my work vehicle:wave:

89notch
04-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Kelly, I checked out that board, one other thing, I wonder if they switched to the summer diesel formula... I guess there is one for winter and one for summer, maybe this is what helped out too???:confused:

I dont know it could be I havent bought fuel for the truck in a few weeks so i will check my mileage next time. Also are you using the overhead to calculate mileage? if so mine is off by about 1mpg it says 13.6 but my last tank I got 14.6

Silver Bullet
04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
The computer calculates it as you drive... seems pretty accurate so far.... at least it is a constant.

Stangman
04-24-2008, 11:07 PM
I put $35 bucks in my '94 the other day and drove until it was dead empty, I started with 3/4 of a tank... and If I did my math correctly I got almost 24.5 mpg's!!! I'm finding it hard to beleive since this car only seems to get 19-21 Mpg's. which is suprising since it has 204,000 miles

Xuzhu
04-24-2008, 11:19 PM
I only use about 3/4 of a tank a month, heh. Tips on better gas mileage: move close to work and don't drive around to unneccessary places!

Holly
04-25-2008, 09:31 AM

I had to sell my mustang and trade in two cars to get that damn Charger. It was well worth it though, I love it, plus I'm saving about $400 a month (I did have two car payments and 3 full coverage insurance payments). :eek: