PDA

View Full Version : electrical?

Tag
05-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Been having this problem for a couple weeks now... dunno?

My headlights started getting real dim, and the guage panel as well.. so I figured the alternator was going out... took it to autozone it tested at like 92 peak amps... bought a reman, put it in... same issue, only slightly worse... took it back next day, it tested at 82.4 peak amps? right lol... so they took it back and gave me a brand new one... i install it and im still having the same damn problem...

start the car, everything SEEMS ok, except the battery voltage guage is reading low.... when i hit the brake pedal, all the guages go out and drop to their neutral position and the lights go damn near out and if the radio is on, it loses power as well... lol...

I've checked all the grounds and fuses... i can't really spot any bad connections... wth? there's no way i got a bad reman, and a bad BRAND NEW alternator... lol

heelllllp lol

PaulFiveOh
05-04-2008, 07:35 PM
I know you said you checked them, but I would verify your grounds again. Maybe even move them around to a new spot.

Tag
05-04-2008, 07:44 PM
and to add to it... when i turn the headlights on it makes a loud ass clicking under in the passenger side wheel well... by the cold air filter

Tag
05-04-2008, 09:55 PM
could there be some kind of fucked up relay or something somewhere? lol... when the car is off and i turn the headlights on it makes some crazy clicking ass noise.. lol, and when i hit the brake pedal when the lights are on it does it to... i feel like a fucking retard tryin to figure this out, haha.......

facemelter71
05-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Year make and model of car.And list mods if you could.Is the battery in the trunk?

Tag
05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
96 gt, cai,exhaust, pi, alu driveshaft, 99 cobra t45, nothing really major. optima bat in original place.

bobtsgt
05-05-2008, 02:51 PM
did you have the battery load tested as well?

Tag
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah he said its "ok just has a low charge, which is understandable if the alternator is only putting out so and so amps" ... lol so........

PonymanfiveO
05-05-2008, 06:45 PM
... took it to autozone it tested at like 92 peak amps... bought a reman, put it in...

there is your first problem.
I call it "last resort zone" I dont ever go in that place unless they have something I need that noone else in town has.

Id say pull the inner fender plastic out and find out what is clicking first of all.

good luck with it! ;)

ibstrokin
05-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm a big fan of doing a 3g 130a alt. upgrade. When I had my white car, I was having charging issues, I put in a 3g, then I could crank the stereo (2 amps) with the heater, headlights,and power windows going with no trouble at all. New 3g's are about $180, you can find them used for about $50.