PDA

View Full Version : My '88 hatchback makeover

Stangman
05-07-2008, 12:58 AM
It has been a LOOOONNG time since I posted any progress pics of my '88, So with my spare time I've been able to bum some high speed wireless internet off a friend of mine at his place. So I uploaded several pictures onto my photobucket account, A lot of them are old but I uploaded them just so most of you can see what it was before it became a permanent jackstand fixture:lol:...

The Plans:

To turn a 4cyl LX into a 5.0 GT

Explorer longblock, E-cam, explorer upper/lower
World Class T5
8.8 rear with 3.73's, welded axle tubes... Still hoping for 31 spline diff/ranger axles
upper/lower control arms
Welded torque boxes
5-lug swap with '94-'95 Spindles
and Bullitts one day...

I am currently re-skinning the roof to get rid of the NON-factory sunroof...

I've fixed a lot of rust on this car, the only rust left on the car is at the drivers strut tower at the bottom. I will be using Chassis Saver underneath it to protect it for a loooong time. I am also putting the complete GT ground effects on this car.

I've done and will be doing most of the work on this car myself including the paint and bodywork

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m135/stangman_77/my%20pics/1988%20Mustang/

Enjoy :bigthumb

DeckerEnt
05-07-2008, 07:36 AM
That looks damn good there guy! You are braver than me. Coming along well. Keep it up.
Keith

Stangman
05-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Did some more work to the '88 today, didnt even intend to, but I just walked out there and started looking at the roof, next thing you know I am straightening all the edges out with a hammer and dolly... then I ended up FINALLY fixing the rust on the drivers side strut tower by the frame rail, I started on it a while back but moved on to a few other things first, well now its fixed, just needs finish work and it will look great. I would definitely like to thank Plated for fine tuning my skills in patch making :bigthumb

Had to do some moving around on Photobucket, Here is a NEW link to the pics:

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m135/stangman_77/1988%20mustang/?start=0

DeckerEnt
05-08-2008, 11:05 PM
That looks familiar. Once you grind those welds down, it is going to look good.
Keith

Stangman
05-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm surprised how well it actually turned out, I just kinda threw it together, I didnt expect my peice of test mock up steel would end up as the finished product

Stangman
05-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Did some work to the car today, once again, didnt even plan on it, it just happened. anyway, I got both contact surfaces of the roof and the car ground down and sat the roof on it. I started to tack the roof in place..... and ran out of argon!!! :mad:

on a happier note, I sandblasted my k-member and it turned out nice, and I put a nice coat of gloss black chassis saver on it, going to turn it over and paint the bottom tomorrow. No pics yet, still havent gotten batteries for my camera!

I havent decided to blast my control arms and chassis saver them and wait to buy bushings and whatnot for them, or wait, save up the money and buy some control arms from a fella on here...

Stangman
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Did some more work to the car, I've got the holes in the hatch welded and ground down and new holes drilled for the GT spoiler, so that is finally done, I also started tacking the roof on it now that I have some more gas and wire. I might have to take a break on this thing for a week or two to get caught up with school... which sucks

I sat back and thought about it... this thing is almost ready for bodywork and paint!! :D

DeckerEnt
05-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Good to hear. Post up some pics..
Keith

Stangman
05-22-2008, 12:52 PM
already on photobucket as of last night :bigthumb

ponyboystroker
05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Nice progress! Keep it up and someday soon you may have a nice fox body.

Stangman
05-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks Chris, I sure hope so, it's only my second fox I've ever owned (my coupe being the third) and after I had the '89 GT and wrecked it, I realized what I was missing out on, and realized what that car was missing, and from then on I've wanted to build a nice one my way and build it right.

DeckerEnt
05-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Did you hack all the holes in the K member? Mine doesn't have nearly that many holes in it.
Keith

Stangman
05-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Nope, newer K-members had the holes in them, probably for weight i would imagine

mustang3091
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey Jessie looking good i still have that bracket and line for you hey i got a factory sunroof car here with a very nice roof and glass if you wanted to go with a sunroof

Stangman
05-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks Ed, yeah i'll pick up that stuff whenever you want to meet up for those fender extensions, I figured I'd just swap a solid roof onto the car and save the hassle, heck its almost done now, lol

R825OH
05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Lookin good Jesse!

Stangman
05-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, I just came back in from the garage... and the roof is finally completely welded on the car! Woo!

I'm gonna take a butane torch and and heat up the remaining lead and get it off the car when it comes time to duraglass'n all the seams

It's coming along!

Next weld job is the torque boxes