PDA

View Full Version : bout to go nuts

smoker
05-18-2008, 03:30 PM
89 5.o vert...ive put new struts on, new plugs, cap all the usual stuff but recently there is some vibration and occassionaly an accomanying squeak under acceleration. car has had a fairly recent clutch and associated parts along witha resurfaced flywheel. it wont do it up in the air, we got it off the ground and no noise, if you push the clutch in it will quit, the noise seems to happen most notably in first but the vibration is most noticable in second....clutch doesnt seem to slip and i cant find anything wrong with the suspension....im kinda leaning toward the clutch but want second opinions...

IEATLT1
05-18-2008, 03:35 PM
mismatched balanced flywheel?

Timido
05-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Make sure you ballancer is not coming apart. Stock ones the rubber will start to come out and it can cause vibrations. Check you U-joints and Slip yoke also

todd86
05-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I've seen a chipped tooth in the tranny do that. can u feel it in the shifter?

smoker
05-18-2008, 05:01 PM
cant feel it in the shifter, and weve checked the balancer as well, it looks good. it didnt do it when i got the car so im reluctant to look too hard at a mismatched flywheel. are there any telltale signs that might point at either the rear end or the clutch?

shep
05-18-2008, 09:21 PM
if you have some driveline vibrations...check U joints also

smoker
05-20-2008, 10:23 AM
u joints ok, the car will buck sometimes letting it run down in like 2nd or 3rd gear. has a new tranny mount, motor mounts maybe? gonna go over the rear end today or tommorrow....

fst 5pto
05-21-2008, 07:55 PM
I will have to second the balancer suggestion.... my car did this at one time and racked my brains trying to figure it out. eventually it got so bad the balancer was wobbling and that's when I diagnosed the problem.

smoker
05-21-2008, 08:31 PM
ill take another look at it, i went to my buddys valvoline today and we got under it and had someone fire it up and tach it up while we were under there, and i had him take it for a drive, the best i can figure is it might be the flywheel, it was resurfaced before i got the car and perhaps it needs replaced, im not big on resurfacing somehting like a flywheel anyway but ill take another look at the balancer

fst 5pto
05-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I would even try swapping a good one into it.... doesn't take too long. I know my vibration went away when I pushed the cluth pedal....

ibstrokin
05-21-2008, 11:33 PM
There is nothing wrong with resurfacing a flywheel, standard practice. It could possibly be rear gear, if you let off the gas (coast side of the gear) and the squeak goes away. I would suggest taking it to someone with alot of experience and let them listen to it, or drive it.

NXcoupe
05-22-2008, 10:13 AM
A squeak with vibration says ujoint to me. When you push in the clutch the load comes off the driveshaft and the ujoints will unload and straighten out. It will often go away when the car is up in the air because the driveshaft is in a sharp angle and takes most of the play out of the ujoints. Just a thought, if you have a buddy with a good driveshaft swap it out and see if the problem persists.

smoker
05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
well the good news is that with everything i have been doing, the sqeak has gone away. the vibration is still there so ill probably try and locate a balancer and see if it fixes the problem, thatll be a helluva lot easier than getting into tranny or clutch issues..

fst 5pto
05-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Where are you located?

smoker
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
florence ky

fst 5pto
05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Well if you wanna make a trip up to Fairfield, OH I have a balancer you can use and the air and tools to check it....

smoker
05-22-2008, 06:16 PM
i think at this point im gonna go ahead and buy one, ive already dumped a little money into it so i think ill look into an aftermarket one. i do appreciatte the offere though...