PDA

View Full Version : Put-in-Bay - recommendations?

REDHOTGTGIRL
05-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Since it looks like we won't be taking a full, week long vacation this year, we are looking for somewhere within 4-5 hours to go on a 4-5 day trip. I have heard good things about Put-in-Bay, so I am looking into it. I haven't been there, so I have no idea where to look and thought I'd see if any of you have been there before and have any recommendations on where to stay, where to eat, what to do, etc. We would like to stay somewhere affordable, but still nice. So post up any links or info you have. Thanks!!

glassman
05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Call Jason @ Cincy speed he has gone there a few times.

nkystanger
05-21-2008, 08:58 AM
I go up once or twice a year....

If you are looking for a party, go up the weekend of "Christmas in July" or "New Years" in Sept. It is a different world up there. They call it the Key West of the north.

Il get you the link of the hotel we stay at.

REDHOTGTGIRL
05-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Oh, I like the sound of that... Key West of the North. Sounds like my kind of place! Oddly enough, the weekend I was thinking of going is the weekend of Christmas in July. Cool! I would appreciate the link, thanks!!

nkystanger
05-21-2008, 10:04 AM
We stay at the Islander Inn. They have a huge pool and a swim up bar. Normally the pool area during the day is the place to be, live band, booze.....

I know Christmas in July is a popular weekend, the hotels might be sold out but im not sure. Here is the link

http://www.islanderinnpib.com/

As far as bars, Go to the Round Bar, Mr eds and the Worlds largest bar. The bar district is pretty much all on the same street and about a block away from the Islander Inn.

There are a few winery's you can visit, but those are off the beaten bath and you will need to rent bicyicles or mopeds.

I wouldn't bring your car on the island,(take the Jet express to get to pib from the main land) you can pretty much walk to everything from your hotel.

REDHOTGTGIRL
05-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info. The reason I was considering that weekend is because it is my birthday weekend and I have an extra day off work and wouldn't have to use as much vacation time. I didn't realize it was the Christmas in July weekend until I started looking into it. I'm sure rooms are booking up quickly, so we may not be able to go then, plus rooms are more expensive then too. But we will see. Thanks again for the info!!

cobrajoe
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
T and I went up to both Ceder Point and out to Put in Bay. Now what we did was just go up and drive along the coast and stayed at mom and pop places. T went back up after Alex was born with one of here friends and I'll have to ask her where they stayed at that time. Make sure you just take time to explore the island, visit the monument, the cave, glacier groves, winery, etc. They had golf carts and bikes to rent when we was there. I'll find out what T did when she went up and post more later.

Holly
05-21-2008, 11:19 AM
My sister's sister-in-law invited me to go up there one year with her and a group of girls. I was living with Vinny, I had no desire to go up there, I knew it was a party weekend that involved beers and boys (all the girls were single). I didn't go, but I remember telling him about it, and he started calling it "Put in Butt". :lol: (leave it to Vinny!)

Anyway, that group of girls goes every year, they say it's a BLAST up there. I'd like to check it out sometime.

JuicedH22
05-21-2008, 11:24 AM
It is a great time, Mr Eds was probably my favorite bar, we ended up there every night then on the weekend when all the 'locals' came in and it went from a quiet town to a party town they let us in the back 'vip' entrance just for the fact we had been there every night, lol. but all the bars are good for a crawl. We stayed at a bed and breakfast down the road, that had a golf cart for rent, a hot tub, and nice rooms (but if you are going w/ friends, not significant other, then I guess a bed and breakfast would be weird)

REDHOTGTGIRL
05-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Well as of right now, it is just me and the hubby so a bed and breakfast would be okay. Thanks for all the info, I'm going to keep looking it but may find another weekend that's not as expensive or busy.

nkystanger
05-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Well as of right now, it is just me and the hubby so a bed and breakfast would be okay. Thanks for all the info, I'm going to keep looking it but may find another weekend that's not as expensive or busy.

if you can hold off, New years(big party weekend) is in sept and the rates are back down by that time.

REDHOTGTGIRL
05-21-2008, 12:08 PM
That's cool. Is it pretty hopping during the week too or is all the partying on the weekends? Rates are cheaper if you go during the week, so we may do that instead. I'm thinking the last week of July after their Christmas in July thing.

JuicedH22
05-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Its pretty quiet during the week, very quiet as a matter of fact, then friday afternoon/evening it fills up with the college crowd and others and stays that way through the weekend.

I highly recommend the Winery, they have wine tasting, tours of the winery, and if you like dessert wines, definitely try the iced wine, it is great. I also recommend seeing the caves, its a fun stop as well. Then you can go out the beach/sand bar and hang out as well, you can go para-gliding over the lake which is a lot of fun. Honestly you can do the fun stuff, the party stuff, or even just relax quietly (moreso on the relaxation if you do a bed and breakfast).

Oh, this is the B&B we stayed at, they cater exclusively to couples.
http://www.putinbaywisteriainn.com/index.html

you can also check out
http://www.pibinfo.com/put-in-baybnbs.html

and
www.putinbay.com

Jaylynn
05-21-2008, 06:34 PM
winery, bars, little shops etc. I'd spend a day at Cedar Point also!

Holly
05-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I'd spend a day at Cedar Point also!

How far is Cedar Point from there?

Jaylynn
05-22-2008, 08:15 AM
I don't know that i ever went to both places at the same time. We went to cedar point as a kid but always a day-trip from Lima. Tim & I went to put in bay when we were first dating & took the ferry from Port Clinton (i think that's where it is). Looks pretty close -

http://www.cedarpoint.com/_upload/trip_planning/2006map.gif

Ric54
05-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Take the ferry out to the Island then rent a golf cart and start cruising around. Lots of scenery and tourist type places. Very relaxing!

REDHOTGTGIRL
05-23-2008, 09:29 AM
So is there a secure lot to leave your car in? Thanks again for all the info, it sounds like a great place so I'm really hoping we can make it up there this summer.

nkystanger
05-23-2008, 10:57 AM
We use the secure lot that can be used if you take the Jet Express over.

ffmueller81
05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Yeah, Put-in Bay..... I love that place... "The only place where you don't lose your girlfriend, you just lose your turn..." hahahaha

"It is easier to get tail up there than when I was in college." -that's what one of the guys from my group said about it.... ;) I think they put pheromones in the water or something.

BTW: We make our reservations for X-mas in July in January and they are usually booked by March...

My parents have gone on an off party weekend and really enjoyed it.

Goldenpony
05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Just got back from PIB, very cool place. IMO best bar is The Round House. Ate dinner at the Boardwalk, very good. You must try the lobster bisque. If you have time, go up on Perry's Monument. Have fun!