PDA

View Full Version : Question for the pro body guys

Stangman
05-22-2008, 01:05 PM
I am reskinning the roof on my hatchback, and when it comes to filling in over the seams to hide them like ford did from the factory would one reccomend Duraglass?? Thats what I planned to use, or should I attempt to lead it in again? Or are there other methods?

From what I've seen, Duraglass is pretty stout stuff so I thought it would be a good choice.

Not sure how bad the body could/would twist at the 4 locations to be filled, so I dont want anything to end up cracking off, I'd be seriously pissed if I got it painted the way I wanted to and the shit fell off! :mad:

I plan to beat this car at the track a lot...

MFIELD
05-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Are you putting in any kind of cage? Subframe conectors? Duraglass is good stuff, very hard and resists moisture. Unless you add to the stucture of the car it will twist no matter what. I dought it will twist enough to crack the filler but you never know. Do a first coat of Duraglass and then a good quality bondo over top of it and you should be fine. i still recomend doing something to the chassis.

Sparky
05-22-2008, 09:29 PM
As long as you weld the seam solid versus just tack or plug welding it, you won't have any trouble with duraglass. If the seam isn't very deep, you really don't need it at all. You would be fine with regular filler. If you want the ultimate fix,cut out a little plate to bridge over the seam and weld it solid as well...should be able to damn near metal finish it. Just keep your heat buildup under control. Heat =warpage

Stangman
05-22-2008, 11:12 PM
definitely doing subframe connectors, my last fox was a flimsy bitch! Cage in the future possibly, although i dont know... I like being able to get in and out of a car easily

as for the the plate to bridge over the seam that is a great idea, I have enough scrap sheet steel from the old roof to cover that. I'd say the seam is about a 1/4 to 5/16's of an inch deep, but i havent measured. Planned to use the Duraglass, and then finish it with some Evercoat Rage... cant remember which one... Extreme or Gold... I forget. As for the welding, I've been tacking every 1/4 inch or so, then going back over the line until all the tack welds meet, and been keeping the welder on the first heat setting as well.

MFIELD
05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds like you got it.:bigthumb

Stangman
05-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Sure hope so, thanks guys! :bigthumb

mustangjon
06-03-2008, 08:47 PM
your on right track, like above said, if you havent finished this yet... make sure to keep the duraglass somewhat thin tho, 1/8inch roughly. Great filler downside no flex, you get any sorta glass/all metal ect too thick its gonna crack under stress. then knock off top with 24/36 grit and fill with bondo as said. I melted the lead out and did same on my 71.