PDA

View Full Version : Gonna give e85 a shot

mustangboy
06-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Well after debating what to do with my current setup I've decided to give e85 a shot. My compression is in the 11.5-1 range so it is a little high to run straight pump gas and I figure mixing race gas will just be a pain. I called Quick Fuel as I just bought one of their carbs and they said they can convert it for $150. My other option was to go w/ the big chamber heads but that would run around $2k so I figure it is kinda no brainer. If it don't work out all I'm out is $150. Also I figure my stock heads with a really good port job will support 600hp so other than weight there is no real reason to invest a fortune in a set of new heads. So once the carb is back I'm gonna get it on the dyno and then I may swap cams in order to be able get some more vaccum which will make tuning alot easier for the street. Oh well that is my update for now.

DOPE3
06-07-2008, 04:00 PM
i have a dodge van that runs on e85 and it runs like crap and get shitty gas milage i hope it works out for you

Katmandu
06-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Well after debating what to do with my current setup I've decided to give e85 a shot. Yea, like DOPE3 said. There goes your MPG! :lol:

Jeff88coupe
06-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Like I've told you before...your setup should like E85 since you can take advantage of the 105 octane it has. Most normal cars can't...so it isn't cost effective when you look at the milage. But if your combo need higher octane than 93 pump gas (due to compression/boost)...then it's a hell of alot cheaper than mixing race gas in with pump 93 to be able to drive. My coupe picked up 10rwhp on the dyno with out even adding more timing to the tune vs my 93 pump gas tune. Today was the first day I ran at the track with the E85....11.09 at 122 on motor...10.05 at 135 on the spray...on a damm HOT greasy track.

Katmandu
06-07-2008, 09:14 PM
cstreu1026 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Gonna give e85 a shot - in the General forum of StangBangerz Forums.

---Quote (Originally by Katmandu)---
Yea, like DOPE3 said. There goes your MPG! :lol:
---End Quote---

Um its a big block mustang. I don't think you usually worry about MPG with something like that.

Good Lord people. Where's your sense of humor. :rolleyes:

cstreu1026
06-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Well I can't remember if he is still going big block or not.

Any way sarcasm really doesn't always translate well through a key board.

Katmandu
06-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Any way sarcasm really doesn't always translate well through a key board.That's what SMILIE .GIFs are used for. :wave:

You just didn't see it at the end of my posting. :dummy: :cheers:

Yea, like DOPE3 said. There goes your MPG! --->>> :lol: :bigthumb

mustangboy
06-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes it is still a big block and I thought if I really baby it, like thats ever gonna happen, I might get 10mph. If figure to be more in the 7-8mpg.

Hey Jeff Congrats on the times. I'm sure with a little cooler weather and more tuning you'll be well into the 9's. BTW what were your 60's.

YouGotJunk
06-08-2008, 02:39 AM
So you put all this money and so on into building you a nice big motor..and then you shortcut it on fuel and want to run some junk ass e85?? How much are you really saving?? It uses 30% more..add that to the price of it and you dont come out much ahead. I just bought 115 turbo blue tonight for 5.89 a gallon...and it's really nice knowing I have the best in there and have a little more room for error if my tunes get off a little. So you save what...maybe 20 bux on a fill up??? Sounds pretty dumb to me...But hey...if you'd rather save 20 now..and spend a 1000 on pistons later..it's your choice!!

cstreu1026
06-08-2008, 09:12 AM
WTF are you talking about?

mustangboy
06-08-2008, 09:33 AM
e85 is 105 octane. I'm right on the fine line of pump gas and race gas. e85 should work really well for what I wanna do. In fact w/ your turbo setup it would work really well too. You ought to do some reading on it.

Buckeye
06-08-2008, 09:48 AM
So you put all this money and so on into building you a nice big motor..and then you shortcut it on fuel and want to run some junk ass e85?? How much are you really saving?? It uses 30% more..add that to the price of it and you dont come out much ahead. I just bought 115 turbo blue tonight for 5.89 a gallon...and it's really nice knowing I have the best in there and have a little more room for error if my tunes get off a little. So you save what...maybe 20 bux on a fill up??? Sounds pretty dumb to me...But hey...if you'd rather save 20 now..and spend a 1000 on pistons later..it's your choice!!

YOu should do some reading before you call other people dumb. other than it using more fuel there is no down fall for his setup.

Kwik92GT
06-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Use the E-85. Not sure what makes a fuel with 105 octane and still costs less than $4 a gallon junk, but, you aren't shortcutting your engine by using it. The issue is usually just based on availability, not every gas station carries it. That can be said for any "race gas" though. I say go for it. Hard to beat for a higher HP/higher compression street car that could use the detonation resistance.

cstreu1026
06-08-2008, 10:23 AM
e85 is 105 octane. I'm right on the fine line of pump gas and race gas. e85 should work really well for what I wanna do. In fact w/ your turbo setup it would work really well too. You ought to do some reading on it.

Yup E85 works great with turbo cars. You more more volume of fuel so produce more exhaust more quickly so the turbo spools up faster.

Waffles
06-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Depending on composition and source, E85 has an octane rating of 100 - 105[4] compared to regular gasoline's typical rating of 87 - 93. This allows it to be used in higher compression engines which tend to produce more power per unit of displacement than their gasoline counterparts. Since the reciprocating mass of the engine increases in proportion to the displacement of the engine E85 has a higher potential efficiency for an engine of equal power. One complication is that use of gasoline in an engine with a high enough compression ratio to use E85 efficiently would likely result in catastrophic failure due to engine detonation, as the octane rating of gasoline is not high enough to withstand the greater compression ratios in use in an engine specifically designed to run on E85. Use of E85 in an engine designed specifically for gasoline would result in a loss of the potential efficiency that it is possible to gain with this fuel. Using E85 in a gasoline engine has the drawback of achieving lower fuel economy as more fuel is needed per unit air (stoichiometric fuel ratio) to run the engine in comparison with gasoline. E85 also has a lower heating value (units of energy per unit mass) than gasoline leading to a reduction in power output in a gasoline engine. E85 consumes more fuel in flex fuel type vehicles when the vehicle uses the same fuel/air mixture and compression for both E85 and gasoline because of its lower stoichiometric fuel ratio and lower heating value. European car maker Saab currently produces a flex fuel version of their 9-5 sedan which consumes the same amount of fuel whether running e85 or gasoline[5], though it is not available in the United States. So in order to save money at the pump with current flex fuel vehicles available in the United States the price of E85 must be much lower than gasoline. Currently E85 is about 5-10% less expensive in most areas.[6] More than 20 fueling stations across the Midwest are selling E85 25%-40% cheaper than gasoline.[7] E85 also gets less MPG, at least in flex fuel vehicles. In one test, a Chevy Tahoe flex-fuel vehicle averaged 18 MPG [U.S. gallons] for gasoline, and 13 MPG for E85, or 28% fewer MPG than gasoline. In that test, the cost of gas averaged $3.42, while the cost for E85 averaged $3.09, or 90% the cost of gasoline.

Seems like good info... didn't really know much about E85 . I'm going to do some more reading.

Katmandu
06-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Use the E-85. Not sure what makes a fuel with 105 octane and still costs less than $4 a gallon junk,I'll tell you what makes e85!!!

---->>>>> :popcorn: !!!! :eek:

You guys quit buying this E85 stuff right now!! :mad:

You're making my :popcorn: get TOO EXPENSIVE !!!!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Katmandu
06-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Seriously. E85 IS one of the main factors the price of food is rising so fast.

NO JOKE. Google it.

Another thing about E85 that is perplexing to me is the COST!! There's a Kroger's gas station right around the corner from me that sells E85. The price of E85 has kept up lock-stock-n-barrel right along with the price of gasoline!

Kroger's has kept E85's price about 15% cheaper than gasoline since they started selling it about a year ago. :rolleyes:

Anyways, like the dude's said above. E85 is an excellent source of Octane Booster though. :bigthumb

Kwik92GT
06-08-2008, 11:33 AM
You guys quit buying this E85 stuff right now!! :mad:

You're making my :popcorn: get TOO EXPENSIVE !!!!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not going to quit buying it so you better start growing your own! LOL :bigthumb

cstreu1026
06-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Seriously. E85 IS one of the main factors the price of food is rising so fast.

NO JOKE. Google it.

Another thing about E85 that is perplexing to me is the COST!! There's a Kroger's gas station right around the corner from me that sells E85. The price of E85 has kept up lock-stock-n-barrel right along with the price of gasoline!

Kroger's has kept E85's price about 15% cheaper than gasoline since they started selling it about a year ago. :rolleyes:

Anyways, like the dude's said above. E85 is an excellent source of Octane Booster though. :bigthumb

Food prices are going up because it costs more to produce and it cost more to transport. Plain and simple. The cost to plant an acre of corn has gone through the roof. The cost of seed, fertilizer, diesel fuel, labor, and even things like health insurance have all gone way up and all have an affect on food prices.

YouGotJunk
06-08-2008, 04:11 PM

I've read alot about it actually and have two buddies that tried using it..one of them already switched back to good race gas cause he didn't like it..and the other one is still trying to use it. I've read all about it and I just think for the small amount of money you save with it...it's not worth taking the chance..so I choose to just run full out race gas (turbo blue 115). You guys cant tell me that you actually think that e85 is just as good as turbo blue or cam 2 or c16 and the rest of the high grade race fuels. I know quite a few people actually build gas stations and set all the pumps and tanks and so on...and several have told me they wouldn't run it in anything they own...

YouGotJunk
06-08-2008, 04:15 PM
YOu should do some reading before you call other people dumb. other than it using more fuel there is no down fall for his setup.

I'm not calling anyone dumb...All i'm saying is why put some junk fuel in a motor that he's just put who knows how much money in...instead of using a good quality race fuel. I just dont see why people shortcut on their fuel...

cstreu1026
06-08-2008, 05:01 PM
have you priced C16 lately? Its about $12 a gallon. I know a few people running it with a lot of success. I would love to hear why people build gas stations wouldn't run it. BTW, turbo blue is leaded and that will cause all sorts of problems in a modern car.

Katmandu
06-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm not going to quit buying it so you better start growing your own! LOL :bigthumbThat's OK. I had the BEST tasting Kettle-made :popcorn: this afternoon at the Troy Strawberry Festival! :bigthumb

I'd gladly pay $5 a bag for it -Vs- $5 gallon of gasoline! The stuff was unbelievably GOOD!!! Anyone ever tried it ??

YouGotJunk
06-08-2008, 05:41 PM
have you priced C16 lately? Its about $12 a gallon. I know a few people running it with a lot of success. I would love to hear why people build gas stations wouldn't run it. BTW, turbo blue is leaded and that will cause all sorts of problems in a modern car.

The turbo blue that I buy..which is 115 octane..is 5.89 a gallon. What's e85 these days?? 3.00?? Plus you burn around 30% more..so that bumps it up to what..around 3.90?? So now for every 10 gallons you buy...your saving 20 bux...To me...saving 20 dollars doesn't justify the extra safeness of running ALOT better fuel.

cstreu1026
06-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I love kettle corn but my wife hates it. I wanted to make it up to the Strawberry Festival this weekend but it rained yesterday and it was hot as hell today.

Metcalf Racing
06-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm still not sure where you buy 105 octane E85 The pumps I've seen all say 100oct.
Plus I have a buddy that has smoked 10 pistons with that stuff and he has a BIG STUFF 3 to calculate the change. He had better luck with pump gas.

cstreu1026
06-08-2008, 05:47 PM
The turbo blue that I buy..which is 115 octane..is 5.89 a gallon. What's e85 these days?? 3.00?? Plus you burn around 30% more..so that bumps it up to what..around 3.90?? So now for every 10 gallons you buy...your saving 20 bux...To me...saving 20 dollars doesn't justify the extra safeness of running ALOT better fuel.

And the turbo blue is still leaded which destroys O2 sensors and last time I check it is bad for you. There is a reason the federal government banned tetraethyl lead in gasoline you know. On top of that E85 is probably more widely available around here than race gas.

So you have to burn 30% more. E85 is $2.90-$2.95 around Dayton which comes out to about 50% cheaper than the turbo blue you are buying. I am still waiting for a good reason why E85 is "junk ass" fuel as you called it. I'm the first one to admit that its not a replacement for gas for the average driver but as an alternative to race gas for this pushing the envelope on a street car its great.

cstreu1026
06-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm still not sure where you buy 105 octane E85 The pumps I've seen all say 100oct.
Plus I have a buddy that has smoked 10 pistons with that stuff and he has a BIG STUFF 3 to calculate the change. He had better luck with pump gas.

Well that is a tuning issue and it has nothing to do with the fuel. It takes some time to tune it. Ethanol has different chemical properties and does burn differently than regular gasoline. You can't just add 30% more fuel and expect it work right.

YouGotJunk
06-08-2008, 06:13 PM
And the turbo blue is still leaded which destroys O2 sensors and last time I check it is bad for you. There is a reason the federal government banned tetraethyl lead in gasoline you know. On top of that E85 is probably more widely available around here than race gas.

So you have to burn 30% more. E85 is $2.90-$2.95 around Dayton which comes out to about 50% cheaper than the turbo blue you are buying. I am still waiting for a good reason why E85 is "junk ass" fuel as you called it. I'm the first one to admit that its not a replacement for gas for the average driver but as an alternative to race gas for this pushing the envelope on a street car its great.

Ok I understand now. I'd much rather save 30 bux each time I completely fill my car up than to know my car has good gas in it. I'm not trying to say that running a good quality leaded race fuel is the answer for every car...but for HIS car which doesn't use 02 sensors..I think it's by far the best choice and the safest choice. Now would I run it in a new car...no...but I wouldn't run e85 either. Leaded fuels might be bad for us..but what ISN'T?? They say fast food is bad for us too..they going to ban that?? They say alcohol is bad for ya..and causes liver diseases...last time I checked 80% of the people around here are drunkards (LOL) so is everyone going to stop that too??..Owell though, we all have different opinions and you guys can make whatever decision you choose..

Kwik92GT
06-08-2008, 06:31 PM
That's OK. I had the BEST tasting Kettle-made :popcorn: this afternoon at the Troy Strawberry Festival! :bigthumb

I'd gladly pay $5 a bag for it -Vs- $5 gallon of gasoline! The stuff was unbelievably GOOD!!! Anyone ever tried it ??

I've had it before, good stuff. I was parked right across the street from you Friday night. My soon to be step-son had a Big Wheel race. Fun stuff even with the heat.

I have a buddy that has smoked 10 pistons with that stuff and he has a BIG STUFF 3 to calculate the change. He had better luck with pump gas.If someone smoked 10 pistons with E85 (even the 100 octane version) they have something else going on. Something in the tune up or a inadequate fuel system. I'm not saying E-85 is the best thing since sliced bread but it's waaaay better than the 92-93 camel whizz we are usually stuck using. It's no comparison to C16, but, neither is Turbo Blue or Cam2.

If you have a car that really needs 115 octane then it's obviously not a good fuel to use. I think a car that's barely able to get by on 92-93 octane will find E-85 a GREAT alternative to actual race gas. You just need to tune for it like anything else and keep in mind that your fuel system, overall, needs to be able to handle the volume of fuel needed. If you have a borderline fuel system that's barely getting by as it is, it will be exposed.

Jeff88coupe
06-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I guess there are different grades of Turbo Blue? Since I'm almost sure the Marathon station across from Tri-state turbo blue pump said it was 110.
E85 isn't for everybody...but it works great for my needs. My 347 is 10.8:1 compression. I use to race it n/a and drive it on the street on pump 93. But everytime I wanted to spray it I would need to mix in 3-4 gallons of what ever 110+ leaded race gas I could find. I was a bit of a pita to mess with for me. With the 105 octane E85 (the winter blend E70 is less octane..probably around 100) I don't have to worry about getting leaded race gas. Like any "performance" setup..it's all about the tune. E85 is far from "junk" gas...hell indy cars run E100. You just have to have the tune right. All I run is a SCT chip in my stock A9P computer. 30% more fuel across the fuel table will get you close on your a/f ratio. I'm very happy with it...it's easily available for me. I have 2 Kroger gas stations that carry it local to me. Even thinking of getting a personalized plate for my coupe. Thinking of CRN FED or N2O E85 :)

Metcalf Racing
06-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I guess there are different grades of Turbo Blue? Since I'm almost sure the Marathon station across from Tri-state turbo blue pump said it was 110.
E85 isn't for everybody...but it works great for my needs. My 347 is 10.8:1 compression. I use to race it n/a and drive it on the street on pump 93. But everytime I wanted to spray it I would need to mix in 3-4 gallons of what ever 110+ leaded race gas I could find. I was a bit of a pita to mess with for me. With the 105 octane E85 (the winter blend E70 is less octane..probably around 100) I don't have to worry about getting leaded race gas. Like any "performance" setup..it's all about the tune. E85 is far from "junk" gas...hell indy cars run E100. You just have to have the tune right. All I run is a SCT chip in my stock A9P computer. 30% more fuel across the fuel table will get you close on your a/f ratio. I'm very happy with it...it's easily available for me. I have 2 Kroger gas stations that carry it local to me. Even thinking of getting a personalized plate for my coupe. Thinking of CRN FED or N2O E85 :)If they play with the blend woudn't that make it more sketchy

Jeff88coupe
06-08-2008, 07:21 PM
If they play with the blend woudn't that make it more sketchy

Yes...to a point. One reason I have a in-car A/F meter. But it's just like the different blends of pump gas for winter vs. summer. They add more gasoline to the ethanol fuel during the winter for easier cold starts.

Metcalf Racing
06-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I've just never seen a car hold up on it. BES spit all over it also.