PDA

View Full Version : matching paint on body kit

Lexstang
06-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I was wondering. I've seen some cars with body kits that don't match the cars paint. Does much compensation for the aging of oem paint have to be done before painting aftermarket parts or is it more from a different brand of paint that isn't really the same color? A complete repaint isn't really required to guarantee a good match it is?

A05C
06-10-2008, 05:25 AM
its hard to match paint colors. you could get a color that matches perfectly and just upon how its applied can make it lighter or darker. not one person paints the same so if you have it painted and get it to look really good i'de suggest takeing it to the same person over and over. if you dont, you risk a more inexperienced person to make it a very noticeable difference

347sc
06-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Color has alot to do with it too. It can be blended up on the connecting panels so a complete repaint isnt required. Any paint worth a damn should be able to do it with no problems. Remember you get what you pay for.

Lexstang
06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Where would I look for the ford yn paint? Would KOI be able to hook me up?

347sc
06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Koi or Smyth. They both have a machine that can match paint pretty close if its faded,no code, etc

mustangjon
06-10-2008, 08:21 PM
it all depends on color/metallic ect.. higher metallic content harder it will be to match.. to many variables, air pressure/coats/painter/distance gun held/ hence reason pearl jobs are next to impossible to match without blending and untrained eye wont see a blend but most good eyes can. you could take same can of paint.. spray the car/spray the body kit off the car in same booth at same time.. and they will end up different because the thickness isnt the exact same. This is all assuming base/clear or tricoat. Single stage solid colors unless horribly faded are alot easier to pull of panel painting. White and black being easiest to panel paint. silvers/golds worst to attempt. also if old paint is faded some... can buff before or after to get closer to original color so should match closer.

347sc
06-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Black yes white not so much. There are some many variances on whites.Plus most clears will yellow up a white alot of times. Never really had any problems blending any job as long as the mix was close,and pearls never were that hard to me.