PDA

View Full Version : Champion Fiberglass Elanore hood...

INSANEBA
06-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Has anyone tried one of theese hoods for an 05-08 from Champion fiberglass? We just put one on an 06 GT that we're re-building and it was'nt pretty. It was as thin as some of the Cincy Comp hoods I've seen. The owner of the car actually put his thumb through the top layer of the hood at the back left corner.:mad: I know they rushed to make it for us to finish the car in time, but that's still crap. Let me know if you've used or seen/checked out a hood for an 05-08 from them. I havent ever had any problems with the fox hoods, and that's why it's tripping me out right now. Thanks in advance, Brandon...

craigels
06-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Mom's car has the same hood. Body guy said it took a little extra prep, but overall wasn't bad. Final fit and finish turned out real nice.

Craig

INSANEBA
06-11-2008, 02:26 PM
This one os so thin, you can flex the whole hood with just one or two fingers. We were pretty hacked off with it, but had to use it or not have the car done for the deadline. My friend is trying to have it finished for his wedding, his new bride actually owns it, and wants to take it on their honeymoon. So we had to bite the pillow, but arent happy at all with it. I cant garantee that it will stay on the car after that, it's too nice of a car to put crap on it. Thanks for the reply Craig...

IEATLT1
06-12-2008, 09:01 AM
I hope it doesn't break while their driving it if you can move it with two fingers...

If I were them I'd stock hood it and get another hood... I understand they want a cool car to drive, But the damage the hood could cause if it breaks turns a cool looking car into a car that will never be the same

bobtsgt
06-12-2008, 09:31 AM
safety would be running through my mind if its that thin. Nothing like enjoying a nice 70mph drive then the hood falls apart on you.

INSANEBA
06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
That's exactly what I'm thinking. My buddy keeps saying that since we fixed and painted the whole car the first time, that it could just be considered a practice run if something happens. My problem is that he bought it on my word that they make good sh!t, but this time they made me look like an ass. I think from now on, I'm only reccomending Cervinis, H.O. Fibertrends and Harwoods. Everyone knows they are good, and all the local stang guys trust my opinion on this kind of thing, I cant ruin my rep by backing SHADY companies...

cstreu1026
06-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Did you happen to call Champion and explain the issues?

bobtsgt
06-12-2008, 11:06 AM
H.O makes some nice hoods. The quality is top notch. Cervinis and Harwoods are also very well made. Never had a Champion to compare too though. From what I have read on the net its kinda like a 50/50 thing.

INSANEBA
06-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Did you happen to call Champion and explain the issues?

Yea, after we waited 4 days for them to make this one for us, they want us to wait another 5 days for another one. This car has to be done by tomorow for my friend and his new bride to leave town in, so we're gonna do something else... The only thing they kept telling me was " I've never heard anything like this about one of our hoods", and I told her " well you are now":cool2: lol, ofcourse she didnt see the humor in it.... I almost felt like I was talking to Cinn. Comp again:rolleyes:

IEATLT1
06-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Personally I don't care... I have had a hood fly up and damage my car and almost hit another car while slowing down and trying to get pulled over... Some will never understand until something happens..

I'm married and I would not take my wife even after being married 4 years :P in a car that I thought had something with the potenial to cause me to wreck.

IEATLT1
06-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Some are saying they are and some say not

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273968&page=10

If i read correctly bout this champion fiberglass is the same as CC and cad.

then add my name to the list of people who got Phucked. Bought my hood maybe a year and a half ago. Mine hood was thin also.

I orderd the 3" cowl hood for my 86 capri. Took it upto a buddies in wisconsin.
Man what a crap pile. It was warped like they took it out of the mold too soon. fit fine as long as you didnt hook up the hinges. We got one side to fit and could only use one bolt to hold the hood on the passenger side. that not even the half of it. We also had to bend the hood hinges to get the hood to line-up and ELONGATE the hinges mounting holes. THEN to get teh front latch to work. we had to modify the front latch area. move it out bout 1.5" using washers. I never painted mine though. But to TOP things off. Guess what My hood FLEW off also. I had been having a problem with the threaded inserts that are in the hood(didnt know it at the time) kept coming loose. I tightend all of the up again. The passenger side since it only had one bolt. cmae loose allowed the hood to shift forward and POOOOF it was off and flying. I had two lanes of traffic behind me bout 50 yards back. Look through my sunroof and seen it fly bout 20-30 feet in the air and land cowl side up on the side of the road. The was damaged ofcourse. the two halves of the hood were almost seperated. If anyone needs this down on paper i myself for legal action let me know. My friend also can write something down. He is more than qualified since his shop builds custom cars and trucks. he makes his own hoods so i know he knows what he is doing.

INSANEBA
06-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Personally I don't care... I have had a hood fly up and damage my car and almost hit another car while slowing down and trying to get pulled over... Some will never understand until something happens..

I'm married and I would not take my wife even after being married 4 years :P in a car that I thought had something with the potenial to cause me to wreck.

I know what you mean lol, this couple has been together since high school lol, so he's in the same boat as you. I know one thing for sure, I'll never buy or reccomend another hood of theirs again period...:mad:

BIGHONKEY
06-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Boss Inc. They are now making hoods for 05+. They are in Mainville basicly on 22&3. Guy was nice price was $299 and every paint guy says it's the nicest hood they have ever seen and think I'm lying when I tell them what it cost. They also make the hoods for the roush race car or some shit. Fully finnished underside was a plus for me.

INSANEBA
06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Boss Inc. They are now making hoods for 05+. They are in Mainville basicly on 22&3. Guy was nice price was $299 and every paint guy says it's the nicest hood they have ever seen and think I'm lying when I tell them what it cost. They also make the hoods for the roush race car or some shit. Fully finnished underside was a plus for me.

I just heard of them this week. I havent heard any bad either. I'm gonna check them out on my 06. Thanks for all the input guys and gals, I'll post some pics of the car this weekend so you can see exactly why I'm soooo hacked off over this. It's far too nice of a ride to half @ss it...I know you all can understand that...

mustang3091
06-14-2008, 10:41 AM
The guy who started champion fiberglass worked for Cincy composite when they first started up and is the same crap that you get from cincy i have a Boss Inc hood for my fox and it is very nice for 299 you can not go wrong and it is very straight and nice edges with finished underside

firestang70
06-15-2008, 07:36 AM
I have a Boss hood on my 06 aka Steeda race cowl. Love the hood.

95turbocharged
06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I have a 4'' cowl hood from champion but it for a 95 GT but, I had a hood pin issue and the hood flew off the car after smashing the windshield scratching the roof and rear window and the trunk but I have to say that the hood itself was very very strong it ripped the hoodhinges out of the body and had minor damage to the hood and its still on the car now.

INSANEBA
06-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I will be posting pics of it as soon as I get them ready, but another board member just looked at the car about an hour ago and said he would be mad too. I know I will never reccomend them again, I am deffinitely checking out this Boss Inc. Sounds like they are the way to go. It just kills me that companies like this one and Cinn. Comp. can stay in business with so many competitors in the same state are making far more superior products for about the same price. Boss Inc., H.O.Fibertrends, and more....It's gotta catch up to them someday......

k062693w
06-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I saw this hood today!!! And what a POS, I think the paint on thehood is thicker then the fiberglass it is made of.. Honestly I'd bet money a gallon of milk setting on it would break it.. I would be sooo pissed if that s the product they sent me..
Good Luck getting them to make it right Brandon..
Give me a ring when you get the new phone LOL

NITRYDER
06-24-2008, 10:26 PM
BOSS INC IS THE BEST, I BOUGHT A CHAMPION HOOD AND IT WAS GARBAGE!!!

Blackballed
06-24-2008, 11:22 PM
I agree BOSS INC. makes some damn good products. :bigthumb

Timido
06-29-2008, 07:00 PM
I know Boss makes nice hoods. Check out HO-Fibertrends They make and sell very nice hoods. http://hofibertrends.com/ Dave is a member here talk to him about his hoods. He has allways taken care of Stangbangerz.

fastlad1990
06-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I have had a Champion hood on my car for over 4 years with no issues!

BlazinEagle
06-30-2008, 09:19 PM
I know Boss makes nice hoods. Check out HO-Fibertrends They make and sell very nice hoods. http://hofibertrends.com/ Dave is a member here talk to him about his hoods. He has allways taken care of Stangbangerz.
What is Dave's Screenname? I want to talk to him about hoods for my 06.

INSANEBA
07-01-2008, 08:14 AM
I have had a Champion hood on my car for over 4 years with no issues!

Lemme guess though, foxbody???:rolleyes:

AZZKIKR
07-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I bought 2 hoods from Cinn. Comp. back a few years ago when my wife and I were at a fun ford meet at N.E.D. This might be my own stupidity but I paid the guy cash for one of them,thinking that I might ditch the stock hood that we had on our car we were driving and put it on,and drive back to Canada.We decided against that cause we could not find a good place to put the old hood.So,when I got back home I called the guy and ordered another hood for my 83 coupe and paid that one by visa.He said that he would ship the 2 hoods together in 1 box.When I recieved the parcel there was only one hood.I called him and he said that he didn't recall me paying for the first hood cash at Fun Ford.So I told the SOB that I would be at various FF meets and someday I would catch up with him.Just before the next FF meet in N.E.D. a year later,I called him and reminded him to make sure he brought me my hood...he still didn't recall.I told him he better not show at the FF meet or the fur was going to fly. He did not show that year.The next year same deal,but I didn't call him.At the meet walking around looking at the vendors stuff forsale,who pulls in but that guy but going under champion name.I waited awhile till there was alot of people around looking at their junk and I went over and confronted the guy about the hood.Needless to say I did get my hood.....Need I say more.

INSANEBA
07-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Ya know it's people like that that give small business a bad name. Sorry you had to deal with that, but glad you got it resolved. I have a Harwood hood on my coupe, and will NEVER buy from them again. There are too many hood makers right here in the great state of OHIO to have to only buy from him...

Timido
07-05-2008, 11:22 AM
http://stangbangerz.com/forums/member.php?u=766 Dave 308 is his screen name. If you cant contact him with a PM call him at the shop 1(740)983-3864. They have a cool looking Tear Drop hood for the 05up cars http://hofibertrends.com/photogal/tafx1.jpg

BlazinEagle
07-05-2008, 11:11 PM
that is the one I was going to inquire about.

BIGHONKEY
07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Ew............Anyway I haven't seen a nicer hood than my Boss Inc. and the fully finnished underside is a big plus in book since I like to show my whips.

INSANEBA
07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, here's the car we built, and also the reason why I am not truely happy. It's doing ok, but the fact of the matter is still there...

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/INSANEBA/elanore4Pix1.jpg