PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Wright Pat?

DeckerEnt
06-13-2008, 11:48 PM
I will be taking the family to Wright Patterson Air Force Base Museum tomorrow. Anything I shouldn't miss? I am going up for the day. Free admission is good since I spent way too much money at Kings Island today.
Keith

k062693w
06-13-2008, 11:54 PM
I't s really cool!!! I take my son 5-6 times a year. It is really easy to miss things!!! Just be sure and take your time in each room, And try not get sucked to one spot by something you really want to see..
I will say even as much as I go, I always see something that I missed the time before..
And be prepared ( I don't know if you have kids or how old) But entrance/exit is the gift shop, So technically it's not free.. because you'll get sucked in to buy something.. LOL

DeckerEnt
06-14-2008, 12:07 AM
The gift shop is a must. My kids are 5 and 10. I will be bringing my brother's little boy who is 4 with me to keep my 5 year old little boy occupied. LOL
Keith

ADaughen
06-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Lots of cool stuff there. I haven't been in the last year, though.

IMAX is cool. They usually have two or three shows running.
http://www.imax.com/ImaxWeb/theatresResults.do?zipCode=45424
FIGHTER PILOT: OPERATION RED FLAG 11am, 2pm, 4pm
STRAIGHT UP: HELICOPTERS IN ACTION 12am,3pm
THE MAGIC OF FLIGHT 1pm

Get to the Annex if your kids still have energy to burn.

You might get to see some planes in the middle of restoration over there. ;)

They also have a decent amount of outside planes on the other side of the entrance. If it isn't too hot out, there is a lot of history to soak in there.

DeckerEnt
06-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Had fun today at WP. Too much to see in one day. Need to go up again.
Keith

Rabnud
06-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Heh, I work there on the C-5's and I still havent really been to the museum :p

Katmandu
06-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Had fun today at WP. Too much to see in one day. Need to go up again.
KeithHey Keith, Glad you enjoyed your trip to the AF Museum. :bigthumb

I worked at the base from 86-2000. Been to the museum many times. You'll never see everything no matter how many times you go! That's what's great about it! Real national treasure! :bigthumb

Stangbangerz used to have an Annual Cruise and Tour to the Museum. They stopped a year or so ago. No sure why. :confused: Maybe someone will chime and let us know.

93Snakebite
06-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I haven't been in since 87 or so. I'm sure it's changed over the years. Great memories though of the place. My grandfather flew p40/p47s over China in WWII and I got to see it with him before he passed. It was a big deal for him to go. I should make a point to get back up there.

Katmandu
06-15-2008, 03:00 PM
I haven't been in since 87 or so. I'm sure it's changed over the years. Great memories though of the place. My grandfather flew p40/p47s over China in WWII and I got to see it with him before he passed. It was a big deal for him to go. I should make a point to get back up there.It's changed a TON since 87!!

VERY good point about bringing older Vets to the Museum!! If you have an old Vet in the family or have an old Vet as a friend, it's is a REAL treat for them to see this place! It'll mean more to them than you can imagine.

My wife's uncle was going blind (from diabetes) and I took him to see ALL the IMAX films. He got to "see" and experience them before he went totally blind a few months later. It was really something for us.

99Slobra
06-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I went right after I moved here. I was told I had to go.

I'll go back one day soon again. Had a blast. Only thing that sucked was dragging around the worthless ex the entire day.

Holly
06-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Stangbangerz used to have an Annual Cruise and Tour to the Museum. They stopped a year or so ago. No sure why. :confused: Maybe someone will chime and let us know.

That was Craig's (Maximus) thing, the "Great American Cruise". He organized it a few years in a row. It was always a good time. I remember going up there one year and it was snowing! Vinny and I pulled over off the exit and he videotaped everybody coming by.

DeckerEnt
06-15-2008, 10:31 PM
It was a very moving experiance. I don't think my wife or my kids even felt it but it was for me. There is a hall of heros. That almost brought me to tears. I have to bring my kids up again without the wife so we can spend the time needed to take it all in. I bet we didn't see half of what was there.
Keith

Katmandu
06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
That was Craig's (Maximus) thing, the "Great American Cruise". He organized it a few years in a row. It was always a good time. I remember going up there one year and it was snowing! Vinny and I pulled over off the exit and he videotaped everybody coming by.I remember that. It always had a great turn out.

Why was it not continued ?

bestracing
06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
I remember that. It always had a great turn out.

Why was it not continued ?

Because the last year it was held hardly anyone showed up and there was a lot of complaining (not by me) about going to the same place all the time. Can't blame him for not wanting to do it again and let a great time end on a good note rather it becoming a pale comapirision of what it once was.

myownr
06-16-2008, 11:43 PM
the 27th would be a great day to go. right after the museum closes, the air force is having their annual tattoo show where they have many flyovers, live band, games for the kids,and fireworks. I have been the last several years and it is a really good time for the whole family. admission to the tattoo is free as well. just be sure to be early to get a decent parking spot as it is in the field behind the museum (closer to the far end of the parking lot)