PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the NKY area...

Waffles
06-16-2008, 10:05 PM
... wanna come help me get my car back together?

I'm just beat. It wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't my daily. Clutch freshly installed but the tranny is still out. Passenger side longtube needs to be installed, new springs and bolt up the k-member, etc.

95turbocharged
06-16-2008, 10:28 PM
when you want to do it?

Waffles
06-17-2008, 12:22 AM
lol... I've been doing it every night... I'll be doing it until I get it done...

I think I just bit off more than I could chew for as much experience as I have. I did the IMRC deletes too. Longtubes and H-pipe are part of this project, and the clutch needed to be swapped out too. I guess I have to admit I'm just overwhelmed and need a hand. I've had no help so far.

PonymanfiveO
06-17-2008, 08:00 AM
longtubes....yikes.

good luck.

Waffles
06-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah, tell me about it. lol I've been ready to give up since I started...

KobraII
06-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Good luck putting it all back together. Me and my dad are going to have a good ol' time getting my Cobra back together

Waffles
06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks, I'll think I'll end up needing the luck AND the help.

So, one more thing I effed up. The car previously had a flywheel from an 03 Cobra on it. That flywheel requires an 11" clutch. I went with the Fidanza flywheel which accepts either size clutch, so I went back to a 10.5"

Well, the bolts are different for the 11" and the 10.5" which means the bolts I took out of the old clutch won't work in the new. I went to autozone and the dude walked them over to the guage and came back and said, "They're M8x1.0 but we don't have any. So I got them somewhere else.

Well, an M8x1.0 bolt will thread about 3/8" into a M8x1.25 hole until the threads bind. And then, if you're threading a hardened steel bolt into aluminum with an air ratchet you don't even really realize it's binding at all. So it wasn't until I tried to torque them down that they were just spinning.

I called Fidanza... wow! Those people rock! They paged some engineer off the floor to take my call. I didn't even buy the flywheel new and told him that, but he just offered to take care of it for free. He offered several options, tapping it for a different thread, or using Helicoils to get the same thread back (he said they actually increase the strength by 30%). I decided to save the time and Helicoil it myself, but damn... he was all about taking care of business. You gotta like that.

Waffles
06-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Been busy this weekend. I did the Helicoils and it worked very well. I've never seen them before, but evidently they've been around for a while. I got the flywheel bolted onto the crank. Got the clutch bolted to the flywheel. God the Transmission bolted back up. Got the other longtube on.

I'd like to put the K-member back up but it's kinda a two man job. Anyone?

mustangjon
06-22-2008, 08:31 PM
i could help wed afternoon/morning but thats only time available for me

Waffles
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I appreciate the offer but I'll probably have to work. I usually only have evenings. I did actually get the K-member on last night though! Instead of jacking it up in the middle and balancing it, I jacked it up on one side, then blocked the other. Then jacked it up some more, and blocked it up higher. Eventually I got some bolts in it and let the engine down onto the mounts. Tough part out of the way, but would still love to have some help if anyone has the time.

Waffles
06-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Well, last night Nick Skaats came out and we got most of the car back together. Then a few other friends came out and at least kept me company while I worked. Got it all back together (less the exhaust) at about 2:30am. Yeah, my neighbors hate me now. It was only started for about 10 seconds, and I had 3 people yelling lol. So anyway, I actually drove it today to get the H-pipe and exhaust welded up. Working pretty well so far. :)

KobraII
06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Sounds like it all came together. Hope to see it out there soon!