PDA

View Full Version : Problem with shifter hitting the floor pan, need help

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-20-2008, 01:05 PM
I just finished doing my head/cam swap, and now the engine is torquing over so hard that it's causing the shifter to hit the floor pan. Before, it was already close and i really don't know why, but now it's twisting enough to hit, and hit bad. I've already got new engine mounts (vert mounts) and poly cross member bushings and a new trans mount...i don't know what else to do.

It seems to me like the trans is rolled over towards the passenger side but i don't know how to correct it. Anyone got any ideas (aside from solid engine mounts etc)?

Stangman
06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
I would say if you've ever taken your motor and trans out before and put it back in, it may have not settled correctly before you tightened the bolts, causing the engine/trans to be slightly cocked to one side, I've seen that a few times.

I know there is a rule of thumb when trying to fix that but I cant remember exactly how it goes... Something like lift the engine with mounts attached and let it back down, and have the trans loose, but I know there are some peeps on here that had to have done this before... I know I've helped my neighbor Steve before with his motor being shifted to one side.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah i just talked to a guy and he mentioned that, i'm betting it's the engine sitting cocked to the side. I"ll have to unbolt it and move it around and see if that helps.

Stangman
06-20-2008, 11:52 PM
if not... "massage" the tunnel :bigthumb

:lol: I'm kidding