PDA

View Full Version : Transmission leak

A05C
07-04-2008, 07:10 PM
me and a few friends recently helped to swap my 4cyl car with a mild 302 as in my build list in the other part of the forum.

the car has a C4 trans it in and im getting ATF on my leg and floor after a few miles of driving.

theres no noticeable leak, there's no fluid on the ground, no fluid on the trans tunnel, no where.

i can visually watch it drip after a few miles and have to add fluid as necessary.

this leads me to think that theres fluid coming up the mechanical speedo cable. i dont know if this is even possible.

we've been unable to find any other possible causes of a leak.

so if anyone has any ideas please help, i dont want to burn up a trans b/c of sometihng minor or somethign that could have been avoided.

mustang8998
07-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Hmm, I wouldn't think it could travel up the speedo cable, but I'm not sure.

How is your vacuum line run to the trans? I know........normally it's run from the engine bay directly to the modulator, but maybe someone did some tricky plumbing and has the vacuum line inside the car.

chad393na
07-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Yes i've seen it travel up the speedo cable. Try replacing the o-ring in the vss (where the cable goes in), but you may have to replace the cable.

A05C
07-07-2008, 05:20 AM
i bought a cable the other day, if it dosent work on fixing the problem, im only out $12.24.

i'll try and get it in the car this weekend