PDA

View Full Version : what does coolant on a spark plug look like

myownr
07-06-2008, 11:51 PM
some have told me that if i had coolant leaking into the cylinder, the plug would look clean where others say it would not. On my windstar i have one spark plug that always looks different. within 5k miles i usually have to replace plug due to deposits on the plug. I have checked the manuals to try and compare pics, but the only thing close is a fuel issues causing the ash deposits.

facemelter71
07-07-2008, 01:43 PM
What year windstar??.....And does it have the black upper intake on it?

myownr
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
99 and yes it does have the plastic intake

facemelter71
07-08-2008, 01:02 PM
When i worked for ford i replaced alot of the lower intake bolts on the inside of the lower plenum.They have like .5" rubber below the head of the bolts to help seal it from air.Those get shrunk up and it create's a leak.Is it running rough,or weird?Check all the vacuum lines and go from there.

myownr
07-08-2008, 03:41 PM
somewhere i am losing coolant as well, not a lot say maybe quart over 6 months. it usually runs rough then replace plugs and it seems to run better. just guessing whether intake is causing leak or head gasket.

facemelter71
07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
If your losing coolant and you have fouled plugs,nine times out of ten its a head gasket.You can check the coolant with one of those liquid testers to see if there are hydrocarbons in the coolant.That might narrow it down for you.

kaik1969
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
When i worked for ford i replaced alot of the lower intake bolts on the inside of the lower plenum.They have like .5" rubber below the head of the bolts to help seal it from air.Those get shrunk up and it create's a leak.Is it running rough,or weird?Check all the vacuum lines and go from there.

I think I am having the same problem with my 99 Winstar. Colerain Ford told me that the intake is cracked. They quoted me $1900 to fix. Needless to say I declined but if it is just the gasket, how much do you think that would cost to fix.

facemelter71
07-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Its not really just a gasket.The bolts have seals made onto them to seal them from the air in the intake.You have to remove the upper intake,remove all the bolts holding the lower half down,remove the lower half,clean the flange and replace all the bolts with the upgraded bolts from ford.Be carefull not to break them.Its pretty easy to do,just time consuming.

kaik1969
07-09-2008, 11:59 AM
O.k. In your opion is it bad to drive it the way it is. It doesn't leak coolant but when it starts up it idles o.k Then after a 3 minutes it idles rough until I give it a little gas then it smoothes out. Yes the check engine light is on.

facemelter71
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Its ok to drive if you can deal with the idle and CEL.The light is on probly for either the MAF for unmetered air or its an O2 code from the unmetered air.But either way i would have the code read and see what it says.Also check all vacuum lines to and from the black upper intake.I know there is a couple of hard ones to find on the back side of the intake,about midway back from the throttle body on the bulkhead side.Just do a random check.other than that its most likely those bolts inside the intake.

kaik1969
07-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. :bigthumb

facemelter71
07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
No problem.Also when it starts to idle like poo,grab a small wrench and tap the Idle air control valve located on the side of the throttle body and see if it clears up.