PDA

View Full Version : why won't my cobra start!!!

superslors
07-12-2008, 11:11 AM
1995 cobra 5.0L
took it around the corner to beechmont ford the other day for its 51k mile service everything was fine took it home parked it. I got in it the next day and it wouldn't start.....I got out my OTC scan tool and it flashed a code 542 at me, I thought maybe I could clear the code and it would start, but no such luck, I did a fuel pump test with the scan tool and could hear the fuel pump working. anybody got any idea's....I am not really all that familiar with this car yet.

facemelter71
07-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Ok.Will it crank?
Fuel pump is working.Can you check fuel pressure at the schrader valve by the alternator?.............Check spark?And what is the definition of that code?

superslors
07-12-2008, 11:34 AM
yes it will crank, I have no clue how to check the pressure, and the book said something like problem in the fuel pump circut, or something to that effect

facemelter71
07-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Ok,there is a valve on the fuel line going to the rails.This line runs up behind the alternator,there is a small schrader valve on that line,it probly has a little black screw-on cap on it.If you pop that off and turn the key to on,listen for the pump to stop priming and use a small screwdriver and push the schrader down and see if you have fuel squirting out (redneck way).If there is,it is most likely a spark issue.Do you know how to check for spark?....And do you have any extra parts??........Distrbutor,coil,ignition module?

superslors
07-12-2008, 11:52 AM
yeah I know how to check for spark, I just got hung up because the otc scan tool pointed me twards the fuel system.

fordman
07-12-2008, 12:54 PM
forget th otc tool just be simple and spray some starter fluid into the intake the fuel pump my always come on at first but could kick back off unless u hear it constant just check it the good old way...Good Luck:bigthumb