PDA

View Full Version : light tint?

zlou363lx
07-13-2008, 09:28 PM
has anyone tinted the headlights or tails on their cars? if so, how did you do it? i want to do it to my car, but i'm not sure how to go about doing it. paint or real tint?

blueoval4ever
07-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I recently did some GTO headlights and taillights with an overlay similar to the clearshield you can get for front ends. It went on pretty easy and looked good. Not sure about longevity though since this is the only one I have ever done.
http://headlightarmor.com/index.asp

rpppaprp
07-13-2008, 10:45 PM
I have used a product called Nite Shades with very good results. The only place i can find it is Jegs.

zlou363lx
07-14-2008, 01:01 AM
I have used a product called Nite Shades with very good results. The only place i can find it is Jegs.

summit also has that. do you think that it would work well if i sprayed the inside of the lenses instead of the outside? that way the outside would still look clean...maybe

Metcalf Racing
07-14-2008, 06:35 AM
I can tint them with car paint

IWRBB
07-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I've used the 3M tinted film as mentioned above, it's a pain to get all the air bubbles out. Looks great from anything over a foot away though. If you want it perfect, the film is not for you. I've seen Nightshades, seems pretty good. Depends on how good you are at spray painting things. The best I've seen was done on my friend's Vette, some high dollar tint sprayed through a paint gun. It looks perfect, and was sprayed on the outside of the lens.

PONYGRL
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey I just got mine done 2 weeks ago. I could send you some pics if you'd like.... My brother did them for me and they turned out 110% awesome!! I bought 2 cans of VHT Nightshades, as mentioned above. You just spray on a few coats, then sand some off, until you get the desired darkness. Afterwards, apply a few coats of clearcoat and you are good to go. Mine look like they were factory-done they turned out so good.

I used about a can and a half to do mine.... with shipping it was just over $30 I believe at summitracing.com. I checked different auto parts stores and pepboys and nowhere else had it. Good luck!

blueoval4ever
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I've used the 3M tinted film as mentioned above, it's a pain to get all the air bubbles out. Looks great from anything over a foot away though. If you want it perfect, the film is not for you. I've seen Nightshades, seems pretty good. Depends on how good you are at spray painting things. The best I've seen was done on my friend's Vette, some high dollar tint sprayed through a paint gun. It looks perfect, and was sprayed on the outside of the lens.

I do the Clearshield film for a living so I have a little bit of practice. I thought the headlight overlays went on very easy and looked good. No bubble problems here. I do agree though, if you are doing this yourself you may not want to try the tinted film.

IWRBB
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
It still looks very good, and I'm sure it could have been applied better, but I don't think it'll ever look as good as the paint type when you are right up close to it.

5.0calypso93lx
07-14-2008, 04:35 PM
I did the tails on my old del sol. I went to a local hobby store where they sell R/C car stuff, and they have an R/C car body paint that is called window tint. Turned out great. Just have to apply lots of very light coats to make it look nice.