PDA

View Full Version : Unable isolate the rattle in your 05-08 S197?

redfirepearlgt
07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks to a recent post and the good people at Beechmont Ford, my search for a phantom heat shield sounding rattle has been isolated and resolved.

Prior to taking to dealer, all heat shields were removed. All muffler hangers were pulled, cleaned and remounted. Mufflers (stock) were removed and car driven. Noise only in gear and moving between 2000-3000 RPM. Neutral no rattle. Found internet post regarding problem and resolve. Took to dealer (warranty).

Symptom:

Heat shield like rattle that only occurs with the car in gear and moving. Most audible in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd between 2000-3000 RPM.s with moderate acceleration. Rattle is never heard in netral with car sitting still whether clutch is engaged or not.

Resolve:

The separator plate mounted between the transmission bell housing and the engine block is coming into contact with the crank shaft. Drop tranny, pull fly wheel. clean up the scoring created on the crank shaft. Modify the seperator plate for proper clearance gap between plate and bottom of crank shaft.

My car is not the first to experience this problem and there is a TSB on this. TSB08-03-04. While it addresses the problem with automatics, and my 05 is a 5 speed manual, it is ammo for ID on the same problem happening on the 5 speed manual. Part number of the separator plate: F6ZZ-7007_EA. Speak with Kevin or Brent at Beechmont Ford about this. Ford covered this under warranty. It is NOT a recall TSB, only an advisory. You may get a portion of it covered but that depends on how you present your issue and the state (condition) of your vehicle.

Good luck. I was under my car 6 times before searching the internet and stumbling on a link that a guy had posted having teh very same problem and the fix his dealership performed to resolve the problem. Lot's of similar ratttle issues posted.

Chad
05 GT
redfirepearl/charcoal metallic stripes
stock for now