PDA

View Full Version : I'm really insecure about my wieght...

Mike
07-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Ha, now that I got everyones attention...

I'm sorta let down by how much my car wieghs. Has anybody else wieghed a terminator, or any other Mustang, simply for reference?

My car is an 04 Cobra. Wieght reduction mods are;

-15lb battery
-Tubular K-member
-Aluminator longblock (saves 70lbs)
-No spare tire
-No floor mats
-1/4 tank of gas

Like that, my car wieghed 3520lbs tonight. I was hoping to get deep into the 3400's, but that apparently is a ways away.

IF I keep the car, I'd like to get a decent set of racing seats, a lighter rear seat delete, and install it, and a solid rear. A Terminator on a SERIOUS diet would be an extremely tough street car. Even with the small amount of stuff I've done, I can tell a big difference with traction, braking, handeling, everything. I can't even imagine what a free hundred more pounds would feel like. I'm hungry to do more.

cstreu1026
07-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Those wheels and tires weigh a ton. You could always yank the carpet out and scrape all the sound deadening out, thats worth a few pounds. Light weight brakes wouldn't be a bad idea either. How about a carbon fiber or fiberglass hood? Did you do the tubular a arms and coilovers as well as the k member?

mach_u
07-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Lighter seats + light rear seat delete would be my first call. You could do something like these for the front seats: http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/755323/10002/-1/10509. Definitely not the lightest seats but you wouldn't have to sacrifice all your comfort either and you would for sure save some weight. Obviously getting rid of the whole IRS setup would save you some weight.

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Those seats are such a good value. They recline and move back and forth.

99Slobra
07-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Those wheels and tires weigh a ton. You could always yank the carpet out and scrape all the sound deadening out, thats worth a few pounds. Light weight brakes wouldn't be a bad idea either. How about a carbon fiber or fiberglass hood? Did you do the tubular a arms and coilovers as well as the k member?

Not much sound deadening in a mustang..lol.

Ditch those heavy chrome 03's to me. A hood will help. The IRS is heavy but its less unsprung weight than a solid axle.

RyanR
07-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Lighter seats + light rear seat delete would be my first call. You could do something like these for the front seats: http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/755323/10002/-1/10509. Definitely not the lightest seats but you wouldn't have to sacrifice all your comfort either and you would for sure save some weight. Obviously getting rid of the whole IRS setup would save you some weight.

You need these http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KIR%2D16800&N=700+115&autoview=sku

mach_u
07-23-2008, 11:09 AM
You need these http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KIR%2D16800&N=700+115&autoview=sku
I couldn't imagine going from super comfy Cobra or Mach 1 seats to those. There is no way you could convince me that the weight savings would be worth giving up on the #1 driver comfort!

RyanR
07-23-2008, 11:11 AM
There not bad at all.

Mike
07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
See, my issue. The entire reason I bought an '04 Cobra over an '03, were baller ass seats. I understand they wiegh like 100lbs, but it would just kill me to get rid of them.

I think the next thing is the IRS needs to take a walk!

IWRBB
07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I took out the jack and spare, put in a lightweight battery, installed lightweight front seats and a rear seat delete, and installed a set of BBS RKs. I also yanked the child saftey bar from under the rear seat. But I've also added a bigger supercharger, radiator, heat exchanger and IC pump, and Dynamatted the whole inside of the car. I'm still over a hundred pounds down from stock though.

I've weighed everything that has gone in and out of the car. Here's a link to the weights of various items sitting on a digital scale http://reckless-op.com/media/thumbnails.php?album=7

And uh, what's different between the 03 and 04 seats besides the color of the isnerts? I don't even like the darker color insert, it just looks dirty.

Mike
07-23-2008, 11:23 AM
I think the '03 seats look like shit. Just personal preference I guess. Plus I like having one of 3000, not one of 16000 ;-)

Have you ever wieghed your entire car?

JIMS SVT
07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
I couldn't imagine going from super comfy Cobra or Mach 1 seats to those. There is no way you could convince me that the weight savings would be worth giving up on the #1 driver comfort!
These seats with
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KIR%2D41700&N=700+400266+115&autoview=sku

These seat covers...http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=KIR-41711

Way more comfortable thyan a gay stock seat...I love my seats.

IWRBB
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Odd huh? I think the 04 seats look like shit. Opinions are like assholes I guess. I would have got an '04 for the lower production numbers too, but I bought my '03 new in back in Nov '02, so, yea... that wasn't really an option :)

I've never seen any place I can get the car weighed, so no it hasn't been weighed. The scales at both tracks look closed and completely abandoned every time I'm there. But, I know what it weighs stock, and I can do math, so I can tell you what it weighs now. I have the weights in a spreadsheet at home, with all the gains and all the losses. I'm down about 150 lbs IIRC. It was well over 200 lbs before the dynamat.

One more thing you can remove is the front sway bar, it's pretty heavy. I've had mine off for drag racing, but it's back on now.

cstreu1026
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Kirkey seats FTW! As soon as I figure out what I am going to do about brackets I will picking up a set for my car.

IWRBB
07-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Way more comfortable thyan a gay stock seat...I love my seats.

Maybe moreso than the "gay" 98 seats, but the 03/04 seats are awesome. They only reason I had another set of seats to put in my 03 was because I took them from my 94 Cobra before I sold it and put the stockers back in, those stock seats in the 94 SUCKED!!

Black Horse
07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
And about the time you trim 200 lbs. out, you'll add in another 500 lbs. of roll cage. Its a never ending saga.

quik lx
07-23-2008, 11:55 AM
just pull the drivetrain out...burn the chassis....then drop it in a fox coupe...instant 800 LBS saved...plus it will look cooler:flipoff:

mach_u
07-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Maybe moreso than the "gay" 98 seats, but the 03/04 seats are awesome. They only reason I had another set of seats to put in my 03 was because I took them from my 94 Cobra before I sold it and put the stockers back in, those stock seats in the 94 SUCKED!!
Beat me to it! :lol: It's all about personal preference I guess. ;)

Mike
07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Odd huh? I think the 04 seats look like shit. Opinions are like assholes I guess. I would have got an '04 for the lower production numbers too, but I bought my '03 new in back in Nov '02, so, yea... that wasn't really an option :)

I've never seen any place I can get the car weighed, so no it hasn't been weighed. The scales at both tracks look closed and completely abandoned every time I'm there. But, I know what it weighs stock, and I can do math, so I can tell you what it weighs now. I have the weights in a spreadsheet at home, with all the gains and all the losses. I'm down about 150 lbs IIRC. It was well over 200 lbs before the dynamat.

One more thing you can remove is the front sway bar, it's pretty heavy. I've had mine off for drag racing, but it's back on now.

If you want, a friend of mine owns a recycling place off of round bottom road. It's like 30 seconds from Quaker Stake and Lube. It's alot nicer scale than you'll find at the track too. No gate, and the scale stays on 24/7.

I'd be really curious as to how much your car wieghs. I know I did the math with stock wieght, and subtracted all my wieght savings, and I was 70lbs off :-( What do you expect yours to wiegh?

Mike
07-23-2008, 01:38 PM
just pull the drivetrain out...burn the chassis....then drop it in a fox coupe...instant 800 LBS saved...plus it will look cooler:flipoff:

Hmmm, yeah. I'll put that on my list of things to do that are stupid, and make me look like more of a redneck :lol:

JIMS SVT
07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Beat me to it! :lol: It's all about personal preference I guess. ;)

Dont matter what stock seats you have...these kirkys are way better all around.

Maximus
07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Hmmm, yeah. I'll put that on my list of things to do that are stupid, and make me look like more of a redneck :lol:

I will straight kick you in the JUNK! :lol:

These wheels,

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL86/503042/13380102/324712605.jpg

stockish 04 Cobra drivetrain, in my Coupe...you will be first on my list big guy of callouts. :cool1::bigthumb

quik lx
07-23-2008, 03:22 PM

I didn't think that was possible.......the orange car with the blue motor kinda does that for ya ....:rolleyes:

Mike
07-23-2008, 03:47 PM
I didn't think that was possible.......the orange car with the blue motor kinda does that for ya ....:rolleyes:

Kinda like a $5000 motor in a $2000 car? You could hang out with the homies downtown with $3000 wheels on $200 cars. :lol:

Mike
07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I will straight kick you in the JUNK! :lol:

These wheels,

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL86/503042/13380102/324712605.jpg

stockish 04 Cobra drivetrain, in my Coupe...you will be first on my list big guy of callouts. :cool1::bigthumb

Better hurry up, this car will be gone soon! :cool2:

JIMS SVT
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM

WTF??:confused:

Maximus
07-23-2008, 05:06 PM

I heard, guy called the shop and Blake talked the car up to him...well he didnt have to talk it up at all, the car does that for itself.:bigthumb Said he was Definately gonna buy it. SO we will see.

cstreu1026
07-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Man just imagine, you could have a seriously fast car if you held on to one longer than 6 months.

boostanggt
07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah I was about to tell him it's a POS just so you still have the car when I get my motor back.

04 Venom
07-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I think the next thing is the IRS needs to take a walk!

Mike,

Do you want to drop the IRS and go to a SRA for use on the strip? If not, getting rid of the IRS will save weight, but you will pay a price in handling, ride quality and the weight bias to the front will increase. Not a consideration for straight line runs, but if you are dropping weight to make it handle better like your (lighter) 350Z, I say keep the IRS and reduce weight by other means. JMO.

99Slobra
07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
My IRS hooked better on the street than my SRA I swapped in for 2 weeks..

Mike
07-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Mike,

Do you want to drop the IRS and go to a SRA for use on the strip? If not, getting rid of the IRS will save weight, but you will pay a price in handling, ride quality and the weight bias to the front will increase. Not a consideration for straight line runs, but if you are dropping weight to make it handle better like your (lighter) 350Z, I say keep the IRS and reduce weight by other means. JMO.

Nah, handling is not even a concern with this car. As it sits, its dogshit in the corners. Ride quality? I can't imagine it any worse than it is right now LOL. IF I do hold onto the snake, I just want to make it 100% what it already is, a muscle car. It's bumpy, rides rough, the IRS is loud as shit, and it is simply what I always thought of as a muscle car to be. Cool to cruise around because of what it is, but not actually fun to drive.

I would like to go for a ride in a Mach 1, to see how bad the handling/ride is with the solid rear. AJ, take me for a ride! :cool1:

Rustanggt98
07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Let me and Brandon have your car for a weekend, we will get it to lose some weight :evilgrin: Mine weighs 2520 full of fluids and ready to rip (without me or the ballast in it) with the stock K-member, A-arms, coil springs, tailpipes, etc.....

mach_u
07-23-2008, 11:00 PM
I would like to go for a ride in a Mach 1, to see how bad the handling/ride is with the solid rear. AJ, take me for a ride! :cool1:
Sure thing. Sunday looks like it maybe clear?

Mike
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Sure thing. Sunday looks like it maybe clear?

Sounds good. I'll letcha take the Cobra out and have some fun, before its gone.

Walter
07-24-2008, 12:44 AM
If you want, a friend of mine owns a recycling place off of round bottom road. It's like 30 seconds from Quaker Stake and Lube. It's alot nicer scale than you'll find at the track too. No gate, and the scale stays on 24/7.

I'd be really curious as to how much your car wieghs. I know I did the math with stock wieght, and subtracted all my wieght savings, and I was 70lbs off :-( What do you expect yours to wiegh?

Would you mind letting me know where that is?

quik lx
07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Kinda like a $5000 motor in a $2000 car? You could hang out with the homies downtown with $3000 wheels on $200 cars. :lol:

find me an supercharged mod motor for 5K so I can buy it...also find me a rust free low mileage coupe with a chassis under it for 2K so I can pick that up too.........well at least it isnt "Look at me Homie" Orange...awful close to yella:lol::lol::flipoff::lol::lol:

mach_u
07-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Sounds good. I'll letcha take the Cobra out and have some fun, before its gone.
:angel: :D PM me your cell and I'll shoot you a call Sunday.