PDA

View Full Version : network/internet gurus...help

Rich
07-23-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm having serious issues and need the help of some experts.

Monday night the home network worked perfectly, no problems. It consists of earthlink cable modem (Time Warner service), a linksys wrt54 wireless router and my wife and I both have laptops with internal wireless cards.

I shut my laptop off Monday night and went to bed. When I got up Tuesday, I was not able to connect to the internet through any of the computers. My laptop showed that it was connected to my wireless network and the signal was "excellent" but when I would try to get on, it would say something about "firefox can not find server at my.earthlink.net" It would basically say the same thing on any webpage I tried to go to.

If I disconnect the the router and plug the cable modem into my desktop, it will work. So I thought I had a bad router. I just went and picked up a new one and it is doing the exact same thing. If I run the cable from the modem to the router and then to the destop it does not connect.

I have tried 3 different cables and they all work. I have also disabled the firewall, thinking maybe it was blocking something.

Any clues?

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Before you do any thing else, literally right after your read this-

Go from the modem to the desktop with nothing in between then log on to SB and post if it works.

Rich
07-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Before you do any thing else, literally right after your read this-

Go from the modem to the desktop with nothing in between then log on to SB and post if it works.

Paul,

That is how I'm connected right now...with a network cable running from the modem into the back of my desktop, completely bypassing the wireless router.

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Ok,

Go plug your 54g in to the wall for power. Let it boot,

Then hold the reset button in for 15 seconds.

Try and go wired from the router to a pc.

Upate and advise when done.

Rich
07-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Paul,

It is working now...wow, I thought I reset it once before...maybe not.

All of my old network info is gone, so I'll have to set up a new one?

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Yes.

But what specifically do you mean? (Network Info)

Also, the next thing you need to do is browse to your router in IE. Usually you can do this by typing in 192.168.1.100

The next thing you need to do is change the password for the admin account. No need to create a new account, but its poignant to change the admin password.

Rich
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
My network name(SSID) was gone, it went back to the default "linksys" name. No biggie I got it changed back.

I'm doing the rest now...

Thanks for the help!

Rich
07-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Also, the next thing you need to do is browse to your router in IE. Usually you can do this by typing in 192.168.1.100

Does it have to be IE, because it will not take me there in firefox?

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 08:24 PM
If I understand the way you are asking that:

It does not have to be firefox BECAUSE IE wont get you there, I was simply suggesting using IE...I should have said your internet browser.

Now if you are saying that Firefox wont take you there...then we will have to troubleshoot that.

Rich
07-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Now if you are saying that Firefox wont take you there...then we will have to troubleshoot that.

Yep this one...

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Strange....

Can you nav to it in IE?

Timido
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Wow this is a side of Paul we are not used to. Heplfull and not abusive. Keep up the good work.

Now back to your regular scheduled programing.

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks that was necessary.

Rich where you at with it?

Mista Bone
07-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Paul, this reminds me of a certain South Park episode :)

Also why I didn't by a Linksys wrt54 and got a Belkin wireless G router.

Paul is a geeky nerd, good to have around sometimes :)

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Paul, this reminds me of a certain South Park episode :)

Also why I didn't by a Linksys wrt54 and got a Belkin wireless G router.

Paul is a geeky nerd, good to have around sometimes :)

http://greg.org/archive/warcraft_southpark.jpg

Mista Bone
07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Nope, wrong episode.

This one dealt with the Internet, and to get it back Kyle unplugged a certain blue and black router :)

episode 1206 - over logging :)

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh my...you know them a lil better than I do haha.

Mista Bone
07-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Not really, just happen to catch the end of it flipping thru the channels.

Searching also helps :)

DeckerEnt
07-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Well Good going Paul. You have earned value to the site. You ARE good for something.LOL Really, thanks for helping.
Keith

mach_u
07-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Yes.

But what specifically do you mean? (Network Info)

The next thing you need to do is change the password for the admin account. No need to create a new account, but its poignant to change the admin password.

Does it have to be IE, because it will not take me there in firefox?
That's because the default Gateway address(the address you need to type into IE/Firefox) is 192.168.1.1. 192.168.1.100 is usually the first IP address handed out via DHCP. :HYF:

Once you get in there, click on the "Wireless Tab" and the first two sub-tabs are the only ones you will need to worry about: "Basic Wireless Settings" - is where you will set up your wireless SSID name from Linksys to whatever you like. The next sub-tab is "Wireless Security" - unless you are planning on transfering super secret information or something lol, I would simply select WEP as encryption type and type in 10 characters as your WEP key on the first line or type in a phrase and let it auto generate one for you. :bigthumb

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 11:09 PM
^ He's right.

Maybe that was the difference in paying all that money to get MCSE certified compared to just paying for the test. Have your fish back. :HYF:

mach_u
07-23-2008, 11:17 PM
^ He's right.

Maybe that was the difference in paying all that money to get MCSE certified compared to just paying for the test. Have your fish back. :HYF:
No it's because I have 10yrs experience and know a few more things than you do... In case you've forgotten this is the second time I've bailed you out with troubleshooting in the last couple weeks. :tongue2: Careful, we may just have to have a nerd-off and see who gets schooled... :lol:

PaulFiveOh
07-23-2008, 11:17 PM
You sure 'no' alot.

Nice ninja.

Waffles
07-24-2008, 01:59 AM
A lot, two words. :)

And come on guys, you don't have to be an MCSE or 10 years experience to know 99.99% of all store bought routers default to 192.168.1.1 I think my mom even knows that. :lol:

PaulFiveOh
07-24-2008, 07:39 AM
HA! Self Pwnage!

lol "Sweet burn"