PDA

View Full Version : Teach me about pro shifted tranies

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-26-2008, 05:48 PM
I was reading about a pro shifted T5 that only cost like $600 to convert over and they were saying it was so much stronger...i know there's no syncronizers (right?) so shifting is pretty much a slam it in gear kind of thing (right?). Is it unrealistic to think you could drive one on the street? How hard are they to shift? Lastly, is there anything like this available for a Tremec 3550?

Timido
07-26-2008, 07:18 PM
hit the clutch throw it in gear. It will go in gear. I prefer the face plate shifted stuff from G-force and Liberty. The old Liberty pro-shift works but tears up the internals of the trans as it does. I drove my 88 on the street with both a g-force and Liberty proshifted t-5s It takes a few miles to get the hang of it. You kinda have to match the rpm when downshifting. That or floor the car with the clutch in and then slip it in gear. I guess it all depends on how much street driving and what you consider a street car is. They are loud and clunky also. LIberty can face plate a 3550

RSNovi
07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
The trans is not any stronger, it is just easier to shift at high rpms on a pro-shifted or face plated trans. Every time you shift a pro-shifted trans, you where a little off the splines. Over time, it will need to be rebuilt. A faceplated trans basically performs the same, but just won't wear out.

I had a problem with a pro-shifted trans popping out of third so you have to hold it. Never a problem with a face plated trans.

8banger
07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
hit the clutch throw it in gear. It will go in gear. I prefer the face plate shifted stuff from G-force and Liberty. The old Liberty pro-shift works but tears up the internals of the trans as it does. I drove my 88 on the street with both a g-force and Liberty proshifted t-5s It takes a few miles to get the hang of it. You kinda have to match the rpm when downshifting. That or floor the car with the clutch in and then slip it in gear. I guess it all depends on how much street driving and what you consider a street car is. They are loud and clunky also. LIberty can face plate a 3550

Exactly right...My TKOII is faceplated(bought from Todd86) and I've driven alittle on the street and to the track twice....clunky,but up in the rpm it's like butter...very hard to miss a shift(I haven't yet) and easily powershifted..
But I'm thinking of going to an auto for bracket racing..... :rolleyes: ...
p.s wanna buy my setup? lol