PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 nitrous motor ring gap causing smoke normal?

5.0calypso93lx
07-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Is it normal for a 4.6 motor, all forged bottom end, with nitrous ring gaps, to have some blue smoke if idling for a while? The guy has told me the engine doesn't burn any oil, but because of the nitrous specific ring gaps on the rings, that the car has a little bit of blue smoke if you let it sit there and idle for a while. The engine was built by CHP and has a probe forged rotating assembly setup for spray.

I've seen nitrous mod cars at the track plenty of times, and this doesn't sound like something normal to me.

Let me know what you guys think.

99Slobra
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Nah. I've had a nitrous motor before in my fox and it never did that.

CHP makes some good pushrod motors but I'm unsure of their mod capabilities.

5.0calypso93lx
07-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Nah. I've had a nitrous motor before in my fox and it never did that.

CHP makes some good pushrod motors but I'm unsure of their mod capabilities.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I had a guy contact me yesterday wanting to trade my 94', for this:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/car/767326359.html

I spoke with the guy for a good half hour yesterday, and he definitely seems like he knows what he's talking about, but when he brought up the whole smoking issue, that's when I got worried. I asked him to do a compression and leakdown test, so we'll see what he does. I guess if it looks to good to be true, it usually is.

cstreu1026
07-28-2008, 11:16 AM
it sounds to me like its been run hard. The ad says 75K on the engine which would be a lot of miles of abuse.

5.0calypso93lx
07-28-2008, 11:18 AM
it sounds to me like its been run hard. The ad says 75K on the engine which would be a lot of miles of abuse.

I asked him about that and he said it's a 75k mile block, and the rotating assembly only has 5k.:rolleyes:

bobtsgt
07-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I would say no on the smoking part. Sounds like its been beatin a little bit. Best bet would to wait for the numbers and see where they are at. Maybe also get him to take pics of each test just to verify. That way he can't fudge the numbers a little.

5.0calypso93lx
07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I would say no on the smoking part. Sounds like its been beatin a little bit. Best bet would to wait for the numbers and see where they are at. Maybe also get him to take pics of each test just to verify. That way he can't fudge the numbers a little.

This was his response for me asking for the leakdown and compression test:

"that is normal on a nitrous motor. there is no reason for me to do a compression ad leakdown test. the motor is NEW and has zero issues. like i said it only happens if you sit at a redlight toolong and then take off. at the first rev when leaving. it will put out a little puff and that is it."

Yea, I'll pass....

Thanks for the help guys.

bobtsgt
07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
yeah. he shouldn't have had a problem doing one if he is that damn confident. If you wanted to confirm call up CHP and ask them about it.

5.0calypso93lx
07-28-2008, 12:31 PM
yeah. he shouldn't have had a problem doing one if he is that damn confident. If you wanted to confirm call up CHP and ask them about it.

Just got off the phone with CHP, and the guy said that although nitrous built engines are built with "looser" tolerances on the rings, blue smoke is not something that is normal.

So I responded to the guy with:

I just got off the phone with CHP, and they confirmed that nitrous motors do have "looser" clearances on the rings, but that the blue smoke is not something normal.

I just don't want to waste your time or mine, as this is quite a long drive for both of us. I went ahead and took extra pics and a video when you asked me to, so I'm not sure why you can't do the same for me if you are confident in the condition of the engine. I will gladly do a leakdown and compression test if you would like me to. Until I can get proof of the leakdown and compression tests, I'm going to have to pass.

So we'll see what he says. I didn't want to sound like a dick, but I'll be damned if I'm driving six hours in my car, to trade for a car with a hurt motor.

bobtsgt
07-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Thats about what I would write the guy. Especially being that far away. If he wants to play ball then he will. If not then it sounds like he is trying to pass it off to someone who doesn't know much other then they want a fast car.