PDA

View Full Version : Survivalist -- I have read the 1st 10 chapters

Pops Fun
07-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi
I have read the 1st 10 chapters and it is interesting. could this happen??

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/Lights%20Out.htm

Here's a teaser for the Lights Out noobs...
Lights Out
By Halffast
Chapter 1 � The Burst
�Damn it!, he exclaimed. Mark Turner didn�t curse often, but he was pissed. It wasn�t the fact that the lights went out that upset him. They did that three or four times a year in this older industrial section of town. What bothered him was the fact that the UPS unit hadn�t kept his computer running this time and he had lost over an hour�s worth of work. He picked up the phone to call computer support to bring him a new UPS and dialed their number with the help of the dim glow of the emergency lights. Nothing. He hung the phone up and then picked it up again, putting it up to his ear this time. No dial tone could be heard.
�Crap!�, he thought, �What ever happened took the phone system down too.�
Mark stepped out into the hall and some of the other accountants were already there.
�Hey, Mark.�
�Hey yourself, Jim.�
Jim Davis was Mark�s closest friend at work. No one could have guessed it by looking at them . They were complete opposites. Jim was six foot three, 215 pounds and had super jock written all over him. Mark was barely five foot nine, 185 pounds, and starting to go bald. Despite holding a black belt in karate and being a pretty good runner, he looked like a computer nerd. The two of them had spent countless weekends together hunting and fishing much to the chagrin of their wives.
�What�s the matter?�, Jim asked.
�Oh, it�s just that my UPS went bad and I lost a bunch of work.�, Mark answered.
�That�s strange, my UPS went down too. Maybe they bought a bad lot of them. Well, hopefully we�ll get to go home early with the power out and we can worry about it tomorrow.�
�Now, Jim.� Mark said looking over the top of his reading glasses with a sadistic smile. �You know that company policy says that we have to wait 30 minutes before we leave to see if the power comes back on, and you know that it will in 29 and a half minutes.�
�Yeah, I guess you�re right.�
After five or ten minutes of discussing the upcoming football season, the guys were interrupted by Suzy Smith, the office worry wart.
�Something is really wrong!�, she said.
�No joke.� Jim replied. �The power went out again.�

beentryin
07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
i read the first 10 chapters im hooked ill read the whole thing nice find