PDA

View Full Version : polishing aluminum

beentryin
08-02-2008, 08:27 PM
im trying to polish my valve cover this is my first attempt:mad:.
i got the light polishing compound and a sewn wheel its on my grinder:confused:i just cant get it to pop like i want any tips

excopcar
08-03-2008, 05:06 PM
dam dogg get it on with the polish dogg.big b here:bounce:heres daniels bed bug:flipoff:

mustangjon
08-03-2008, 10:01 PM
you need multiple buffs and compounds.. start course with a double sewn wheel, moved to single sewn for finer compound.. always clean buffs between compound change too.. takes a long time :(

beentryin
08-03-2008, 10:37 PM
well i got a fine compound today and another wheel its looking a lil better

INSANEBA
08-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I always start with a black emry rouge, and a double sewn wheel. After I have a mirror finish, I top it off with a white diamond rouge, and a softer wheel. That's where it will pop. The white brightens it sooo much! This ofcourse comes after hours of prep work, and yes it SUCKS!!!lol... But well worth it in my opinion...

INSANEBA
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Here's a set I did for my brother. I know the pic is a little dark, but you get the idea. One is finished, the other is only prepped. I dont quit until I can read extra fine print in my work lol...seriously...

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/INSANEBA/Brandonsstuff001.jpg

WARMACHINE
08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm no pro by any means,but i've had real good luck by wet sanding with 2000 and then going through the buffing steps. It goes real quick and looks like a mirror.

DeckerEnt
08-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I have a set of stock aluminum valve covers that are getting the polish thing. We started today with some 320 grit dry sandpaper. I could clear them right now and they would look satin finished. Going to get some finer paper, may wet sand, then polish with cloth wheels on a drill and then clear them so they stay looking good. Should look killer after I paint my cobra upper black.
Keith

INSANEBA
08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
I have a set of stock aluminum valve covers that are getting the polish thing. We started today with some 320 grit dry sandpaper. I could clear them right now and they would look satin finished. Going to get some finer paper, may wet sand, then polish with cloth wheels on a drill and then clear them so they stay looking good. Should look killer after I paint my cobra upper black.
Keith

Try using a good buffer to polish them with. You need higher RMS's than what the drill will give you. I've found that the speed, and the heat that it generates is what really makes them pop. Also, dont clear coat them. Find a really good sealer to rub on them, that way you can always re-shine it later on...:bigthumb

mustang8998
08-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Try using a good buffer to polish them with. You need higher RMS's than what the drill will give you. I've found that the speed, and the heat that it generates is what really makes them pop. Also, dont clear coat them. Find a really good sealer to rub on them, that way you can always re-shine it later on...:bigthumb

I agree, on the sealer. Clear tends to turn brown, with heat.

beentryin
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM

ive been using a 4 inch with a grinder should be around 9 to 11000 rpm im guessing ive got them alot better so far ill post when im satisfied

BIGHONKEY
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
I tend to just pay a pro like St. Bernard polishing or Dan's custom polishing MOST of the time because of how much a nasty mess it can be, and very time consuming. Gave St. Bernard polishing $40 and my cast valve covers and got them back blinging and blinding. Deff worth not making a mess and probably could never do that good of a job.

mustang8998
08-13-2008, 07:30 PM
I tend to just pay a pro like St. Bernard polishing or Dan's custom polishing MOST of the time because of how much a nasty mess it can be, and very time consuming. Gave St. Bernard polishing $40 and my cast valve covers and got them back blinging and blinding. Deff worth not making a mess and probably could never do that good of a job.

Is St. Bernard Polishing on Vine, south of Township (before the tracks)? I think I saw it the other day, while driving by. $40 isn't a bad price.

INSANEBA
08-15-2008, 10:51 AM

It is a messy and time consuming process, but I love doing it. I'm doing another bike right now, and it's getting the works. Polishing, stretching, slamming, and i'm gonna give it a one off paint scheme. I'm painting it orange, and making it a ZIG-ZAG rolling paper bike lol...I'll post pics when it's done lol...

BIGHONKEY
08-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Is St. Bernard Polishing on Vine, south of Township (before the tracks)? I think I saw it the other day, while driving by. $40 isn't a bad price.

Yeah, that's them. They can do most things. Most I ever paid there was $60 for a PITA huge valve cover (SR20). While they did that I took a bunch of smaller shit like water necks and brackets and he charged me $10 extra per piece.

Dans custom is good for more technical jobs and motorcycle guys (can't remembre the name)for real intricate shit.

BIGHONKEY
08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
It is a messy and time consuming process, but I love doing it. I'm doing another bike right now, and it's getting the works. Polishing, stretching, slamming, and i'm gonna give it a one off paint scheme. I'm painting it orange, and making it a ZIG-ZAG rolling paper bike lol...I'll post pics when it's done lol...

I post that and last night I did my own intake manifold. :D