PDA

View Full Version : My Explorer is now capable of 2 wheel drive!!!!

Black92LX
08-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Never really understood why Ford started using the Automatic 4wd system as the standard setup.
I guess it fills the needs for the soccer moms that didn't want a van.

But anyway today I decided I had enough of it and took matters into my own hands. I went out and bought 30 feet of wire, spliced a switch between the 4wd computer module and the transfer case.
When the switch is open I am in two wheel drive. If I close the switch it's back to normal Auto 4wd then I can switch into 4 wheel High and Low.

Another little option that this adds is 2 wheel low. Just open the switch and switch the car into 4 wheel low and it will still send the rear into the low setting!!!

Pretty easy modification really. Hardest part was running the wires.
I could have just put a switch on the dash but I thought it would look cheesy. So I ran it up the A pillar across the headliner and put the switch in the fold down sunglasses holder of the over head console. Can't see it at all unless you open the flap.

When and tested it out in some gravel and spun the back tires!!

Interested to see if I will gain a mpg or 2 with this new modification.

cstreu1026
08-02-2008, 09:55 PM
That that automatic 4WD stuff sucks. Our explorer never was really smooth when it engaged. Our Jeep is seamless though. I would bet you might pick up 1 or 2 mpg as well.

NaomiDstangLvr
08-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Hell, I'm not even sure ours works. My husband says it does, but when you push the button, it doesn't engage.

RIXXX93GT
08-02-2008, 11:35 PM
My expedition is setup the same way....sucks ass. I may have to try your switch idea also.

k062693w
08-02-2008, 11:47 PM
I owned an Exploder with it and hated it!!!! It was at the same time that the Firestone tires were supposedly blowing out, But I swear that the auto 4WD was the cause.. Think about it.. The rear starts to slide out, you counter steer to straighten it out. The auto 4WD senses the wheel spin and engages, pulling the front end in the opposite direction.. Had this happen many times to me while we lived in Northern Michigan, and driving in the snow. So I can imagine what it would do on a pretty much dry surface!!!
Wish I would have known about this then!!!!

Black92LX
08-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Hell, I'm not even sure ours works. My husband says it does, but when you push the button, it doesn't engage.

that's because Auto 4x4 is always engaged.

The button is there to bring it out of 4 wheel high and low. If 4 wheel High or 4 wheel low is not lit up then you are in Auto 4x4. There is no light for 4x4 Auto button.
That is unless you do this modification with a lighted switch. When you are in 2wd the light is very dim (due to the fact there is 1.5 volts running through when 4x4 is not engaged) then when 4x4 kicks in the light gets brighter because there is now about 5 volts going to the switch.

So the lighted switch also acts as an indicator for when 4x4 Auto is kicked actually in use.

NaomiDstangLvr
08-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Hm....didn't know that! Thanks for the input! ;):bigthumb

Rich
08-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I did that to my old Explorer. The best benefit...2LO, awesome holeshots!!!

PaulFiveOh
08-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Thats awesome man.

Were you able to finish the switch in to the trim all nice and right?

Black92LX
08-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Thats awesome man.

Were you able to finish the switch in to the trim all nice and right?

I put it up in sunglasses holder of the overhead console. So unless you pull the
flap down you can't even see it.
It's not flush there is about a 1/4" gap because the depth of the switch is a little deeper than the than the console.
Though one can't even really tell.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/Black92LX/DSCN0198.jpg

RIXXX93GT
08-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Care to give a little wiring diagram?

Timido
08-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I would bet that manual locking hubs might be worth some MPG on those trucks also. I put some on my excursion getting rid of the auto locking vaccum hubs that were wore out. Now I have 2wd low to move the trailer around without tearing up my trans.

Black92LX
08-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Care to give a little wiring diagram?

it depends on the year you have.
Here is a link to the 2002-2005 options.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194875

02-03 are different from 04-05

Buckeye
08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Wait till the worn rear tires allow the tranfer case to eat itself.

Black92LX
08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Wait till the worn rear tires allow the tranfer case to eat itself.
that's why one rotates their tires.