PDA

View Full Version : fuel pressure regulator

boostforever
08-09-2008, 03:58 PM
its on a 96 gt.how can you tell when these go bad?? it has a rough idle like a vacuum leak but when i take the vac line off and cover it with my finger the rough idle goes away and it idles at around 900rpm where it should.with the line on it idles between 500 and 700,just depends.also what should fuel pressure be at idle with and without vacuum??? Thanks guys

bobtsgt
08-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I believe its 39 with the line on and 42 with it off. Sounds like the regulator is still working. It is suppose to fluctuate like that with the vacuum there and not. Might want to check your plugs and see what they look like. Does it run rough anywhere else besides idle?

boostforever
08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
no,just at idle.It runs great going down the road.i think i found a vac leak yesterday though.Where the egr pressure sensor vac lines go down to that metal egr tube,i think that metal tube has a small split in it and its leaking there.DO those tend to do that any?? Yeah i think the regulator is working fine too.

bobtsgt
08-10-2008, 09:10 PM
yeah the EGR lines tend to crack due to the heat cycles

boostforever
08-10-2008, 10:22 PM
believe it or not thats kinda good to hear.i put new rubber lines that go from the egr pressure sensor to the egr tubes thinking the rubber lines were the problem,Because i knew there was something in that area when i sprayed carb cleaned in that area the motor would rev up so i knew i had a leak i just couldnt pen point it.Whats the best way to fix that tube? replace or seal the crack?? Thanks alot bob

bobtsgt
08-11-2008, 05:18 AM
its those rubber lines coming off the nipples of the EGR tube going to the DFPE. Basically its just a matter of taking them off (which can be a pain) and replacing them with high heat new ones. I had an EGR code get thrown everyday on mine due to my lines being gone. Then completely seperated apart causing the DFPE to get false readings. also check the red vacuum tube back there that goes to the EGR valve and the fuel pressure regulator. Those are known for cracking over time too. Come of the spray might have entered that way.

boostforever
08-11-2008, 07:03 PM
yeah those are the rubber lines i replaced.i was talking about the egr aluminum tube itself where those rubber lines from the dpfe connect at.it feels/looks like it has a crack in it.

bobtsgt
08-12-2008, 05:03 AM
there may be a crack in it but usually they don't unless they are rusty. Plus the EGR doesn't come into play until you are at a steady cruising speed and if it was EGR there should be a code popping up for it. Its a pain to get back in there to check.

boostforever
08-12-2008, 10:15 AM
yeah thats for sure.would the car be idling weird because i have an off road x pipe without mil eliminators??? i know that causes a check engine light but would it affect idle any? just curious

bobtsgt
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
yeah a little because the computer is going into safety limp mode when the light comes on. it dumps in more fuel so you don't blow things up. Do you need some eliminators?

boostforever
08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
yeah i do but im not in ohio anymore.i just moved down here to texas,so im trying to find some local performance places that either has them or can get them.

bobtsgt
08-13-2008, 08:11 AM
well if you can't find a pair I have some that I don't need anymore and I can ship.

boostforever
08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
heck man ill take them.whatcha want for them??

bobtsgt
08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
PM sent