PDA

View Full Version : T-5 tranny builders in here please

Mista Bone
08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
A friend on the east coast asked me this the other day........

Hey Bone, may have some work for you. My neighbor is doing a built stang. I know you are on stangbangers so I told him I'd ask. He's rebuilding his T-5 transmission with an aftermarket helical gearset. I think it's the new one from G-Force that's legal for NMRA Real Street. All I know for sure is it retails for around $1000 and includes just about everything. He was wondering if you're as good with the T-5 as I told him you are with our little civic trannies?? If so what would you charge to rebuild his T-5 if he shipped it to you and shipped you the new gearset and parts for it also. Last question is what would the turn around time be approximately. I dont think the car is gonna be ready til next season but I'm not sure.

I've never opened a T-5, Transman or Timido, you see any issues ahead, maybe either of you take on the job?

Timido
08-12-2008, 07:15 PM
The Dog Ring G-force stuff has a couple little tricks but they are not that difficult. Endplay is important and there is a special way to set the shifter stops. If it has syncros it is same as stock.

Mista Bone
08-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I told my buddy that likely I'd hand the job to you or transman, I'd just watch :)

RHecox
08-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Not trying to take anywork from Timido or Transman, but Bob Hanlon (Hanlon Motorsports) is on the east coast and could save your friend some money in shipping the tranny. Eitherway, it will turn out to be a nice transmission. Its what I use in my car.

Mista Bone
08-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I shall suggest them, might be close enough to drop off in person.

But then again maybe they already got a price quote and were shellshocked :)

NXcoupe
08-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Those trans do shift nice. They aren't that difficult to do at all.

Mista Bone
08-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Not trying to take anywork from Timido or Transman, but Bob Hanlon (Hanlon Motorsports) is on the east coast and could save your friend some money in shipping the tranny. Eitherway, it will turn out to be a nice transmission. Its what I use in my car.

"SWEET, I think he'll proably be happier going with that. It'll definitally be chaeper. He just found out the G-Force kit doesnt include the synchros and shit so he'd have to spend almost as much as he would for a sick new trans to get it rebuilt when its all said and done. He's debating selling the T-5 and g-Force kit and just getting a brand new Tremec. Looks like either way that place wuld have him covered! I'll keep you in the loop incase you care, thanks for the nudge in the right direction!"

purpleskunk
03-15-2009, 04:19 AM
i need my t5 fixed its missing 3rd. is that a tough job? i also need to change the input shaft. any tips?

mustang112
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
yeah just wondering too, is t5 hard to rebuild, ive never messed with trannys but im thinking of giving it a shot with the tranny i have here

Timido
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM
You best bet is to pick up a manual and open it up and check it out.

mustang112
03-15-2009, 09:26 PM
anyone got one cheap on here? ive seen they have videos and other step by step instructions for rebuilding one. i just dont know how good it would be to follow. plus i want something stronger then stock

Buckeye
03-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok so where is the cheapest place to buy a rebuild kit that take 500tq. What kit is the best?

mustang112
03-15-2009, 11:21 PM
hey buckeye, if you find a good kit let me know, thats what im looking for too.

Buckeye
03-15-2009, 11:30 PM
I have a good working t5 now and don't want to wait till it eats itself....

mustang112
03-15-2009, 11:41 PM
same here i also dont want to have to buy a tremec to support the power i should be making after im done building my engine.

Buckeye
03-15-2009, 11:50 PM
ya I want a 6060 bad but my bank account does not want to pay the bill......

CNTLOSE
03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
I know I learned on my first broke T5 unless you can rebuild it yourself, or a buddy can do it for you, it is almost always cheaper to buy a new heavy duty transmission.