PDA

View Full Version : Computer help....

DeckerEnt
08-14-2008, 12:45 AM
I want to transfer Hi-8 video to my laptop. My camcorder has an s-video out but it will not work with the laptop. I need a way to get the analog signal from the camcorder and put it in my PC. Is there an adapter that will convert the S Video to USB?

Mista Bone
08-14-2008, 03:34 AM
you likely gonna need a card for your PC.

Mr Loveless.........

mach_u
08-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Chances are if your laptop does have an S-video plug(which a lot do) but it is for output to a tv/projector/etc. and not for an input unfortunately. All that being said there are a bunch of capture USB adapters that you can purchase. Something like this would work just fine:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0258132
I imagine you can find even cheaper if you search around a little, especially online.
This is designed for laptop slots and would work well and give you the ability to watch TV on your laptop: :D
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10087406
All of these should come with some kind of capture software as well, if not Window's Movie Maker shouldn't have any issues capturing. Let me know if you have any other questions. :bigthumb

PaulFiveOh
08-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Mr Loveless.........

Does your laptop have a Firewire input on it Decker? It will say IEEE1394 or Firewire and look like a USB port.

You should look for a firewire device, not USB, if you want to maintain a very high FPS. It simply has a much higher throughput (That is assuming Hi-8 were shot at 30FPS..I wouldn't know, I wasn't alive heh heh)

Also, you will need a fairly beefy laptop to do this, so make sure you have at least a gig of ram. Thats the bare minimum.

Hangingcogs
08-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Go to Best buy. They sell a converter that you plug your video camera into and then it will plug into USB. They were about $80 a few years ago. I believe the one I got is made by Pinnacle and is the "Dazzle" edition.