PDA

View Full Version : Building a heavy duty work bench.

Lexstang
08-15-2008, 05:53 PM
I am building a heavy work bench out of lumber from pallets that they brought new forklifts into my distribution center. They had rough 4x4(dimensionally correct not like finished lumber actually 3.5X3.5) They are red oak. I went to home depot and was looking at the lumber connectors and was suprised. What I saw was expensive. I looked on lowes website and they have the same brand and are cheaper. but for 8x8 L's for $4.35and 8x12 T's and $3.60 I figured with those on the angles and 8" lag bolts with pilot holes then cinched down should be study enough to beat on anything hard enough to send the bench through the floor. But that is still about $87 for the L&T's + about 27.50 for 22 1/2x8 lag bolts. So over 100 bucks. Anyone got any cheaper ideas that would still be super sturdy?
I looked at both flat pieces(which is what is priced) and angled pieces which seemed more expensive and not as sturdy.

Lexstang
08-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I bet that oak would have been a could hundred bucks to buy, not to mention all the 2x6 cross pieces from pine.