PDA

View Full Version : Milling the choke horn off a carb...tips/opinions

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm thinking about milling the choke horn off my Holley, and i'm looking for some opinions and tips from anyone who's done it (Craig, Ken, anyone who's tuned a carb chime in).

My main concern here is that i'm using the stock '85 duel snorkel air breather, and with its drop base setup, the lid is really close to the top of the choke horn. I'm dead set on using this breather setup, so i'm curious if milling the choke will 1) improve flow and mainly 2) improve throttle response.

Secondly, i did a search and found a guy who said a carb with a milled choke will always run lean because the air bleeds aren't calibrated for the improved air flow. Is that true and should i worry about it?

I know buying a new main body like the Proform would be an easier option since it has screw in air bleeds and is already chokeless, but it's not in the budget. Lastly, i'm not worried about the lack of a choke, as i don't have a choke plate in the horn anyways and i never have starting issues, even in cold weather (just goose it a few times and it idles just fine).

Da Natti
08-19-2008, 07:23 PM
I removed mine with a hack saw ,and a dremel tool! Used a file for the finish!

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-19-2008, 07:26 PM
So did you have any lean issues like i mentioned? I seem to be reading a lot of mixed reviews. Some people say it's a complete waste of time all together, others say improved throttle response, others say it's only beneficial if you blend it down all the way to the top of the venturi openings like the Holley HP bodies are. I'm pretty skilled with a dremel and i'm fairly sure i can smooth it out all the way down to look like an HP, if it's gonna be worth while.

Da Natti
08-19-2008, 07:31 PM
i was for a blow thru setup! that is how they do it on turbomustangs.com i pulled the pick off there site! i did a eldelbrock carb the same way i had no trouble!

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
It was lean or it was beneficial? :lol:

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Well here's my results...much better throttle response and way better off idle response but once the secondaries open it's pretty hard to tell any difference. I'd say it was worth while though.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/EVIL85SSP/Mustang%20Pics%20and%20Videos/p8200077.jpg

satan jamez
08-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks good! How long did it take?

Da Natti
08-21-2008, 09:50 PM
looks real good!

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Took about an hour from start to finish. I used a hacksaw to cut it off and then a dremel and various bits to smooth and semi-polish it.

I tell ya what, it takes a lot of nerve to start sawing on your pride and joy Holley! This carb is real sentimental to me because i bought it new and i've learned pretty much everything i know about carbs on it so i was real sketchy about it but it turned out good.

Da Natti
08-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I know the feeling but turn out like it was done by holley! an eldelbrock does not look as pretty as a holley does in the end!