PDA

View Full Version : wiring a 79 for 86 GT items

7950conversion
08-19-2008, 10:41 PM
I have a 79 coupe, 4 banger, auto (was, completely empty now). I also have an 86 GT conv that I stripped for the motor, 5 speed, pwr windows, pwr locks, AC, etc. The issue that I have is that the GT is pretty rough. The 79 was a no options car except for the automatic. I would like to wire all of the good items like the windows, locks, air, wipers, etc. but the wiring harness on the 86 has been hacked and the AC wires are burnt. Where can I get a wiring harness or something to fix it. I contacted Painless, but they do not have anything at this time.

I am not going to run the fuel injection for now. I am going to carb the engine. I am also going to an MSD distributor and probably 6AL box, so what do I do with the Duraspark for the 79? What do I keep, what do I toss?

I am getting back into Fords. I have been in the GM arena for a long time and do not know where to start. My first car was a 72 Maverick, so I do know Fords somewhat, but I am getting into foreign territory. HELP!!!!

facemelter71
08-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Even though your going carb i believe your still going to need the duraspark and the distributor,or just swap it for what you had in the 86.what part of the wiring harness are you lookin for.I just stripped my 86 vert i had at home and i tried to remove it as one piece,but i cant say the same for my dad.It might be missing some stuff,but its not to terribly bad.

Timido
08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Start drawing a wiring diagram and start from scratch. That or buy a street rod style wiring harness.